Video Arron Asham KO's Jay Beagle

Vladiator16*

The best and most important thing after the fight was Pittsburgh fans response to a visibly injured player on the ice...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Didn't crack head apart on the ice, maybe next time. Fighting > Hockey?!

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It's an incredibly stupid move for Asham. Honestly would love to see a real heavyweight demolish him for that.

Show a little respect for the opponent that you just injured.

And before people say it, if anything I'm more of a Pens fan than a Caps fan, so it's not homerism bias, it's non ********* bias.

He did tap his stick once Beagle got up and was leaving the ice.

Anyone that thinks Asham realized a literal stride away from the fight that Beagle was that screwed up is just willfully ignorant of fighting in general.

Ignorance is bliss. That should become this boards motto.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
The best and most important thing after the fight was Pittsburgh fans response to a visibly injured player on the ice...

This I don't get: It's okay to condone fighting in principle, fine to stand and cheer during the fight itself, but fans should suddenly go to deep silent respect when a punch connects and a guy goes down?

Switch

Jan 23, 2011
Beagle started the fight. He wanted to fight the Pens star defensemen who has no reason to fight at that point in the game. Asham answered his call to which Beagle could have walked away from before anything even went down. Not to mention Beagle tossed the first few punches.

Here's the NHL video of the fight, with the altercation between Beagle and Letang that started it off. Beagle and Letang are at the blue line as the video starts.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=3&id=128092

What did Beagle do there that was so egregious?

Last edited:

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
This I don't get: It's okay to condone fighting in principle, fine to stand and cheer during the fight itself, but fans should suddenly go to deep silent respect when a punch connects and a guy goes down?
If you're looking for a reasoned rationale for this kind of thing that makes consistent sense, I'll think you'll be disappointed. The fact is that fighting carries with it a high risk of injury, possibly serious injury. If you cheer it, you feel that risk is worthwhile.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
The whole thing is stupid. It's a discussion of what might have been a 2 min unsportsmanlike call.

It's awkward because the NHL effectively encourages headshots (by punishing them so lightly) as long as they take place in the context of a bare-knuckled fist fight.

It's time for the NHL to grow and evolve away from fighting. It may take 4 years or 14 but it is inevitable, imo, so why not man up and do it now?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
The whole thing is stupid. It's a discussion of what might have been a 2 min unsportsmanlike call.

It's awkward because the NHL effectively encourages headshots (by punishing them so lightly) as long as they take place in the context of a bare-knuckled fist fight.

It's time for the NHL to grow and evolve away from fighting. It may take 4 years or 14 but it is inevitable, imo, so why not man up and do it now?

I think because a significant slice of many teams' fanbases enjoy the fights as much as or more than the game, and they buy the tickets and merchandize etc. Comes down to dollars. Dollars are the reason for and the key to changing hockey's culture of fighting.

Until that happens, have to ask why the Habs let Asham go all those years ago :D

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
I guess I'm an old school hockey fan, because I don't have a problem with what Asham did at all.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think because a significant slice of many teams' fanbases enjoy the fights as much as or more than the game, and they buy the tickets and merchandize etc. Comes down to dollars. Dollars are the reason for and the key to changing hockey's culture of fighting.

Until that happens, have to ask why the Habs let Asham go all those years ago :D

I may be wrong, but I would think there would be very few people that like the fight more than the game. It's like Nascar fans that only watch it for the crashes. The reality is, they don't exist. Either you like the sport or you don't. No one is going to sit through a three hour event in the hope that the sideshow might happen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone that thinks Asham realized a literal stride away from the fight that Beagle was that screwed up is just willfully ignorant of fighting in general.

do you have any knowledge of the fight game? most boxers/fighters know immediately when they land a devastating punch. The dude falling on his face in a pool of blood, not moving would have been a clue.....just sayin.

Its all being overblown here on HF as usual anyway. It's done, it's over. Move on people.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
do you have any knowledge of the fight game? most boxers/fighters know immediately when they land a devastating punch. The dude falling on his face in a pool of blood, not moving would have been a clue.....just sayin.

Its all being overblown here on HF as usual anyway. It's done, it's over. Move on people.

I'm sure he knew he landed a good punch but probably did not know how good, sometimes guys get tagged and bounce right up seconds later.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh

No. But when a trainer and doctor are on the ice, they should.

I was there last night. I cheered the knock out at about the same time Asham made his gestures (I didn't see them — I was either looking at Beagle or excitedly talking with people around me) and then I shut the **** up a second or two later when people started coming onto the ice to check up on him.

I was embarrassed by those who not only didn't shut up but who then started a "Let's Go Pens" chant while an opposing player who had been laying motionless received medical attention. Beagle was on the ice for a fair amount of time. It was plenty long enough for good sense to prevail.

As for Asham's initial reaction ... Well, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini initially was happy that he beat Duk Koo Kim in 1982.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Man, Asham is so close to stepping on Beagle's hand/wrist there. So glad that didn't happen.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I guess I'm an old school hockey fan, because I don't have a problem with what Asham did at all.

How is that "old school?" That's basically the antithesis of "old time hockey."

I don't even really have a problem with it. The guy was jacked up and did something stupid, and later was upfront about it being dumb. No big deal. But it's definitely not "old school."

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Sorry but it is relevant. When acting like Beagle did while wearing a visor then having no qualms(sp?) about dropping the gloves while wearing it makes it extremely relevant.

I'm a big sabres fan and have many times on this board called out Kaleta for pulling this same stuff while wearing a visor. Its cowardly and earns no respect IMO.

What deserves no respect was Letang shoving Beagle to get him to react. Then turtling to the refs, and having Asham fight for him.

Gillies.gif

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Big deal.

It's classless but he got caught up in the moment. The bigger problem was that Beagle should have got 2 mins for punching Asham in the face and knocking his helmet off.

fibonacci*

what is asham apologizing for?

He did his job. Dont box if you don't want to get punched or KOed.

DUHockey9

Jun 6, 2007
Hogwarts
I know what you're getting at, but I think he was really just apologizing because you don't want to add insult to injury. The guy was really hurt. Asham's a good dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad