Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Snow should have been a lot more aggressive. JT needs to sign before training camp or trade offers will be welcome. He should have said it at the end of last season. The possibilities and return would have been much higher by September 1 than February 1.

Well, if the player's issue is more about the arena situation/uncertainty, versus anything else such as term/salary, etc. and the player WANTS to be an Islander, how is Snow at fault in any manner in that situation?

Heck, you trade a franchise player that wants to stay, is giving the organization he wants to be part of the benefit to figure out the arena situation, BEFORE the organization can solve it? Seems pretty shortsighted move. I mean say the Isles trade JT bc he didn't want to sign up due to the arena uncertainty, then in February 2018 the Isles are awarded Belmont. How does one resolve you just traded your franchise player for several months of uncertainty?

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Well, if the player's issue is more about the arena situation/uncertainty, versus anything else such as term/salary, etc. and the player WANTS to be an Islander, how is Snow at fault in any manner in that situation?

Heck, you trade a franchise player that wants to stay, is giving the organization he wants to be part of the benefit to figure out the arena situation, BEFORE the organization can solve it? Seems pretty shortsighted move. I mean say the Isles trade JT bc he didn't want to sign up due to the arena uncertainty, then in February 2018 the Isles are awarded Belmont. How does one resolve you just traded your franchise player for several months of uncertainty?

And they traded Lafontaine who was a better player than JT, a Hall of Famer who was also loved by the fans.

It's not Snows fault unless he allows JT to be bigger than this team.

Everyone has a reason why they are doing what they are doing. JT has his reasons but
The Franchise needs to protect itself and the fans demand a winner.

I am happy that JT wants to stay but it means less and less as his return diminishes (potentially to nothing).
They are offering him a lot of money and by not signing he is putting his value at risk of an injury with an expiring contract. This is not the behavior of someone who will sign.

How soon will this effect the team when day in and day out in every city they visit the talk is What's wrong with the Islanders? Why is JT not signed and a free agent open to the highest bidder?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I missed the beginning of this tap water discussion. Is the quality of NY tap water one of the factors weighing in to JT's decision?

Certainly. And, if you read between the lines you can figure out that JT's girlfriend prefers Ontario water over New York water. We stand no chance in re-signing JT.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
And they traded Lafontaine who was a better player than JT, a Hall of Famer who was also loved by the fans.

It's not Snows fault unless he allows JT to be bigger than this team.

Everyone has a reason why they are doing what they are doing. JT has his reasons but
The Franchise needs to protect itself and the fans demand a winner.

I am happy that JT wants to stay but it means less and less as his return diminishes (potentially to nothing).
They are offering him a lot of money and by not signing he is putting his value at risk of an injury with an expiring contract. This is not the behavior of someone who will sign.

How soon will this effect the team when day in and day out in every city they visit the talk is What's wrong with the Islanders? Why is JT not signed and a free agent open to the highest bidder?

They traded LaFontaine due to a contract squabble with management, one that was pretty ugly. It's a bit different when JT has said he wants to stay and is just saying 'lets play this out.'

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Certainly. And, if you read between the lines you can figure out that JT's girlfriend prefers Ontario water over New York water. We stand no chance in re-signing JT.

Lol.

He's engaged now though. So her opinion of NYC's tap water holds more weight.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My apologies. I didn't realize I was dealing with a scientist here! A rocket scientist I bet!

We all marvel at your perceptiveness...

Guess it's too early to get excited. You have some vocabulary down but your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. Keep practicing though!

Reading between the lines is actually a pretty vital and advanced skill. Don't ask me though, ask a scientist.

Last edited:

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
The NHL is a business. Even if Tavares is not staying, why would his boss nor he state he is not staying? It makes no sense.

Again, JT is going nowhere. The guy has said he doesn't believe he is going anywhere. The amount of psychologists and linguistic experts on these boards is ridiculous.

Its the real world. He wants stability, quality of life and to be paid. Everyone freakin relax
Don't need to be a psychologist to know If Tavares is not signed before training camp there is only one thing that would keep him and that would be a major run to finals . Outside of that , this franchise has been anything but stable since he arrived and this is not a TB -Stamkos thing , mark my words he is done here if the above doesn't happen because this franchise is no where near stable

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Don't need to be a psychologist to know If Tavares is not signed before training camp there is only one thing that would keep him and that would be a major run to finals . Outside of that , this franchise has been anything but stable since he arrived and this is not a TB -Stamkos thing , mark my words he is done here if the above doesn't happen because this franchise is no where near stable

So he's just lying about the arena thing?

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Tavares could by lying about the arena thing. FOr instance after reading the articles last week I realized gretzky was asked to lie and state he wanted a trade so his wife could do movies in LA. I believed his Lie for 30 years because I never read up on it further. It made the edmonton owner look good, and it made Gretzky look more like a happy camper rather then a upset player like kirk muller. THe Isles could of asked Tavares to lie to help along the arena process, or to just give the isles time even to trade him without being under pressure. So many possibilities. Personally even with a arena squared away this winter id be very very suprised that he signs a contract with the islanders. Best case scenario is hes traded at the deadline to the penguins, wins a cup, and decides to resign with the islanders. Other then that I dont see it happening.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
They traded LaFontaine due to a contract squabble with management, one that was pretty ugly. It's a bit different when JT has said he wants to stay and is just saying 'lets play this out.'

He really wants to stay but wants to let it play out at the expense of the team and maybe himself if he gets seriously injured. Makes no sense. Try to make sound positive when there is no upside for waiting.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I remember Staple first said 70-30 JT stays. Now he is saying 60-40 he stays. This is trending in the wrong way.

Staple also said 90% chance Nielsen would resign, and I think 70% Martin and Okposo. So if Staple goes down to < 50% on Tavares that's good news!

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Staple also said 90% chance Nielsen would resign, and I think 70% Martin and Okposo. So if Staple goes down to < 50% on Tavares that's good news!

So in other word Staple is full of crap. Well i hope your right. I do recall Staple always saying Okposo was a goner for the most part. Not sure about Martin but your right about Nielsen.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
He was at 70-30, now he's at 65-35 I think. Not much of a difference.

I just hope it gets done. If he locks up JT, the time is now. He needs to make more moves ASAP. There is no more waiting, this is it. If that means moving out some young guys people are high on, so be it. Proven NHL talent trumps potential 8 days a week.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure staple said he didn't think Martin or KO were staying... and he said 60-70% of trans just prior to FA...not 90.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm pretty sure staple said he didn't think Martin or KO were staying... and he said 60-70% of trans just prior to FA...not 90.

he assumed it would be easy for isles to get rid of halak offseason 2016 (not 2017)so I didnt like how he threw him under the bus .

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Tick. Tock.

giphy.gif

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If you guys would just be at peace with the fact that the Isles will always be a "mediocre at best team", you would enjoy games much more.. So as such, under that universal law, JT will definitely NOT re-sign...

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
If you guys would just be at peace with the fact that the Isles will always be a "mediocre at best team", you would enjoy games much more.. So as such, under that universal law, JT will definitely NOT re-sign...

And even if he does re-sign management will certainly NOT get the pieces needed to become a formidable franchise of relevance.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I guess it depends what part of the city you get your water from. The stuff with upstate viaduct water is sludge which is primarily Manhattan. when you get out into Nassau or Suffolk all the water is pulled from wells. It has been rated within the top ten in the nation regularly for taste. Some parts of upstate NY and the city have water pulled from reservoirs, or from lime aquifers. Gross ****.
Fairfield County guy here, we have been told for years that some of the water in our reservoirs go to the City. Our water generally tastes good, but I bet the pipes can ruin the taste-in some places here it will turn your stomach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad