At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Winnipeg has scored 40 goals in 7 games. 5.71 GPG.

Winnipeg Ice at eliteprospects.com

Who is this Zach Benson kid? He's also a 2023 eligible that is tearing things up.

says its from 2019 so makes sense how young he looks in it I guess but thought his eliteprospects picture was funny :laugh:

854fb64781b2f5e568a0af351476211d.png

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Winnipeg has scored 40 goals in 7 games. 5.71 GPG.

Winnipeg Ice at eliteprospects.com

Who is this Zach Benson kid? He's also a 2023 eligible that is tearing things up.

Yeah Benson is a really sharp player. A bit undersized (although not as undersized as Ricky's picture suggests lol), but a really nice skill set as a winger. Point totals are naturally assisted by the talent on that team, but I think he's at the top end of a strong 2023 class.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Edmonton are eviscerating Red Deer tonight, up 3-0 and outshooting them like 25-6 or something in the second. Oil Kings likely complete their second sweep tonight.

Edit: Cossa beaten on a nice breakaway, 3-1 Oil Kings.

Edit 2: beaten by a good backhand, made a couple nice stops too. Save percentage will be meh but those games where the offense is stop and start can be tricky. I thought he was solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: bedtime20

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Edmonton are eviscerating Red Deer tonight, up 3-0 and outshooting them like 25-6 or something in the second. Oil Kings likely complete their second sweep tonight.

Edit: Cossa beaten on a nice breakaway, 3-1 Oil Kings.
Oil kings are just too stacked. Red dear can’t even attempt to keep up with them

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Oil kings are just too stacked. Red dear can’t even attempt to keep up with them

Parts of the series have been pretty close hockey, but tonight I think Red Deer is kinda cooked. They're battling some injuries and it's tough for kids to keep their head up down 3-0 in a series.

Dylan Guenther is a player. Wouldn't trade Edvinsson for him, but he's a real talent.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Realistically, what is next for Cossa? He turns 20 in November, so I believe he would be AHL eligible.

What is the best development path for a goalie? It has been a while since we were successful at it.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Realistically, what is next for Cossa? He turns 20 in November, so I believe he would be AHL eligible.

What is the best development path for a goalie? It has been a while since we were successful at it.
Have him as the backup for the Griffin’s, and let him be mentored by Pickard or Hellberg. Just try to get him used to pro hockey.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would have him be a backup here like Spencer Knight is in FLA
Knight played 2 years of college after the draft, plus they probably gave him NHL games right off the bat to entice him to sign. (Beniers and Power did the same this season to burn off a a year of ELC.)

Cossa is eligible for a slide, so it makes no sense to start him in the NHL right away, plus Ned is too inconsistent to rely on a 19 year old rookie backup.

Split starts in the AHL, and then call him up when he's ready. That's what the Caps did with Neuvirth, Holtby, Varlamov, Samsonov, Grubauer, and Vanacek.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Being starter at Griffins and then get some callups to NHL.

When Andrei Vasilevski was 20, he finished KHL. Signed 3-year ELC.

First 2 years, was split at AHL and NHL.

Became a starter on his 3rd ELC year, and before the 3rd year Yzerman already signed him to 3-year bridge worth 3.5M.

Was starter from his last ELC-year + those 3 at bridge. Total 4 years.

Vasilevski did win Stanley Cup on his last year of the bridge deal. Before the SC year, he was already signed to his 8-year extension with current 9.5M caphit. He is on the 2nd year of that deal currently.

I don't think Cossa is the next Vasilevski, and is at least a year or two behind Andrei's development curve, but that could be the ideal path.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
He desperately needs a goalie coach to help him consolidate his movements. He is so scrambly and often slides way out of position. Use your size, kid.
Yup, someone needs to nail it into his head that he is 6'8! and doesn't have to drop into the butterfly and RVH every play. It cost him a lot of goals this season.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
He desperately needs a goalie coach to help him consolidate his movements. He is so scrambly and often slides way out of position. Use your size, kid.

He definitely over shoots his net when he slides. I wanna guess and say he was taught to play this way when he was 13 years old and then boom. 6'7 lol

I've always wondered how much coaching a goalie gets in junior. I know a former CHL goalie coach and it makes me think not much lol.

Reactions: bedtime20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad