Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If 91 jets, the isles should still try to contend.

Duchene or RNH with Current squad along with the young core should still make this team very competitive.

If 91 must be traded by the deadline, my hope would be the Isles receive a top 6 as well as futures.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
If JT plans to go, he needs to be up front at least to the team. We cannot let him walk for nothing. My thinking is, he just wants out of the Current Location (barclays) and Ownership/Management. If this is true, He Needs to Get Traded otherwise it's Pitch-Forks and Torches for Garth....:madfire:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If 91 jets, the isles should still try to contend.

Duchene or RNH with Current squad along with the young core should still make this team very competitive.

If 91 must be traded by the deadline, my hope would be the Isles receive a top 6 as well as futures.

He is our only elite player. Let that sink in. Now apply what you said.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He is our only elite player. Let that sink in. Now apply what you said.

I agree.

I'm confused with those saying to pursue Duchene/Nugent-Hopkins if JT leaves. Even with Tavares, they are lacking another elite player.

If Tavares leaves, you need to liquidate, but my biggest problem is that if Tavares leaves after the season, NYI misses out on deadline returns for....

Bailey
Chimera
de Haan
Halak
Hickey
Seidenberg

and potentially...

Eberle
Lee
Nelson

not to mention...

Tavares

You could potentially go into the next two drafts with 10+ picks each, which would combine with the pieces already in place (Leddy/Boychuk/Pulock as your top three, Greiss as your starter) to fast track a rebuild the correct way. Obviously guys like Boychuk and Greiss will not be around for the next wave of success (and maybe not even Leddy), but having veterans in those positions is huge to helping nurture guys like Barzal whom defense doesn't naturally come easy for.

If you're going to rebuild, you need to have lots of picks and a respectable backend to help develop your young forwards.

If NYI loses Tavares to UFA, not only do they lose the face of the franchise, their star player, and elite centerman, but they also lose the returns of many quality players that are on expiring contracts in the next 24 months as well. I really think going into the season with an unsigned Tavares will lead to a lost season for multiple reasons.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
If THe Isles were going to keep snow around, not hire a front office and continue to only hire rookie coaches who work for free..odds are Tavares leaves even if they stayed at the coliseum. and its due to the consistently unimpresive teams that Snow builds. They never look like a team that could win a few rounds. They never look better then the rangers or penguins or capitals and tampa might have a bad year every 4 years, then they go win some rounds. Players can leave, and be 100% just as happy on a new team. They dont care about the team itself..look at Derek Jeter...I bet hes been to 3 yankee games since he retired and probably never sees them on tv either. The Isles as a organization never talk about trying to win a cup..or make any pretense on that being important..but to hockey players its kind of important. don't full yourself. Leddy and Boychuck probably spend a lot of time wondering how their careers could of gone if they played before the cap era.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
If THe Isles were going to keep snow around, not hire a front office and continue to only hire rookie coaches who work for free..odds are Tavares leaves even if they stayed at the coliseum. and its due to the consistently unimpresive teams that Snow builds. They never look like a team that could win a few rounds. They never look better then the rangers or penguins or capitals and tampa might have a bad year every 4 years, then they go win some rounds. Players can leave, and be 100% just as happy on a new team. They dont care about the team itself..look at Derek Jeter...I bet hes been to 3 yankee games since he retired and probably never sees them on tv either. The Isles as a organization never talk about trying to win a cup..or make any pretense on that being important..but to hockey players its kind of important. don't full yourself. Leddy and Boychuck probably spend a lot of time wondering how their careers could of gone if they played before the cap era.

Snow suffered under 8 years of Nassau revenue. There is not a GM that could have built a contender in that 1970s dump with limited revenue.

Now that the Isles have moved to a big league arena, in a major league area - you can demand improvement. 16-17 was disappointing, but 15-16 Was the first year in Barclays and the best result in 23 years. Capuano gets the blame for that bump in the road.

I think they are truly poised for great things this season. Finally have a good coach and they play in a major league arena. Snow had built a monster. Things are looking up.

Staple does not seem to know much. Would not bother talking anything he says seriously.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Snow built a monster? The starting goalie spent half the year in ahl last year cause he was that bad and nobody else would take the contract which isnt even high. How did he build a monster? The isles wouldnt beat anyone expected to make the playoffs...for 1-they never suprise anyone and beat teams they were underdogs in..2--they would be underdogs against any other teams that make the playoffs--3--they make the playoffs only 60% of the time anyway if we try and be kind. The penguins and chicago built a monster. The isles built a one round and out team.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If JT plans to go, he needs to be up front at least to the team. We cannot let him walk for nothing. My thinking is, he just wants out of the Current Location (barclays) and Ownership/Management. If this is true, He Needs to Get Traded otherwise it's Pitch-Forks and Torches for Garth....:madfire:

Is this the resurgence of Jack Johnson? I see some unnecessary caps in there, but you didn't say, "My New York Islanders Need To Trade Him". Brothers?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I agree.

I'm confused with those saying to pursue Duchene/Nugent-Hopkins if JT leaves. Even with Tavares, they are lacking another elite player.

If Tavares leaves, you need to liquidate, but my biggest problem is that if Tavares leaves after the season, NYI misses out on deadline returns for....

Bailey
Chimera
de Haan
Halak
Hickey
Seidenberg

and potentially...

Eberle
Lee
Nelson

not to mention...

Tavares

You could potentially go into the next two drafts with 10+ picks each, which would combine with the pieces already in place (Leddy/Boychuk/Pulock as your top three, Greiss as your starter) to fast track a rebuild the correct way. Obviously guys like Boychuk and Greiss will not be around for the next wave of success (and maybe not even Leddy), but having veterans in those positions is huge to helping nurture guys like Barzal whom defense doesn't naturally come easy for.

If you're going to rebuild, you need to have lots of picks and a respectable backend to help develop your young forwards.

If NYI loses Tavares to UFA, not only do they lose the face of the franchise, their star player, and elite centerman, but they also lose the returns of many quality players that are on expiring contracts in the next 24 months as well. I really think going into the season with an unsigned Tavares will lead to a lost season for multiple reasons.

The Isles and Snow must go for it this year -
missed opportunities at deadline with the likes of chimera, Seidenberg, and Hickey - I can live with that
I can even live with the idea of Bailey walking away

The only player that matters is 91.

In the hypothetical, that 91 walks away and Isles lose out July 1

The Isles and Snow must make an attempt to build a competitive team for 2018-2019. Hopkins would make the most sense, since Oilers will not be able to fit him under the cap as well as Chiarelli's relationship with Snow.

If the team fails to be competitive then you can liquidate at the deadline in 2019 that means Eberle, Lee, Nelson.

With the Hamonic trade the Isles are not short on draft picks

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is what he said:

"do you think john tavares re-signs before the END of the season"

Staple: "no, i don't"

Ironically, for any sane GM and franchise, exactly THAT should be THE prerequisite to being traded by the trade deadline.

If I were a GM, I'd have set the "sign it or be traded" date to September 15th.

Love him as the face of the franchise or not, the minute you offer him a blank check and he doesn't sign, you know he's ready to hold you at gun point.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ironically, for any sane GM and franchise, exactly THAT should be THE prerequisite to being traded by the trade deadline.

Love him as the face of the franchise or not, the minute you offer him a blank check and he doesn't sign, you know he's ready to hold you at gun point.

If it's not about the money though, you can wait. Think of it like this:

Tavares says he doesn't want to stay in Brooklyn, but would love to stay if the team is getting an arena in Belmont. Ownership tells Tavares Belmont is going to happen so he should sign. Tavares would be a fool to trust ownership on something so complex with potential hiccups, and may insist on waiting until after the arena is awarded or further along than it currently is. If ownership is so confident the arena will happen, they shouldn't worry about Tavares signing since they know he'll sign once the arena is pushed forward a bit.

You cannot trade Tavares if that's the scenario and you can't blame him for waiting.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

It's more complicated than that. With a potential new arena and/or a potential renegotiated lease (with hopefully structural improvements) there are a lot of variables here. And again, this isn't Garth Snow merely trying to sign JT. Ledecky and Malkin are intimately involved. For all we know, there's a verbal agreement already in place and is contingent on items that will hopefully be resolved in the coming months.

What possible benefit would come out of backing JT into a corner and giving him a deadline of Sep 15? He can sign anytime and he can be traded anytime. No need for artificial deadlines.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What disturbed me - was he gave it a very little chance of a trade if he won't sign by the deadline.

Garth is going to take this to the end - July 1st. And the Isles will risk having 91 walk away for nothing.

VERY disturbing.

Already discussed this last fall: Snow CANNOT treat this situation like Yzerman handled the Stamkos situation. The arguments for Yzerman to retain Stamkos were lightyears better than whatever Snow can conjure up for Tavares.

And heck, both parties already know how things look one way or the other.

Depending on the standings -
By the deadline - if JT deal is not done, Isles win RFP, and Isles are fighting for an 8th spot - I trade him to the highest bidder.

A GM can neither plan for JUST this season, nor JUST for the future.

A GM must be planning for both, at all times.

The possibility of trade must not only be an option, but in fact an open possibility that JT and his agent know about the entire time, with a request to have a signature by a certain date.

In a way, I'm kind of smelling a Lafontaine-trade style move coming up. But who's the ideal partner for such a thing?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
VERY disturbing.

Already discussed this last fall: Snow CANNOT treat this situation like Yzerman handled the Stamkos situation. The arguments for Yzerman to retain Stamkos were lightyears better than whatever Snow can conjure up for Tavares.

And heck, both parties already know how things look one way or the other.

A GM can neither plan for JUST this season, nor JUST for the future.

A GM must be planning for both, at all times.

The possibility of trade must not only be an option, but in fact an open possibility that JT and his agent know about the entire time, with a request to have a signature by a certain date.

In a way, I'm kind of smelling a Lafontaine-trade style move coming up. But who's the ideal partner for such a thing?

Was Yzerman incompetent when he held Stamkos and signed him 2 hours before FA period?

Everyone needs to relax

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Alright -- I got where he lives.

He has a place in NYC as well as Westbury.. (not a shock that he has a crash pad in Brooklyn -- I've heard that commute is rough)

Looks like he has a place at Avalon Westbury, right near the Source Mall.

Who's up for a road trip?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Alright -- I got where he lives.

He has a place in NYC as well as Westbury.. (not a shock that he has a crash pad in Brooklyn -- I've heard that commute is rough)

Looks like he has a place at Avalon Westbury, right near the Source Mall.

Who's up for a road trip?

He does not live in Westbury. He has rented a home in Garden City for the past 4 years

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Hmmmm -- I got all that from da intrewebz -- is it possible, JUST POSSIBLE... that all i read isnt accurate?

He rents a home about 2 blocks away from the Garden City hotel, near the Stewart Ave LIRR station.

Boychuk lives around there. Czikas is in Roslyn. Clutterbuck just bought a house in Manhasset (development off of Shelter Rock Road....same complex as Jose Reyes and Mike Francesa)

Not stalking, I have gotten the chance to play golf with Tavares, Czikas, Clutterbuck etc a few times

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If it's not about the money though, you can wait. Think of it like this:

Tavares says he doesn't want to stay in Brooklyn, but would love to stay if the team is getting an arena in Belmont. Ownership tells Tavares Belmont is going to happen so he should sign. Tavares would be a fool to trust ownership on something so complex with potential hiccups, and may insist on waiting until after the arena is awarded or further along than it currently is. If ownership is so confident the arena will happen, they shouldn't worry about Tavares signing since they know he'll sign once the arena is pushed forward a bit.

You cannot trade Tavares if that's the scenario and you can't blame him for waiting.

Yes, I agree. Those are good points and naturally, this could be how it is. If it's being seen from that vantage point (i.e. JT = fully dependent on Belmont/new arena).

In which case, both sides already know this and the signature is pending on it -
purely.

Then again, if this is the case, and Belmot (or any other place that might serve as the dealbreaker) is what is all-decisive, then Brisson is the kind of agent who has made it clear to NYI management that JT is hitting free agency as soon as word is out that Belmont is no longer an option.

In which case, Snow simply cannot take an approach based on "Welp, then we give it all we can this season and just accept the fact that the face of the franchise is walking away. Maybe I can coax out a draft pick or two from some team by trading his rights to them before July 1st".

And yes, I somehow think this is the most likely approach Snow would take.

We've seen Snow let important guys walk in the past as well, sometimes without us even being a playoff team.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Simply could not agree with this more. Be nice and professional towards Tavares' camp, but also make it clear to them that as GM we always need to do what's best for the Islanders franchise - And no one is above the franchise.

Here's what not enough are talking about...

In the past few years Leddy, Boychuk, Ladd, Clutterbuck, and Cizikas committed to the Islanders franchise despite having to train to games, the poor ice, the mystery of where they might play in a few years, amongst other things.

If they're willing to stay with the Isles under all the same circumstances Tavares would have to play under, what does it say that JT isn't ready to commit yet?

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Is this the resurgence of Jack Johnson? I see some unnecessary caps in there, but you didn't say, "My New York Islanders Need To Trade Him". Brothers?

I said, We cannot lose him for nothing. That is my fear with Garth at the Helm. It's bad enough that it appears he is gone short of a miracle. But if Garth does not get something in return close to the value in a Trade, and JT Walks next July, It Would Be Far Worse!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->