Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe. It would be something along those lines... Also depends on how many potential buyers there are to drive the price up.

Not the same position, but Shattenkirk netted St. Louis a prospect (Sanford), a contract dump (Malone), a 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick.

Shattenkirk was in a similar position to Tavares - pending UFA, likely not re-signing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not the same position, but Shattenkirk netted St. Louis a prospect (Sanford), a contract dump (Malone), a 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick.

Shattenkirk was in a similar position to Tavares - pending UFA, likely not re-signing.

How good was that prospect, do you know?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Why is Tavares "likely not re-signing?"

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I was going under the assumption of the scenario he's dealt at the trade deadline and the hypothetical of what he'd get in return. Clearly, the only way that scenario plays out is if it's clear he's not re-signing, no?

The NHL is a business. Even if Tavares is not staying, why would his boss nor he state he is not staying? It makes no sense.

Again, JT is going nowhere. The guy has said he doesn't believe he is going anywhere. The amount of psychologists and linguistic experts on these boards is ridiculous.

Its the real world. He wants stability, quality of life and to be paid. Everyone freakin relax

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I was going under the assumption of the scenario he's dealt at the trade deadline and the hypothetical of what he'd get in return. Clearly, the only way that scenario plays out is if it's clear he's not re-signing, no?

Oh I see. I forgot the hypothetical scenario we were discussing. There's been a lot lately. :)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The NHL is a business. Even if Tavares is not staying, why would his boss nor he state he is not staying? It makes no sense.

Again, JT is going nowhere. The guy has said he doesn't believe he is going anywhere. The amount of psychologists and linguistic experts on these boards is ridiculous.

Its the real world. He wants stability, quality of life and to be paid. Everyone freakin relax

He's not saying that he isn't likely to re-sign, he's saying in the scenario in which he's dealt at the deadline that would be the case for anyone looking to acquire him.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Why is the water in Brooklyn disgusting? NYC tap water is great.

Coming from LI, I find it awful. Thick, with a distinct taste where water should have none. Growing up I hated drinking the water at grandma's house in Queens. First time at Barclay's, even the fountain soda had that taste. Shocked it wasn't filtered. Bottled soda for me now. Anyway, never understood the praise for NYC water, and it's a fair question whether mineral or other content affects ice.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is also true and I'm looking at the teams who will likely be going for it and I think a bunch won't spend that much.

The Penguins likely wouldn't, plus I don't know what they'd be able to offer.
The Blackhawks won't.
The Rangers won't be traded with.
The Maple leafs likely wouldn't. Why would they when they have a young team, their window is opening, and they could sign Tavares during the off-season.
The Lightning likely wouldn't. Why would they pay the price it'd cost when they have a lot of great pieces already in place? Are they going to risk closing their window earlier by trading off big pieces for a rental?
Edmonton likely wouldn't.

Maybe teams like Minnesota, San Jose, St. Louis (since they couldn't afford Tavares for more than a rental), Boston, or Montreal would pay that steep of a price. But it would require many of them to be in playoff contention and other rentals to not be available.

Trades are definitely not the thing I know best, so I could be way off here, I'm just very skeptical and wary.

Blackhawks would certainly - maybe not to resign him, but to make a run at the cup. Don't know what they have to offer.

Maple leafs would actually make a deal. In order to sign JT one of those young kids would have to go the other way- probably Nylander.
Not having to pay Nylander opens $ to sign Tavares.

The Wild would certainly - their window is closing and need a top C - Eriksen Ek would have to be part of the deal.

The blue jackets would have to pay premium - dealing with someone in the Metro - Dubois would also be a must in the package.

If this is too far out, then fine No deal and 91 stays put and we roll the dice come July 1st.

There is no incentive to deal him for a B\B+ prospect and late 1st and other pieces.

If someone wants to add Tavares at the deadline for a playoff push then they are going to have to pay up.

There is no precedent for a deal like this for a player like this.

If I was the GM of wild Blues predators maple leafs senators Canadiens Bruins Tampa and San Jose I'd be all over it.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Coming from LI, I find it awful. Thick, with a distinct taste where water should have none. Growing up I hated drinking the water at grandma's house in Queens. First time at Barclay's, even the fountain soda had that taste. Shocked it wasn't filtered. Bottled soda for me now. Anyway, never understood the praise for NYC water, and it's a fair question whether mineral or other content affects ice.

Like Art Staple's musical preferences, there's no accounting for taste. You may not like the flavor, but it doesn't make the water "disgusting". Saying that implies that it's "dirty" or non-potable, and that's definitely not the case.

Growing up on LI, I used to love the taste of LI water. After moving to the city, I now think it tastes like dirt.

I also don't ever recall the Coliseum being praised for good ice; and that's even before they went down to one condenser. I know MSG doesn't exactly get high praise either, but I'm not convinced it's due to mineral content in the water. It may have more to do with it being a mixed-use arena.

If the ice issues are due to anything at Barclays, it's due to the PVC piping instead of metal.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I view the RFP and Belmont as much more of a reality than you do then, so that's why I was optimistic.

Eh, I'm a bit optimistic about them as well, I just don't think we'll have a concrete answer before 7/2018.

I might be, because these guys aren't traded that often. I'm just not sure why a team would unload a top prospect, a 1st round pick, and a top 6 player to the Isles for 30 games of Tavares. Which team is doing that? Some are suggesting we'd get more than that.

Yeah, I don't think we will get a top 6 player for him at all. I think we would get either a couple big prospects almost ready to play or 1 and a 1st round pick. I guess, now that I think more about it, it probably won't get us back to comparable shape, but I don't think it will be brutal enough to have to start a rebuild.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Congratulations! You win the "read between the lines" game!

Hilarious that some people listen to that interview and are convinced he is re-signing. Others have the exact opposite take-away.

Everyone needs to relax. I personally view JT's comments as encouraging. Staple's obviously not so much.

We all know the reasons why he could leave, let's hope there are enough reasons for him to stay...

Sorry, I thought this was HF Boards and we were allowed to share our opinion. I must have stumbled into a North Korean forum by accident.

Scientists have been reading between the lines since the beginning of time, some being right, some being wrong.

Congratulations, you've discovered the definition of perception. You can put a star on it in your word journal now!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, I don't think we will get a top 6 player for him at all. I think we would get either a couple big prospects almost ready to play or 1 and a 1st round pick. I guess, now that I think more about it, it probably won't get us back to comparable shape, but I don't think it will be brutal enough to have to start a rebuild.

I just don't know how this organization gets the elite players they're missing if Tavares goes. Ho-Sang, Barzal, Pulock, and Beauvillier would all have to pan out...and we'd need one of the goaltenders to also work out. Seems like a lot to break right for a franchise that can rarely ever catch a break.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I just don't know how this organization gets the elite players they're missing if Tavares goes. Ho-Sang, Barzal, Pulock, and Beauvillier would all have to pan out...and we'd need one of the goaltenders to also work out. Seems like a lot to break right for a franchise that can rarely ever catch a break.

We do have a lot of ammunition though after the Hamonic trade. It would absolutely depend on Garth Snow being able to wheel and deal, but if a player did suddenly become available we'd have a lot of firepower to land them via trade, especially after obtaining another first from Tavares.

You are right though, it would take some things falling into place. I just think there is enough there to not have to consider blowing up and rebuilding in a world without JT.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I guess it depends what part of the city you get your water from. The stuff with upstate viaduct water is sludge which is primarily Manhattan. when you get out into Nassau or Suffolk all the water is pulled from wells. It has been rated within the top ten in the nation regularly for taste. Some parts of upstate NY and the city have water pulled from reservoirs, or from lime aquifers. Gross ****.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Snow should have been a lot more aggressive. JT needs to sign before training camp or trade offers will be welcome. He should have said it at the end of last season. The possibilities and return would have been much higher by September 1 than February 1.

This is what happens when you put one player above the whole franchise. Bill Torrey knew this back when Lafontaine was the problem.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
NY Times article Oct 26, 1991

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/26/s...rt-over-by-trading-lafontaine-and-sutter.html

"Sometimes you replace the player, but you don't replace the person," Torrey said of Sutter, whose leadership ability was coveted by Chicago. "And difficulties though we've had with Pat, I will never, never underestimate what he gave our franchise. He's a great player."

Torrey said that a search for quality, not statistics, was the key to his decision to give up LaFontaine, a nimble skater and gifted goalscorer, for the 22-year-old Turgeon, a big-boned playmaker who was drafted first over all in 1987 and scored 106 points in his third season with the Sabres.

"You can't compare Pierre Turgeon to Pat LaFontaine," Torrey said. "Pierre is more of a playmaker and Pat is more of a pure goalscorer. But I had to get quality. We owed it to the rest of our players to get moving, get the furor over with. As much as I'm painted as a conservative, bow-tied old fogey, times have changed, circumstances have changed, and we've had to deal with it."

He insisted the trades were primarily made to improve the team's performance on the ice, not to enhance its salability. 'We Had No Choice'

"We had no choice but to do this," said Al Arbour, the Islanders' coach. "This is a business, a big business, and it was obvious we had to do something to improve ourselves."

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think snow keeps JT to the 11th hour so long as ledecky/malkin are ok with it .

they may force his hand though

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We do have a lot of ammunition though after the Hamonic trade. It would absolutely depend on Garth Snow being able to wheel and deal, but if a player did suddenly become available we'd have a lot of firepower to land them via trade, especially after obtaining another first from Tavares.

You are right though, it would take some things falling into place. I just think there is enough there to not have to consider blowing up and rebuilding in a world without JT.

I don't think they should sell anything and everything, especially the young guys the team already has. I'm just not in favor of trading Tavares and getting back a guy like RNH. Those types of guys will just keep the Isles from being the 6th worth team in teh league and ruin any shot of the team getting top 3 picks in the draft. I'd rather more futures than just a good top 6 player.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Sorry, I thought this was HF Boards and we were allowed to share our opinion. I must have stumbled into a North Korean forum by accident.

Scientists have been reading between the lines since the beginning of time, some being right, some being wrong.

Congratulations, you've discovered the definition of perception. You can put a star on it in your word journal now!

My apologies. I didn't realize I was dealing with a scientist here! A rocket scientist I bet!

We all marvel at your perceptiveness...

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
NY Times article Oct 26, 1991

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/26/s...rt-over-by-trading-lafontaine-and-sutter.html

"Sometimes you replace the player, but you don't replace the person," Torrey said of Sutter, whose leadership ability was coveted by Chicago. "And difficulties though we've had with Pat, I will never, never underestimate what he gave our franchise. He's a great player."

Torrey said that a search for quality, not statistics, was the key to his decision to give up LaFontaine, a nimble skater and gifted goalscorer, for the 22-year-old Turgeon, a big-boned playmaker who was drafted first over all in 1987 and scored 106 points in his third season with the Sabres.

"You can't compare Pierre Turgeon to Pat LaFontaine," Torrey said. "Pierre is more of a playmaker and Pat is more of a pure goalscorer. But I had to get quality. We owed it to the rest of our players to get moving, get the furor over with. As much as I'm painted as a conservative, bow-tied old fogey, times have changed, circumstances have changed, and we've had to deal with it."

He insisted the trades were primarily made to improve the team's performance on the ice, not to enhance its salability. 'We Had No Choice'

"We had no choice but to do this," said Al Arbour, the Islanders' coach. "This is a business, a big business, and it was obvious we had to do something to improve ourselves."

Lafontaine held out of camp or the start of the season if I remember right. I didnt read the article. THe trade actually made them better then they were with Lafontaine. Before the trade, they were missing the playoffs, and if they made it were one and done. Basically like the current team if you took away Leddy and Lee. Once they made the trade you could see the team improving, and the next season making the playoffs over the rangers then winning two rounds one agains the 2 time defending pens was more exciting then the next 24 islander years combined.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

When I was a little kid(1970's), my family owned an autobody shop on Prince street in Flushing. They had an old water fountain in the place with ice-cold tap water. To this day the best tasting water I've ever had.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I missed the beginning of this tap water discussion. Is the quality of NY tap water one of the factors weighing in to JT's decision?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad