Prospect Info: At 23rd Overall the Ducks take Centre Isac Lundestrom

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, but you can play that game with any draft pick in any round. Only one team makes the absolute best pick in a round, our guys have to just take their shot and if the kid turns out to be a good NHLer that's a win.

Yep, for all our great drafting, I'm not sure how often we've made the very best pick possible early on. For example, our first three picks in 2011(Rakell, Gibson, Karlsson) were incredible yet none of them were the best player still on the board(Kucherov). Good drafting is hard enough, perfection is a completely unreasonable standard.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yep, for all our great drafting, I'm not sure how often we've made the very best pick possible early on. For example, our first three picks in 2011(Rakell, Gibson, Karlsson) were incredible yet none of them were the best player still on the board(Kucherov). Good drafting is hard enough, perfection is a completely unreasonable standard.
Tons of teams missed Kucherov. Every year people fly under the radar and that doesnt mean everyone is horrible at drafting. Some guys just develop in ways that are really hard to predict.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Tons of teams missed Kucherov. Every year people fly under the radar and that doesnt mean everyone is horrible at drafting. Some guys just develop in ways that are really hard to predict.

Yeah that's the point. Perfection is a ridiculous and impossible standard, you can only judge a team's drafting on how their own guys turn out. In this case, Veleno is irrelevant and it's all on Lundestrom to justify that pick.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wasn’t crazy about the pick when it went down but everything about him since the pick happened has been positive. No injury concerns either so far which is great

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
When will he go to the national team for WJC? I saw his team plays December 19 and I'll be in Europe by then, I was thinking of going and catching the game if he'll still be there. WJC starts just after Christmas, right?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah that's the point. Perfection is a ridiculous and impossible standard, you can only judge a team's drafting on how their own guys turn out. In this case, Veleno is irrelevant and it's all on Lundestrom to justify that pick.
I misread what you were saying there

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
When will he go to the national team for WJC? I saw his team plays December 19 and I'll be in Europe by then, I was thinking of going and catching the game if he'll still be there. WJC starts just after Christmas, right?

That's a week before the tournament starts so he'd surely be in camp with team Sweden by then. They play a couple pre tournament games in the week prior.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That's a week before the tournament starts so he'd surely be in camp with team Sweden by then. They play a couple pre tournament games in the week prior.

I kind of figured, I was hoping he'd be playing but didn't check the WJC schedule until today. Do they usually play the pre-tournament games in the country the tournament will be in or is there a chance they'll play closer to home?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I kind of figured, I was hoping he'd be playing but didn't check the WJC schedule until today. Do they usually play the pre-tournament games in the country the tournament will be in or is there a chance they'll play closer to home?

It varies depending on the year, team and location of the tournament...so tough to say for sure.

With the event being in Western Canada this year, my best guess would be that team's would be arriving at least a week in advance and probably playing an exhibition game or two at smaller venues nearby.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It varies depending on the year, team and location of the tournament...so tough to say for sure.

With the event being in Western Canada this year, my best guess would be that team's would be arriving at least a week in advance and probably playing an exhibition game or two at smaller venues nearby.

Ok thanks, hopefully they'll have a game in Sweden after the 16th. I would have thought the tournament would be a little earlier/ later so they didn't have to travel around the holidays

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Dont have official info but it’s almost guaranteed he won’t be there in Sweden by Dec 19th. Likely playing the first pre tournament game in Canada by then.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!

The top center it sounds like from the coach

Seems more like the journalist's interpretation of the center situation, though he does quote Monten calling Lundestrom the best forward on the team.

My comment does not come from the coach's comments, but rather from the usage the coach gave him, which was as the 2C behind Olofsson at the summer showcase. Olofsson was given the better wingers every night, except one game where Lundestrom was given Elvenes and Oloffson had some average guys. That one game was the last game of the showcase though, so maybe Monten was slowly coming around on the idea of playing his best wingers with his best C (Lundestrom), which he should do at the WJC, IMO.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
... where Lundestrom was given Elvenes ...
Little off topic:
This again is why I don't understand our 2017 draft. Comtois and Morand are fine picks. But not going after Batherson with our 3rd, and they looked closely on him according to Madden. Ok, Baldini looks ok and can be a solid one. But missing out Elvenes with the 122 overall and going for Olsen is what I don't understand at all. Elvenes had great numbers in junior and he just improved from there. He would have been a typical Ducks pick as well.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Little off topic:
This again is why I don't understand our 2017 draft. Comtois and Morand are fine picks. But not going after Batherson with our 3rd, and they looked closely on him according to Madden. Ok, Baldini looks ok and can be a solid one. But missing out Elvenes with the 122 overall and going for Olsen is what I don't understand at all. Elvenes had great numbers in junior and he just improved from there. He would have been a typical Ducks pick as well.
Baldini, lol. Are you talking about Getzy?

Oct 18, 2011
Little off topic:
They aren't going to hit on every pick dude. Comtois has easily far out performed his draft position and Morand has performed at a level that's normal for a second rounder

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Little off topic:

Drafting would be a lot easier if you could do so with hindsight.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Little off topic:
Meh our 2017 draft looks pretty good to me considering we didn't have a pick until 50, and only 5 total picks in the draft. Cant complain really. After the first round teams have different things they look into.

Honestly Batherson didn't go until 121... so a lot of teams passed up on him. Elvenes I don't know enough on to make a judgement... but I assume there was something someone saw in olson that warrented them grabbing him.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I wouldn't panic about our 2017 draft just yet. Badini is obviously a long-term project (because Harvard), but he had a pretty good rookie season in the NCAA.

Olson's season was ruined by injuries, that's obviously something that no scout can see coming. We can only hope that he bounces back and has a strong season (or two) in the WHL.

Reactions: Masch78
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Everything I've heard about Lunderström since he was drafted has got me hyped. All aboard!

ElegantDistantHalcyon-small.gif

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad