Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is precisely why I don't care if Tavares walks for nothing. The team needs to be bad after his departure. Best case, if Tavares is leaving, is that he's dealt for top picks and established young talent (the kind Sakic is asking for right now). Otherwise, what does it matter what we get back? Middling players are worthless and will only detract from the best course of action, which is tanking. Unless they're flipping those players for more picks, it just doesn't make much sense.

Tanking is NOT the answer -
This is why I think the trade deadline needs to be the moment of truth.
I disagree with earlier sentiments that a deal must be in place by the start of the season. By February we will know what type team we have and hopefully more about the arena situation. If they are a team on the bubble and JT won't sign - you have to trade him.

I think you can get at least three solid pieces back for JT at the deadline.

The 2 #1s we have 2018 And those 3 solid pieces (that should be a top prospect, #1, top 6, and maybe more - with the caveat of him signing long term) that can a long way.

Most of us can't stand to see another rebuild - there is solid young core here.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If it's not about the money though, you can wait. Think of it like this:

Tavares says he doesn't want to stay in Brooklyn, but would love to stay if the team is getting an arena in Belmont. Ownership tells Tavares Belmont is going to happen so he should sign. Tavares would be a fool to trust ownership on something so complex with potential hiccups, and may insist on waiting until after the arena is awarded or further along than it currently is. If ownership is so confident the arena will happen, they shouldn't worry about Tavares signing since they know he'll sign once the arena is pushed forward a bit.

You cannot trade Tavares if that's the scenario and you can't blame him for waiting.

Yeah all makes sense, but...If the RFP isn't awarded until 2nd half of 2018 (or legal matters drag it out where nothing is CERTAIN until after July 2018, then what do you do then?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yeah all makes sense, but...If the RFP isn't awarded until 2nd half of 2018 (or legal matters drag it out where nothing is CERTAIN until after July 2018, then what do you do then?

This where that opt out clause in baseball would come in handy!

How about offering him a 1 year deal at 12-13m to buy more time

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Snow suffered under 8 years of Nassau revenue. There is not a GM that could have built a contender in that 1970s dump with limited revenue.
Revenue no. Charles Wang saying don't spend over the very bottom, yes. And yes it matters, because they lied through their teeth the whole time about it.

Finally have a good coach...

Based on what? Name one other team Weight won anything with as their head coach.

Weight was gifted a team that needed a change from a burnt out coach, and that from his first day in the position was badly behind on the playoff hunt. It is a poorly kept secret that teams that are out of the playoffs strangely play better down the stretch because they have nothing to lose whereas teams looking behind them tend to trip up against opponents they think are easy wins, like our club became last season early.

Now matter how good Weight might be at some point as coach, it is a very long stretch to suggest he is "a good coach." He has zero resume of coaching outside of this club. Many might try to ignore that fact, but it is a fact, and experience usually means everything. If he did go on to skyrocketing success it would be like winning the lottery, including the million to one odds. It could happen, but dumb luck. Snow's last two hires, Capuano and Gordon.... lol! I hope he had better luck with Weight. A mega ton whole lot more luck, because the other two sucked.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
How about offering him a 1 year deal at 12-13m to buy more time

Zero % chance he takes a one year deal just to potentially be in the same fix next year, while risking an injury. He's gonna get a 7/8 year deal... if not from the Isles, then from someone else.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I just can't fathom them having anymore certainty in a new arena by 7/2018. I can understand snow waiting just in case, and I'm thinking we'll end up losing him for nothing because we should be a playoff team.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is totally off-topic but I'm compelled to defend my glorious namesake. You have Belmont in your avatar, but are unaware that Lord at War is a noted champion on and off the track. What exactly do you know about Belmont Park?

Lord at War was a champ on the inferior California circuit. Holy Bull was a winner against much tougher competition on the east coast and Kentucky in the 1990s.

What do I know about Belmont? Well I'm there several times a meet and I know that Belmont is the easiest path to arena ownership for the Islanders.

Judging from some of your prior comments I'd say you haven't been to Belmont in a long, long time. If ever.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
I don't want to turn this into a "JT trade options" but I can see Nashville kicking the tires on him.

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
I love how people give zero credit for the second half. Last in the NHL first half, 2nd in the NHL the second half.

Leaving out the fact that almost every team was in the playoff race for the majority of the season. The negativity is unbelievable sometimes. We missed by one point, so it meant nothing. But don't act like it was some cake walk where we played all of these nonexistent teams that weren't in the playoff race.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Lets hope Snow doesnt use that line to Tavares in July when he has offers from chicago pens rangers kings toronto nashville ottawa montreal sharks anaheim..."we only missed the playoffs by one point last year".

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lets hope Snow doesnt use that line to Tavares in July when he has offers from chicago pens rangers kings toronto nashville ottawa montreal sharks anaheim..."we only missed the playoffs by one point last year".

You should change your name to "Cherry Picker". At least that's easier for you to spell.

The previous poster also mentioned how they were one of the best teams in the second half of the season. That is no small feat. We got better with Eberle over Strome. Am I confident that we'll repeat the second half of last season all season this year? No, certainly not. Do I think this team is better than last years team? Yes, absolutely.

The Tavares' thing is disconcerting, but let's not act like there is no reason to be optimistic about this upcoming season. I think it will be a good hockey team and fun to watch. It's next season that's scary.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That is th most sensible scenario yet. Staple does not suggest that but Staple just answered tweet questions short and direct. Little to no context.

Staples tweets came right after another interview with Tavares had people feeling a little better, so who the heck knows. I don't.

Tanking is NOT the answer -
This is why I think the trade deadline needs to be the moment of truth.
I disagree with earlier sentiments that a deal must be in place by the start of the season. By February we will know what type team we have and hopefully more about the arena situation. If they are a team on the bubble and JT won't sign - you have to trade him.

I think you can get at least three solid pieces back for JT at the deadline.

The 2 #1s we have 2018 And those 3 solid pieces (that should be a top prospect, #1, top 6, and maybe more - with the caveat of him signing long term) that can a long way.

Most of us can't stand to see another rebuild - there is solid young core here.

I think you're overvaluing what the Isles will get for 30 games of Tavares. The return will be very poor and we'll all be disappointed.

There's a solid base with the young core, but they are still lacking elite talent. Teams don't win in the NHL without elite talent. How do you propose they get elite talent if they don't tank? They are seldom traded.

I've said that I wouldn't trade Tavares until he says he won't sign. If that means letting him walk for nothing because things were pushed back, so be it. I don't think trading Tavares is going to do much good anyway, so it's worth the risk to me. The only reasons I'd trade Tavares are if he says he won't sign or if it's to swap him with another star player. That's it for me.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I love how people give zero credit for the second half. Last in the NHL first half, 2nd in the NHL the second half.

Leaving out the fact that almost every team was in the playoff race for the majority of the season. The negativity is unbelievable sometimes. We missed by one point, so it meant nothing. But don't act like it was some cake walk where we played all of these nonexistent teams that weren't in the playoff race.

And this is exactly the problem...

For years this team has made a habit out of being at its best when the games basically mean nothing so the pressure is off. The culture around the entire franchise needs to change so that the team has the mentality to win when the spotlight is at its greatest.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Staples tweets came right after another interview with Tavares had people feeling a little better, so who the heck knows. I don't.

I didn't feel better after JT's interview. JT confirmed the building had something to do with his decision and the building is the least fixable part of the whole scenario, and also has the longest time frame to get sorted out. JT's interview was the nail in the coffin for me that he's a goner.

I think you're overvaluing what the Isles will get for 30 games of Tavares. The return will be very poor and we'll all be disappointed.

There's a solid base with the young core, but they are still lacking elite talent. Teams don't win in the NHL without elite talent. How do you propose they get elite talent if they don't tank? They are seldom traded.

I think you are undervaluing. Players like Tavares don't get to free agency very often and if Tavares is willing to at least do us a solid of allowing a trade to a team he's willing to negotiate with and/or doesn't rule out extending with then the return will be even more valuable. Out of all the teams in the league i'm pretty sure we'll get a return that will at least put us back even or some picks to work with to get us back even.

I've said that I wouldn't trade Tavares until he says he won't sign. If that means letting him walk for nothing because things were pushed back, so be it. I don't think trading Tavares is going to do much good anyway, so it's worth the risk to me. The only reasons I'd trade Tavares are if he says he won't sign or if it's to swap him with another star player. That's it for me.

I agree most likely we are going to lose Tavares for nothing since we'll be in the playoffs come trade deadline.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I didn't feel better after JT's interview. JT confirmed the building had something to do with his decision and the building is the least fixable part of the whole scenario, and also has the longest time frame to get sorted out. JT's interview was the nail in the coffin for me that he's a goner.

I view the RFP and Belmont as much more of a reality than you do then, so that's why I was optimistic.

I think you are undervaluing. Players like Tavares don't get to free agency very often and if Tavares is willing to at least do us a solid of allowing a trade to a team he's willing to negotiate with and/or doesn't rule out extending with then the return will be even more valuable. Out of all the teams in the league i'm pretty sure we'll get a return that will at least put us back even or some picks to work with to get us back even.

I might be, because these guys aren't traded that often. I'm just not sure why a team would unload a top prospect, a 1st round pick, and a top 6 player to the Isles for 30 games of Tavares. Which team is doing that? Some are suggesting we'd get more than that.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I might be, because these guys aren't traded that often. I'm just not sure why a team would unload a top prospect, a 1st round pick, and a top 6 player to the Isles for 30 games of Tavares. Which team is doing that? Some are suggesting we'd get more than that.

The return would most likely be a B+/A- prospect, a low 1st rounder and 2nd/3rd line forward.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
JT's interview was the nail in the coffin for me that he's a goner

Congratulations! You win the "read between the lines" game!

Hilarious that some people listen to that interview and are convinced he is re-signing. Others have the exact opposite take-away.

Everyone needs to relax. I personally view JT's comments as encouraging. Staple's obviously not so much.

We all know the reasons why he could leave, let's hope there are enough reasons for him to stay...

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Staple said 65%. That tells me in his opinion, he thinks he will stay with some hesitation. The 65 is pretty ambiguous.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Congratulations! You win the "read between the lines" game!

Hilarious that some people listen to that interview and are convinced he is re-signing. Others have the exact opposite take-away.

Everyone needs to relax. I personally view JT's comments as encouraging. Staple's obviously not so much.

We all know the reasons why he could leave, let's hope there are enough reasons for him to stay...

Completely agree.

Has anyone possibly thought that this is calculated by JT, the Islanders etc?

Now that the rumor that he hates the arena, commute, etc are out there, it causes outrage and panic. Oh god, our star player will leave because of the arena!

Now the Belmont RFP is under way. This panic now enforces massive public support for the arena. "Oh no, we can't lose our franchise player, we need to get behind this and be vocal. We need this arena!"

I laughed when I saw Staple's tweets. They were more negative than usual. More down on JT than prior, even after his previous article was an interview with Tavares, and it was positive. Or the fact that Tavares in his words on Toronto radio said don't count on him leaving for the Leafs. Everyone is acting like this loyal guy, who speaks the truth, a consummate professional, is all off a sudden a snake in the grass? Nobody twisted his arm to take less money on the last contract. He did. I would think his only apprehension is whether he takes a little less this time, does Garth/Owners use that money on FAs.

My guess is Staple put out the interview, and someone from the Isles may have spoken to him, painted a darker picture....which is probably false. It is to strum up the panic for the arena....as we are seeing on these boards.

Again, Stamkos played out his last year and signed the night before FA. Please stop with the Tax implications. That was not the reason. These guys grew up in that Toronto spotlight. Both in good families. They are loyal. The Tax thing is ridiculous, because then why didn't Crosby run too? Or Toews and Kane? This isn't basketball. These guys want to win where they sarted

Everyone relax.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

If a GM is any good, he'd manage to make that happen. Considering what and who JT is, the competition between teams should be enough to get a currently good forward, a forward prospect with upside, and a 1st rounder. A good GM would find a way.

Still, plenty of reason to think that Snow, JT, etc. know exactly what they are doing and there's good reason behind the current approach.

As long as that's the case, the amount of worry can be held to a minimum.

Plenty of fans surely don't feel that Snow 'n co. are capable of using this situation to mastermind their way into a new arena deal, etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, one way or another, Snow has his work cut out for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad