At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
2012 was the last time there were two goaltenders selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. With Jesper Wallstedt highly likely to be the first goalie off the board this year, Edmonton Oil Kings goalie Sebastian Cossa will try to make it two first-rounders again. A second-round pick, 36th overall, by the Oil Kings in the 2017 WHL Draft, Cossa has been impressive in his time in the WHL. This season he was limited to just 19 games due to the COVID shortened season. He had a 17-1-1 record with a .941 save percentage and 1.57 goals-against average. Cossa also had four shutouts. His performance was, quite simply, dominant.

In 2019-20, Cossa played 33 games. He put up a 21-6-3 record with a .921 save percentage and 2.23 goals-against average. He also added four shutouts. Unfortunately, the global pandemic prevented Cossa from getting any playoff experience. In 2018-19 he played in two games for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He had an .895 save percentage and a 3.03 goals-against average. He also played for Team Alberta at the 2017 WHL Cup, making it to the final before losing.

Sebastian Cossa Scouting Report

2021 NHL Draft #19: Sebastian Cossa Scouting Report

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
always kinda felt like Wallstedt was pretty overrated by a lot on here compared to Cossa

guess the Wings agree(although I did still have Wallstedt ahead just not by a lot)

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Top guy on my board.
Twice in a row.
Good pick. Glad Stevie moved up, even though it was expensive.
Could be a franchise goalie.

With as many picks as we have, losing a 5th rounder is pretty insignificant.

I view this by looking at reasonable impact picks. It’s Cossa for 23+48. I call that a win considering it wasn’t even our earliest 2nd.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I just want to know how the f* Bench brainwashed Stevie into trading up to take a goalie.

Don't hate the pick, but hate the trade up. Somehow they got fixated on a freakin' goalie and did a panic trade?!?!

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad