At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Guys, breaking news here.

I think Sebastian Cossa might be related to Jean Ralphio from Parks and Rec and Steve from Stranger Things.

Sebass_1-780x520-1024x683.jpg
Sebastian-Cossa.jpg

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
That makes sense. Rinne in particular is a comparable that stood out to me a lot watching this kid play.

He definitely shows a psychological edge that I like in a goalie. Seems like the competitive type of person always ready to punch first (instead of getting punched), which coincides with how they describe his battle level.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That makes sense. Rinne in particular is a comparable that stood out to me a lot watching this kid play.

He definitely shows a psychological edge that I like in a goalie. Seems like the competitive type of person always ready to punch first (instead of getting punched), which coincides with how they describe his battle level.

Ugh. You guys are going to make me like this pick, aren't you?

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Yeah he mentioned they talked to him a lot leading to the draft. Good to know he impressed them and has a solid head on his shoulders.
Interesting to contrast with Pronman’s comments about Wallstedt falling due to concerns about work ethic

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ugh. You guys are going to make me like this pick, aren't you?

He himself will do that. He seemingly has likable quirkiness. I wonder if his Twitter feed has ruminatings about the universe, haha.

I'm still kind of anti-goalie in the 1st round but what's done is done, hehe.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Per Hailey Salvian, The Athletic:

In his six seasons at the minor and major junior levels, Cossa has never had a save percentage below .915, with the exception of a two-game stint for Team Canada White for the U17 world championship

In 52 WHL games over the last two seasons, Cossa has a 38-7-4 record, a 1.98 goals-against average and a .928 save percentage. He only lost two straight starts once over that span.

Some scouts like Wallstedt’s technical game and that he appears to be more developed as a pro-ready goalie while others believe Cossa has a higher ceiling

Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
We had literally no goalies of note in the system... unless you thought Carter Gylander was gonna swing back and nab the net.

We just lost Petruzelli, Larsson was very disappointing, Von Pottelberghe isn't coming to NA, which saddens me.

Goalie of the future was a massive hole for this team. So was center... but Cossa could potentially be an elite goalie. Were there any real elite centers at where we picked?
No

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman answered Wings' 'future of our goalie depth' question in less than 48 hours by adding Ned and Cossa...

Wings top 4 on defense looking pretty promising if things work out. Next 2 drafts focus on centers and scoring.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Montreal just got to the SCF on the back of moderate defence and some amazing goaltending. Not a superstar forward on that roster. I hope one of our Goaltenders and the new D guy turn it up.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Montreal just got to the SCF on the back of moderate defence and some amazing goaltending. Not a superstar forward on that roster. I hope one of our Goaltenders and the new D guy turn it up.

Then they got blown out in the finals and are likely to not even make the playoffs next year.

We should not be trying to build a team in the mold of one that flukes their way deep one year and falls back into obscurity.

Reactions: jkutswings

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Wallstedt played vs men at 17 in a pro league. That has happened maybe 2-3 times in the past 20 years in the SHL.
Cossa has played in the juniors. I know which goalie I rate higher...

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Wallstedt played vs men at 17 in a pro league. That has happened maybe 2-3 times in the past 20 years in the SHL.
Cossa has played in the juniors. I know which goalie I rate higher...

I think it's totally fair to prefer Wallstedt, a lot of folks do.

But to be fair to Cossa, he didn't really have an avenue to play pro hockey this year. Canadian and American prospects simply don't play pro hockey in their draft years, with the rare exception of guys like Austin Matthews and some kids moving for COVID reasons. The CHL/USHL/NCAA still produce excellent talent.

Reactions: Vandalay Industries

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
You guys are so caught up with stats and what they did, it is all about potential and fatal flaws. AA jumps to mind.

I can't imagine Hakan, Lidstrom, and Kronwall saw fatal flaws in Edvinsson.

Yzerman's tract record on goalies is not bad. It is worth the cost.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Per Hailey Salvian, The Athletic:

In his six seasons at the minor and major junior levels, Cossa has never had a save percentage below .915, with the exception of a two-game stint for Team Canada White for the U17 world championship

In 52 WHL games over the last two seasons, Cossa has a 38-7-4 record, a 1.98 goals-against average and a .928 save percentage. He only lost two straight starts once over that span.

Some scouts like Wallstedt’s technical game and that he appears to be more developed as a pro-ready goalie while others believe Cossa has a higher ceiling
I don't know how much of that is on the team, probably a lot.. but that's a great stat in my eyes. One of the hallmarks of great players and great goalies in particular is the ability to bounce back from a bad game with a great one.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting to contrast with Pronman’s comments about Wallstedt falling due to concerns about work ethic

Also interesting that Wallstedt lives on the same street as Nicklas Lidström.

We have at least some extra information, to pick or avoid him.

Quite telling when they go and reach for Cossa in front of Wallstedt. There was some reason to avoid the Swede.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Then they got blown out in the finals and are likely to not even make the playoffs next year.

We should not be trying to build a team in the mold of one that flukes their way deep one year and falls back into obscurity.

For a fanbase that endlessly bitched about Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Bernier and Thomas Greiss… you’d think actually spending some assets to address the goalie position would be a positive.

Oh and Tampa actually leaned pretty heavily on the Jolly Russian Giant vasilevskiy in that whole series and playoffs

Reactions: Ricelund

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
For a fanbase that endlessly bitched about Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Bernier and Thomas Greiss… you’d think actually spending some assets to address the goalie position would be a positive.

Oh and Tampa actually leaned pretty heavily on the Jolly Russian Giant vasilevskiy in that whole series and playoffs

Im not mad we took Cossa, I don’t like the idea of projecting our future to resemble Montreal’s

I’m not saying the Red Wings are doing that either, I’m just saying our fans should aspire higher.

Reactions: ricky0034

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Im not mad we took Cossa, I don’t like the idea of projecting our future to resemble Montreal’s

Yeah. But just taking some good goalies doesn’t mean we are doing that.

Also, if the Habs any other GM than Bargain Bin… their defense would not have been Weber-Chiarot- Edmundson-Petry.

you would chuck out Chiarot for Sergachev and Edmundson for Mcdonagh.

I mean, without some truly awful trades on that defense, Montreal would be in a much better place.

Reactions: ricky0034

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Also interesting that Wallstedt lives on the same street as Nicklas Lidström.

We have at least some extra information, to pick or avoid him.

Quite telling when they go and reach for Cossa in front of Wallstedt. There was some reason to avoid the Swede.

Excellent point.

One thing fans often fail to recognize and also makes it very troubling for scouts is to identify what level of development a player is at. Particularly the goalies.

The best player at 18 isn't necessarily the best player at 22. As per Henkka's post I think Lidström has come back with information that perhaps Wallstedt was very early developed and perhaps pretty close to his ceiling. Perhaps they have a feeling that his mindset isn't gonna take him as far as Cossa's.

This very much doesn't strike me as a coincidential trade and draft. They obviously were very set on taking Cossa. I have to respect that not knowing the mental state of any of these players. I was only having the idea the Wallstedt was better because so many draft rankings said so. Well they happen to be wrong many times each year.

I'm sure Yzerman's staff has done a deep dive into this and I have confidence in it being a good choice.

I was happy to have Cossa at 22 as I wrote yesterday and I was uncomfortable with taking a goalie at 6.

I'm excited about the new goalie situation, but still worried about one spot: The top center.

Reactions: Henkka

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
After Nedeljkovic, I considered that the Wings still needed goaltending, but I didn't think they'd go after it in the early rounds.

I did say previously that if Stevie were to draft a goalie, it would be with his second pick, not his first and therefore I could picture him being more into Cossa than Wallstedt who was more popular in hockey media.

If Steve was going to be able to pick a goalie with his second pick, whoever it was, I believe he did need to make that trade. I don't think Wallstedt or Cossa would've been there at 22/23.

I had no way of knowing Cossa would be his first choice. What I like about Stevie though is that - it's apparent - that he relies on his scouts and on his own judgement. He doesn't seem to be influenced by hockey media on his picks, but gives us his own considerable wisdom and expertise.

I like Edvinsson and I like Cossa, so I have no problems with these picks, but I was surprised by his pick of Cossa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad