Prospect Info: At 23rd Overall the Ducks take Centre Isac Lundestrom

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well O`Reilly was picked #31 and started his great career right away. Some guys are just built for the pro-game I guess.

We`ll see what happens. Probably it is better for him to go to Sweden for at least another year but I am happy he will get a taste/feel of the NHL training camp. Good news imo
The 1 thing I will say is his game prob easier to transition to the nhl level than Steel/morand/kossila… were likely going to be desperate for center help this year.... and I wouldn't be shocked if he beats out those guys(maybe not kossila). Granted ive only seen limited play from him, but ill be sure to check him out at camp/preseason.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is very good positional from what I've seen and never cheats or takes a shift off

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Lundeström looks like the most pro ready forward we have drafted for a while.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would prefer he go back to Sweden for another year there. He needs to be in a situation where he is counted on to be a team's #1C and develop his offensive game. If he plays in the NHL this year it will be as a bottom 6 guy and his offense will likely never properly develop.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I would prefer he go back to Sweden for another year there. He needs to be in a situation where he is counted on to be a team's #1C and develop his offensive game.

That most likely won't be the case with his Swedish team Lulea, either, considering the team's captain, Niklas Olausson, has been a significantly more productive player. It realistically wouldn't happen in most places in the Euro leauges, considering an 18 year old being a #1 center in a professional league is insanely rare. If you're looking for an 18-year old to be counted on as a team's #1C, you're looking at a junior assignment, and that won't happen in Sweden, and I'm not sure Lundeström would be up for it after playing against men for most of the past two years.

Reactions: Duck Off

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Steel is 2 years older than him. I know age doesn’t determine readiness always but I’d be pretty surprised if Lundestrom
Made the team before Steel

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That most likely won't be the case with his Swedish team Lulea, either, considering the team's captain, Niklas Olausson, has been a significantly more productive player. It realistically wouldn't happen in most places in the Euro leauges, considering an 18 year old being a #1 center in a professional league is insanely rare. If you're looking for an 18-year old to be counted on as a team's #1C, you're looking at a junior assignment, and that won't happen in Sweden, and I'm not sure Lundeström would be up for it after playing against men for most of the past two years.

Point taken but he needs to play in at least a top 6 role at this point in his very young career. I've seen too many young guys rushed into the NHL before they were ready to be comfortable with him in a bottom 6 role with the Ducks next year. In watching him, it is obvious that he has offensive skills but he needs to develop them and get real PP time. Lulea is the best chance for that to happen. I don't think he was taken in the CHL import draft so junior hockey is probably not an option.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm 99% sure he's not making the NHL, there's too many guys ahead of him and I don't think he's ready regardless. I watched him play in the Summer Showcase over the weekend, and while he looked good, he didn't look like an NHL player yet, although he clearly had a more advanced skillset compared to much of the rest of the competition.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If he makes it, Does he play the third line and Steel play the fourth? (assuming Steel makes it)

Can't run with two rookie centers, that's either throwing them to the wolves or putting too much of the defensive/PK load on Getzlaf and Henrique.

If Kesler isn't ready to go, we need an experienced NHL center to take on a checking role. Then you can have the rookies compete to center a third "scoring line" which would allow them to be properly sheltered.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If Kesler is healthy I think you need to consider moving Henrique to LW to help our offense. Devils fans have said he’s pretty great there and we have an obvious need for a producer like him in that spot, while sliding Steel to 3C

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Henrique-Steel-Kase
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves
Gibbons

Allows Steel to be broken in with talented players but not be overwhelmed

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If Kesler is healthy I think you need to consider moving Henrique to LW to help our offense. Devils fans have said he’s pretty great there and we have an obvious need for a producer like him in that spot, while sliding Steel to 3C

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Henrique-Steel-Kase
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves
Gibbons

I don't mind that line up.. .solid depth

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Henrique-Steel-Kase
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves
Gibbons

For some reason I thought Rowney was more of a RW than center.

I'm thinking if Kesler is healthy, he centers the "matchup line" along with Cogs and one of the two new checkers (Gibbons/Rowney), maybe Eaves.

Getzlaf obviously mans the top line, and Henrique/rookie center scoring lines 2A & B.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

Ritchie - Henrique - Kase [I liked these three together]

Silfverberg - Rookie - Eaves [ Lot's of veteran insulation for a rookie center, talk of moving Silf to LW, maybe a more offensive role sparks a bit more production]

Cogliano - Kesler- Rowney/Gibbons [Tough dzone assignments + plenty of PK, and we know Cogs + healthy Kesler will chip in secondary offense]

A truly deep four line hockey team, if a rookie center steps up and owns a spot, and Kesler is ready to go.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

I'm thinking if Kesler is healthy, he centers the "matchup line" along with Cogs and one of the two new checkers (Gibbons/Rowney), maybe Eaves.

Getzlaf obviously mans the top line, and Henrique/rookie center scoring lines 2A & B.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

Silfverberg - Rookie - Eaves [ Lot's of veteran insulation for a rookie center, talk of moving Silf to LW, maybe a more offensive role sparks a bit more production]

Cogliano - Kesler- Rowney/Gibbons [Tough dzone assignments + plenty of PK, and we know Cogs + healthy Kesler will chip in secondary offense]

A truly deep four line hockey team, if a rookie center steps up and owns a spot, and Kesler is ready to go.
Should be noted that RC was interviewed by the Athletic the other day and in the interview stated that Plan A for Eaves was to put him back with Getzlaf. So there is that. I still think BM is trying to move Perry and when he finally gives up on that notion trades Silf instead.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

Its a very exciting idea, but I just don't buy Carlyle being into it. Really hoping Steel can take the job and run with it .

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

I think the key for something like this is how our rookies play. Specifically Steel and Terry. I'm kind of hoping they play too well to hold back. Which is basically saying that they outplay Gibbons and Rowney which isn't a stretch. Then, I hope our bottom 6 would be this...

Silf - Steel - Terry
Cogs - Kesler - Eaves

I think those could be two solid (hopefully) lines. I think it all comes down to whether or not Rowney and Gibbons get outplayed.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry is much more likely to make team

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I'm pretty sure that every prospect who attends a camp will say that their plan is to make the big club. I'm confident that he'll play this season in Sweden.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Short write-up from The Hockey News:
I was floored when the Anaheim Ducks got Lundestrom 23rd overall this summer – I figured another team ahead of them would have been smart enough to snap up the talented two-way center. Based on his performance at the WJSS, Lundestrom is already causing rumblings that he could make the NHL roster right away and even if he doesn’t, look for him to crush the world juniors in Vancouver.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Man, sure are a lot of positive vibes around this pick. Forward version of Hampus thus far.
I think the big issue is how Veleno turns out; does forward Lindholm turn out to be better than forward Dumba this time? Lundestrom is looking like a great prospect in the early going but there's still the possibility that Veleno turns down the Getzlaf road rather than the Holland one, in which case we might be bummed out even if Lundestrom does turn into a solid 50-point 2C.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think the big issue is how Veleno turns out; does forward Lindholm turn out to be better than forward Dumba this time? Lundestrom is looking like a great prospect in the early going but there's still the possibility that Veleno turns down the Getzlaf road rather than the Holland one, in which case we might be bummed out even if Lundestrom does turn into a solid 50-point 2C.
Yeah, but you can play that game with any draft pick in any round. Only one team makes the absolute best pick in a round, our guys have to just take their shot and if the kid turns out to be a good NHLer that's a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad