At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I like the aggressive move to go and get ‘your guy’.
Cossa is an intriguing prospect. His numbers were off the chart ! His size and athleticism are perfectly suited for the NHL.

I just really wish their guy wasn’t a goalie.

I’m nervous about the insane draft capital we just invested in the goaltender position in the last 24 hours… basically an entire years draft.

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th for Cossa and Ned

...or just 3 lottery tickets and a 1st for a better 1st to take a top goalie prospect and a 2021 Calder candidate.

Anything can be spun to look bad. We've had plenty of quantity in the draft recently. I'd trust Yzerman/scouts to find the right quality. This draft isn't scouted well enough to feel good about lottery tickets this year.

Reactions: rangersblues

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Summary:

1st pick - WSH - Vrana Trade
2nd pick - NYR - Staal Dump
5th pick - Merrill Trade

Moved to Dallas for #15.

Selected Sebastian Cossa... Aka SeaBass, Aka Lil Sebastian.

6'6 G, Quick Big, Solid goalie who went 17-1-1 this year with a 940 SV%.
He is very highly regarded. (I mean all prospects are when you read things)... But he was a clear cut 1st rounder.

Scouting Report: Sebastian Cossa - Smaht Scouting

2021 Draft Profile: G Sebastian Cossa

Sebastian Cossa | Sebastian Cossa Profile | Sebastian Cossa Scouting Report 2021

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Sea Bass (as his brother/family/friends call him)

Capture.PNG

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I can't really get upset, because it's been a messed up year of limited play and even more limited scouting. But I'm hoping that everything I read was wrong, because it all pointed to Wallstedt being a much better NHL goaltender than Cossa.

On paper, I'll take positioning over athleticism every day of the week. But there's no way of knowing how they each develop going forward, so I'll trust Yzerman and hope like hell that it works out with Cossa.

And the defenseman I wanted less than any other top prospect. And the fact that they still need major help at forward.

Fingers crossed.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I guess they don't like the fella they acquired from Carolina *that* much?

Not at all. I think they have great hope he'll be the starting goalie for the foreseeable future.

But they are stacking the deck. You can't put everything on one guy who is still a few years away. Nedeljkovic holds down the fort until Cossa is ready. And if both are great, that's a pretty nice problem to have. But one may not reach expectations, injuries happen, so you gotta have guys in the system.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Cossa apparently asked the Wings some good questions that impressed them. I wonder if he asked about their reputation of not dedicating enough resources to develop better goalies.

Yeah he mentioned they talked to him a lot leading to the draft. Good to know he impressed them and has a solid head on his shoulders.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Summary:

1st pick - WSH - Vrana Trade
2nd pick - NYR - Staal Dump
5th pick - Merrill Trade

Moved to Dallas for #15.

Selected Sebastian Cossa... Aka SeaBass, Aka Lil Sebastian.

6'6 G, Quick Big, Solid goalie who went 17-1-1 this year with a 940 SV%.
He is very highly regarded. (I mean all prospects are when you read things)... But he was a clear cut 1st rounder.

Scouting Report: Sebastian Cossa - Smaht Scouting

2021 Draft Profile: G Sebastian Cossa

Sebastian Cossa | Sebastian Cossa Profile | Sebastian Cossa Scouting Report 2021
So we lost Mantha (still got Vrana) Staal (can still keep him) and Merrill for Cossa

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah he mentioned they talked to him a lot leading to the draft. Good to know he impressed them and has a solid head on his shoulders.

For sure. If he (Cossa) looked at the Wings crappy track record of goalie development and still wanted to come here hopefully that's a sign of better investment from the Red Wings end.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Not going to lie, one of my big reasons for not wanting to draft Cossa over Wallstedt was that the Oil Kings don't develop players very well and all of skaters that have been drafted from them, with the "exception" of Lazar, have never really become NHL regulars. Now, the goalies who were drafted (Brossoit and Jarry) have become decent NHL goalies, but not really true starters (Yes, Jarry was the starter for Pittsburgh but he didn't look that great for most of the year and they didn't make the playoffs).

My hope is that Cossa bucks this trend and I'm always willing to bank on Yzerman being able to develop players better. I'm still happy we got one of the really good goaltenders in the draft with the trade-up, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad