Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
He rents a home about 2 blocks away from the Garden City hotel, near the Stewart Ave LIRR station.

Boychuk lives around there. Czikas is in Roslyn. Clutterbuck just bought a house in Manhasset (development off of Shelter Rock Road....same complex as Jose Reyes and Mike Francesa)

Not stalking, I have gotten the chance to play golf with Tavares, Czikas, Clutterbuck etc a few times

Imagine what you could find out if you did stalk?

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Simply could not agree with this more. Be nice and professional towards Tavares' camp, but also make it clear to them that as GM we always need to do what's best for the Islanders franchise - And no one is above the franchise.

Here's what not enough are talking about...

In the past few years Leddy, Boychuk, Ladd, Clutterbuck, and Cizikas committed to the Islanders franchise despite having to train to games, the poor ice, the mystery of where they might play in a few years, amongst other things.

If they're willing to stay with the Isles under all the same circumstances Tavares would have to play under, what does it say that JT isn't ready to commit yet?
Whats the saying "A man is only as loyal as his options". Boychuck already won a cup, Isles paid him ALOT-long term--probably a wife involved. To much difficulty to try and get to the Hawks or penguins and get similar deal. Ditto for Leddy. Clutterbuck and Cizikas are barely better then guys in the AHL..they are lucky to be making 3 4 million a year, they both have wives that love that north shore living. They would be risking half their pay to try and get on the penguins or hawks. Ladd already won a cup as well, probably a wife, at this point after that first cup, you can live without another cup. Ladd would have to take a 50% pay cut to be on a cup type of team.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Was Yzerman incompetent when he held Stamkos and signed him 2 hours before FA period?

Everyone needs to relax

Actually, I addressed just that a bit in the previous post.

Snow doesn't have nearly the arguments that Yzerman had. Tampa was one season removed from a cup appearance, Stamkos has no less than Hedman & Kucherov to help carry the roll of responsibility, the surrounding cast and goaltending is still contender-worthy and in a healthy financial situation, and Stamkos is still in a prime situation to be not only the team's face, but to also rack up on 80+ point seasons for years to come. He's not far off from completing what he started with the team.

Those are just some of the far more rosy sporting reasons to stay - and Snow can't offer them to JT.

Then there's of course the fact that Yzerman is one of the most respected men in hockey who is also clearly linked with winning and a culture of winning. People tend to stick with him.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the financial tax situation for athletes in Florida is far better than that of many NHL markets. Signing for only 8.5 million over 8 years allows him to keep a considerably higher percentage of his paycheck than several of his NHL peers who signed for considerably more elsewhere.

What this all means is that there's no in-depth ration allowing one to imply that if Yzerman did it with Stamkos, then Snow can surely do it with Tavares too.

It's not the same precendence.

Plain and simple - it would be sheer foolishness on Snow's behalf, and likely job suicide if he were working with just about any other team, to end the trade deadline with anything other than JT's signature on a long-term contract or a considerable package in sending JT elsewhere. This team is not winning the cup this season and won't be anywhere close to that if JT leaves with a considerable return coming back.

Snow has his work cut out for him. The Yzerman-Stamkos route isn't a likely option.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's more complicated than that. With a potential new arena and/or a potential renegotiated lease (with hopefully structural improvements) there are a lot of variables here. And again, this isn't Garth Snow merely trying to sign JT. Ledecky and Malkin are intimately involved. For all we know, there's a verbal agreement already in place and is contingent on items that will hopefully be resolved in the coming months.

You're likely right about just that. There's most likely a mutual agreement in place.

But it indicates that - internally - a JT signing is only coming if X happens.

What possible benefit would come out of backing JT into a corner and giving him a deadline of Sep 15? He can sign anytime and he can be traded anytime. No need for artificial deadlines.

Well, in the case that JT's party is just biding its time and hasn't let the NYI know what a resigning hinges upon (which we agree likely isn't the case), it would have Snow doing what's necessary to prevent the situation from being a colossal elephant in the locker room and cloud over the franchise during camp and heading into the season.

Any lack of clarity on this front WILL impede the team during the season.

It'd also be the opportunity for Snow to get a pretty package that can help the team now and in the future. I suspect that bids will be better before the season than at the deadline.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The difference (aside from the recent success) is Yzerman could take the huge risk as he had Hedman and Kucherov to fall back on.

Take JT out of the equation and we are literally looking at Eberle and Leddy, lmao.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The difference (aside from the recent success) is Yzerman could take the huge risk as he had Hedman and Kucherov to fall back on.

Take JT out of the equation and we are literally looking at Eberle and Leddy, lmao.

Exactly.

This team doesn't have any other elite players. If Tavares leaves, I don't see how you can possibly continue trying to "go for it" with this current group + a Duchene/RNH type in lieu of Tavares.

That's a wild card team at best.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I agree.

I'm confused with those saying to pursue Duchene/Nugent-Hopkins if JT leaves. Even with Tavares, they are lacking another elite player.

If Tavares leaves, you need to liquidate, but my biggest problem is that if Tavares leaves after the season, NYI misses out on deadline returns for....

Bailey
This is Garth Snow's personal nightmare. How are we ever going to replace those goals and Josh's legendary defense?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Snow suffered under 8 years of Nassau revenue. There is not a GM that could have built a contender in that 1970s dump with limited revenue.

Now that the Isles have moved to a big league arena, in a major league area - you can demand improvement. 16-17 was disappointing, but 15-16 Was the first year in Barclays and the best result in 23 years. Capuano gets the blame for that bump in the road.

I think they are truly poised for great things this season. Finally have a good coach and they play in a major league arena. Snow had built a monster. Things are looking up.

Staple does not seem to know much. Would not bother talking anything he says seriously.

Snow had built a monster??? This is an ok team, a playoff bubble team that has mostly underwhelmed so far.

You are really spreading the Holy Bull.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Is the travel really that bad compared to other teams?

Not every Professional athlete lives in the same city they play in.

I wrote not too long ago that I believe the ice is the biggest issue.

When Clutterbuck ranted about the ice after JT's injury that's when I was like oh s---. It's a big deal when players not only dump on their home rink, but call it out as the reason the captain got hurt.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Snow had built a monster??? This is an ok team, a playoff bubble team that has mostly underwhelmed so far.

Aside from the overextended Cappy stay, we were only 1 point from making the playoffs.

We had one of the best records in the second half bearing the burden of a team that had injuries.

As dumbfounding as some of Snow's decisions can be, he has assembled a decent team. Not the greatest team in sports, but far from the worst.

Cappy killed our chances last year, no one else.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
When Clutterbuck ranted about the ice after JT's injury that's when I was like oh s---. It's a big deal when players not only dump on their home rink, but call it out as the reason the captain got hurt.

I think the players are somewhat tired of being promised a solution for the ice and then having the solution put on hold almost all the time.

Or Clutter could just have had mounting frustrations at that point.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He rents a home about 2 blocks away from the Garden City hotel, near the Stewart Ave LIRR station.

Boychuk lives around there. Czikas is in Roslyn. Clutterbuck just bought a house in Manhasset (development off of Shelter Rock Road....same complex as Jose Reyes and Mike Francesa)

Not stalking, I have gotten the chance to play golf with Tavares, Czikas, Clutterbuck etc a few times

Boychuk and Chimera both had kids in my brother's sons classes last year in Garden City. It's funny how virtually none of these guys on the Mets or Isles ever live on the south shore. It seems it can never shake its reputation as the red headed step child

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Exactly.

This team doesn't have any other elite players. If Tavares leaves, I don't see how you can possibly continue trying to "go for it" with this current group + a Duchene/RNH type in lieu of Tavares.

That's a wild card team at best.

This is precisely why I don't care if Tavares walks for nothing. The team needs to be bad after his departure. Best case, if Tavares is leaving, is that he's dealt for top picks and established young talent (the kind Sakic is asking for right now). Otherwise, what does it matter what we get back? Middling players are worthless and will only detract from the best course of action, which is tanking. Unless they're flipping those players for more picks, it just doesn't make much sense.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Is that a dead racehorse?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Boychuk and Chimera both had kids in my brother's sons classes last year in Garden City. It's funny how virtually none of these guys on the Mets or Isles ever live on the south shore. It seems it can never shake its reputation as the red headed step child

I believe Asham had/has a house in Pt Lookout.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is precisely why I don't care if Tavares walks for nothing. The team needs to be bad after his departure. Best case, if Tavares is leaving, is that he's dealt for top picks and established young talent (the kind Sakic is asking for right now). Otherwise, what does it matter what we get back? Middling players are worthless and will only detract from the best course of action, which is tanking. Unless they're flipping those players for more picks, it just doesn't make much sense.

Yikes. I can stomach the Isles losing JT. I can even stomach losing the Belmont bid (if it means remaining at BC). But I CANNOT stomach yet another rebuild and "tanking" once again.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
North shore nassau is still primarily english speaking and wealthy safe. another world compared to the south shore.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Aside from the overextended Cappy stay, we were only 1 point from making the playoffs.

We had one of the best records in the second half bearing the burden of a team that had injuries.

As dumbfounding as some of Snow's decisions can be, he has assembled a decent team. Not the greatest team in sports, but far from the worst.

Cappy killed our chances last year, no one else.

Just like you take with a grain of salt stats that a baseball player or team puts up when they're 15 games behind in August I take the Islanders second half charge with a grain of salt. When they had must wins in Philly and Carolina in March they wet the bed.

I'm glad Doug Weight got the coaching job. He brings credibility, an NHL resume, and seems to have the respect of the guys in the room but I still see a bubble team this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Yep. Except for some guys who lived in Point Lookout I don't recall anyone ever buying a house in Wantagh.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yikes. I can stomach the Isles losing JT. I can even stomach losing the Belmont bid (if it means remaining at BC). But I CANNOT stomach yet another rebuild and "tanking" once again.

How does the team get better if it can't get the elite players it needs in order to compete? They can't seem to trade for one and they can't seem to sign them (they don't hit the market frequently). I'd love to avoid another tanking session, but I don't think it's avoidable if Tavares leaves. Ho-Sang and co. would have to end up being elite players to avoid it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yep. He died a few months ago. But unlike those nags Lord at War keeps renaming himself after Holy Bull was a champion.

I figured the capitalization meant something. Thanks for the info.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Simply could not agree with this more. Be nice and professional towards Tavares' camp, but also make it clear to them that as GM we always need to do what's best for the Islanders franchise - And no one is above the franchise.

Here's what not enough are talking about...

In the past few years Leddy, Boychuk, Ladd, Clutterbuck, and Cizikas committed to the Islanders franchise despite having to train to games, the poor ice, the mystery of where they might play in a few years, amongst other things.

If they're willing to stay with the Isles under all the same circumstances Tavares would have to play under, what does it say that JT isn't ready to commit yet?

Ladd & Boychuk already won the Cup and got sweet Godfather deals. It was about future security for their families.

JT is going to make bank wherever he ends up. But I have to think he wants to be in a good situation to contend for a Cup, and play his home games in a legit NHL arena. Not sure if Snow would make me confident in the competitive team regard, and the arena situation is not a sbhort term fix.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

If you are making millions of dollars a year and are forced to live on Long Island, who in their right mind would pick the south shore? Let's be real.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
If it's not about the money though, you can wait. Think of it like this:

Tavares says he doesn't want to stay in Brooklyn, but would love to stay if the team is getting an arena in Belmont. Ownership tells Tavares Belmont is going to happen so he should sign. Tavares would be a fool to trust ownership on something so complex with potential hiccups, and may insist on waiting until after the arena is awarded or further along than it currently is. If ownership is so confident the arena will happen, they shouldn't worry about Tavares signing since they know he'll sign once the arena is pushed forward a bit.

You cannot trade Tavares if that's the scenario and you can't blame him for waiting.

That is th most sensible scenario yet. Staple does not suggest that but Staple just answered tweet questions short and direct. Little to no context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad