ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Friggin' Avalache top line is just pure brilliance right now. Don't know how long they can sustain their crazy pace (Rantanan and Mac are on course for roughly 130 points with both having 2 more tonight) but it's pretty cool to watch.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Friggin' Avalache top line is just pure brilliance right now. Don't know how long they can sustain their crazy pace (Rantanan and Mac are on course for roughly 130 points with both having 2 more tonight) but it's pretty cool to watch.
It seems like they're really rolling, picking up momentum and crushing everything in their path and absolutely burying the opposition like a...a...someone help here?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
He's gone finally....but nothing will change. Why the f*** did they let him negotiate the Koskinen extension on the way out? And then all the infrastructure still in place must have signed off on the deal.

This changes nothing we will still be trash and McDavid will be gone by 2022

Reactions: seventieslord

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
He's gone finally....but nothing will change. Why the **** did they let him negotiate the Koskinen extension on the way out? And then all the infrastructure still in place must have signed off on the deal.

This changes nothing we will still be trash and McDavid will be gone by 2022
What's fascinating is that you've got one source (Dreger) saying the entire organization wanted their current starter extended for multiple seasons, and another (Spector) saying that Koskinen's agent talked to Chia and Chia only. While both of these things could be factually true, they do seem to contradict each other in spirit.

There's a fascinating book to be written about this down the road - maybe even written by Chiarelli himself.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
What's fascinating to me is how the two Albertan teams have fared this century.

In the last 15 years (since Phaneuf), Calgary has only been bad enough to be in the top half of the draft with Baertschi, Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk, only the first of which isn't on the Flames roster.

Edmonton, however, has been bad enough to be in the top half of the draft in 11 of those 15 years, including 4 number ones. And most are absent from the roster, and the team hasn't benefited from their last 15 years in terms of franchise success, other than a posterboy and a playoff run flirtation.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Speaking for Montreal, it's nice to finally have a decent pool of prospects.Poehling, Suzuki, Brooks, Romanov and Kotkaniemi, plus a young player like Drouin is a solid base to build the team moving forward.Still wished we had kept Sergachev so he could play with Shea Weber in his older days.I'm not as skeptical about Weber as some others are; I think he can play up to age 40 and be valuable, but he needs a good partner.Same with Price; not worried.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Speaking for Montreal, it's nice to finally have a decent pool of prospects.Poehling, Suzuki, Brooks, Romanov and Kotkaniemi, plus a young player like Drouin is a solid base to build the team moving forward.Still wished we had kept Sergachev so he could play with Shea Weber in his older days.I'm not as skeptical about Weber as some others are; I think he can play up to age 40 and be valuable, but he needs a good partner.Same with Price; not worried.

A half rebuild... we'll see. Suzuki looks lazy to me. Romanov... if he turns into an old Hamrlik, I'll be happy. Brooks is a good skater. Poehling a second line center? Love KK. Drouin scares me, but is old school - puts up points but doesn't like to play defense.

I was hoping for a full rebuild, but Molson Coors won't allow it. Just like the 50m they made on the PK trade, it's all business.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I joined a 9 team Baseball ATD. I'm seeded 7th. These are my starters and top 3 relievers.

1. Walter Johnson - 147 ERA+
2. L Sandy Koufax - 131 ERA+
3. Tom Seaver - 127 ERA+
4. L Carl Hubbell - 130 ERA+
----------------------------------
Average ERA+ 134

Regular Season 5. L Hal Newhouser - 130 ERA+

Bullpen

#2 RP All Time - Closer Rollie Fingers - 341 SVs
#3 RP All Time - Setup/Closer Trevor Hoffman - 601 SVs
#13 RP All Time - Closer L Sparky Lyle - 238 SVs

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I joined a 9 team Baseball ATD. I'm seeded 7th. These are my starters and top 3 relievers.

1. Walter Johnson - 147 ERA+
2. L Sandy Koufax - 131 ERA+
3. Tom Seaver - 127 ERA+
4. L Carl Hubbell - 130 ERA+
----------------------------------
Average ERA+ 134

Regular Season 5. L Hal Newhouser - 130 ERA+

Bullpen

#2 RP All Time - Closer Rollie Fingers - 341 SVs
#3 RP All Time - Setup/Closer Trevor Hoffman - 601 SVs
#13 RP All Time - Closer L Sparky Lyle - 238 SVs

That’s a heckuva strikeout staff.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
That’s a heckuva strikeout staff.
Thanks. I thought 3 of the top dozen starters ever pitching 6 of 7 games with 2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 13 relievers ever pitching the 7th-9th innings would do better. I like pitching, defense, speed, longevity, and durability. They like hitting and peak so it's not a great league for me, but I've always liked the team building part and had little interest in the playoffs.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"5 Boston Bruins - Doug Harvey
6 Toronto Maple Leafs - Maurice Richard
7 Colorado Rockies - Jean Beliveau
8 Montreal Canadiens - Raymond Bourque
9 Winnipeg Jets - Guy LaFleur
10 Los Angeles Kings - Eddie Shore
11 Pittsburgh Penguins - Patrick Roy
12 New Jersey Devils - Bobby Hull"

It's nice to see a vet from the second ATD returning. That's the first round of the first ATD.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks. I thought 3 of the top dozen starters ever pitching 6 of 7 games with 2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 13 relievers ever pitching the 7th-9th innings would do better. I like pitching, defense, speed, longevity, and durability. They like hitting and peak so it's not a great league for me, but I've always liked the team building part and had little interest in the playoffs.

Depends on the offense you are able to put together, but I think you said it's a small draft? If you go with a Bill James approach to your offense, I'd be surprised if your pitching wasn't enough to get it done. There's everything in that staff other than a lefty out of the pen. But Johnson and Koufax have to be the two greatest starters ever, and they can pitch for days even if you adjust. In a 7-game series, forgetaboudit.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Not likely to need a stacked bullpen with that staff anyway.
1.Babe Ruth+ (22)206L
2.Ted Williams+ (19)190L
3.Barry Bonds (22)182L
4.Lou Gehrig+ (17)179L
5.Rogers Hornsby+ (23)175R
Mike Trout (8, 26)175R
7.Mickey Mantle+ (18)172B
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Agreed. My problem is that I want to make a team that would work in real life. You can have all the great sluggers (see above), but if you don't have pitching and defense it won't work. If someone made an ATD team and took the best offensive player in every round, their team would be bad. I need to find GMs with similar values.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Lemieux is ranked 12th all time behind Sawchuk by The Hockey Fanatic presents the Top 100 NHL Players of All-Time – 2015 edition. :eek: Top 100 NHL Players of All-Time – TheHockeyFanatic

90s-present players are the best ever, because before the 90s there were no international players such as Mikita. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad