Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Can someone check in on Art, he seems ornery today.

I don't know if I like that he's being brutally honest. I guess it's good that we have some sort of answers...

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The arena thing doesn't make sense to me. Even if Belmont happens, the Isles (and JT) will still have to play at Barclays for at least another 4 years.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The arena thing doesn't make sense to me. Even if Belmont happens, the Isles (and JT) will still have to play at Barclays for at least another 4 years.

Let me try to clear it up for you. I'm willing to bet that if the Isles commit to remain at Barclays long term L&M will put the team up for sale or move the team out of market. This probably was communicated to Tavares and he isn't looking to go through more franchise instability and upheaval.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Tavares knew the options were either Belmont or Brooklyn he would have signed already since the team will likely have to remain at Barclays for a few more years. My guess is there's a bigger issue than this.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Meh, I'm sure Staple's so tired of answering the same question over and over that he said that just to twist nuts.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Apparently Tavares doesn't believe that Snow is that good of a GM after all.

Maybe we would be better off with a new GM running things to keep him?

Maybe Brooklyn is a real issue unlike all the snarky folks said?

I have two contacts somewhat associated with the team. They both said players didn't like the commute. Believe or don't believe me, I don't really care. When the commute was practice as well it was worse.

None of this even matters in the end. If JT goes it will prove we can't even hang on to a star player. So what is the use of even supporting a club like that? Bad days for sure. Laughingstock. Montreal Expos of hockey. Hello Seattle.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Meh, I'm sure Staple's so tired of answering the same question over and over that he said that just to twist nuts.

I think that would be counter-productive to his profession as a guy who is known for being factual with his reporting. If he starts just randomly making things up to "twist nuts", then his reputation will take a hit because people will never know when something he reports is factual or whether he's just once again doing it for ***** and giggles.

It would be like if Bob Mackenzie gets bored and starts making random trade rumors up, he'd find himself at Eklund levels of credibility. It's why he doesn't do it. Staple, likewise, probably doesn't want a reputation as being a guy who randomly tosses out false information so you can't ever believe what he says.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

And start a **** storm that will be picked up by the Canadian media in 60 seconds? Makes no sense.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Let me try to clear it up for you. I'm willing to bet that if the Isles commit to remain at Barclays long term L&M will put the team up for sale or move the team out of market. This probably was communicated to Tavares and he isn't looking to go through more franchise instability and upheaval.

Talk about reading between the lines. Staple said that JT has a problem with "the whole setup -- travel, ice, everything" referring to Barclays. And from that you deduce that L&M will sell the team and the real reason JT is concerned is franchise instability? I dunno man, that's quite leap.

Anyway, if he re-signs, JT will have to play at Barclays for at least another 4 seasons. I was just questioning why make such a big deal about a new building when you'll be playing at the old one for half of your contract.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If Tavares knew the options were either Belmont or Brooklyn he would have signed already since the team will likely have to remain at Barclays for a few more years. My guess is there's a bigger issue than this.

So Staple is full of crap then?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Talk about reading between the lines. Staple said that JT has a problem with "the whole setup -- travel, ice, everything" referring to Barclays. And from that you deduce that L&M will sell the team and the real reason JT is concerned is franchise instability? I dunno man, that's quite leap.

Anyway, if he re-signs, JT will have to play at Barclays for at least another 4 seasons. I was just questioning why make such a big deal about a new building when you'll be playing at the old one for half of your contract.

And it's for that reason, the fact that the Isles will likely remain in Brooklyn as a temp home until Belmont is ready should we win the RFP that makes me believe there's a bigger issue going on.

Because if the problem really is just Brooklyn for JT, then he's as good as gone and he's yanking everyone's chains, something I'd like to think he's better than and give him the benefit of the doubt.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Seems like he's setting us up for the big letdown. Helping us mentally prepare.

Local290

Jun 28, 2016

Could be less about Barclays, and more about the possibility of leaving the area completely if Belmont falls through.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

4 years?

The deadline to submit is 9/15.

The coliseum referendum took 2 months to choose a winner - say on a similar time frame - an announcement could be made by 12/1.

At that point construction could begin in a couple months say by Feb 1st

Prudential took 22 months to g t built - Edmonton arena was built in 18 mos.

2019/2020 is very realistic start that is two more seasons at BC.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
4 years?

The deadline to submit is 9/15.

The coliseum referendum took 2 months to choose a winner - say on a similar time frame - an announcement could be made by 12/1.

At that point construction could begin in a couple months say by Feb 1st

Prudential took 22 months to g t built - Edmonton arena was built in 18 mos.

2019/2020 is very realistic start that is two more seasons at BC.

Things could move fast without NY politicians and Lawyers getting involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad