Video Arron Asham KO's Jay Beagle

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Asham gets it. The fans supporting that kind of taunting don't. We don't really need another thread on this do we? THE END

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
He was apologizing for the gestures he made prior to the ko, I honestly thought it was a thing you do in the moment with the adrenaline going, until he realized the guy was really hurt. I give him credit for apologizing he really didnt need to, classy move on his part.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Because he's got some class and everyone was *****ing about it. He didn't have to and I wouldn't have had a problem if he said nothing about it. Emotions run high in this game and he knocked out someone in front of his home crowd. His emotions got the better of him for a couple of seconds, but he showed class in the box by clapping and tapping his stick. Time to move on.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think he should be suspended at all though. i don't condone the taunting but Asham made up for it after, and why should we suck all the personality out of hockey?

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
I think if you were to talk to Jay today he would be more upset about all the media attention he is getting for loosing a fight. If Jay played on Columbus and they were playing the Panthers and the exact same thing happened would any one even notice? He lost a fight it happens. I think it's pretty crazy that Jay wanted to come back into the game and is not showing concussion symptons one tuff S.O.B.

Mojo Risin*

Because the fight is seen as a mismatch, and then the celebration he does after it. It just comes off as really brutal. I thought the KO was great, but maybe the celebration wasn't really needed in that situation. Maybe if there had been alot of trash talking leading up to the fight and the other guy really asked for it, it would have been more appropriate, meh.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What deserves no respect was Letang shoving Beagle to get him to react. Then turtling to the refs, and having Asham fight for him.

Gillies.gif

Beagle got suckered into taking a stupid penalty by Letang, How did Letang turtle to the refs? Letang didn't have to fight Beagle just like Beagle didn't have to fight Asham.

mooseOAK*

I love TSN . Oh what a horrible, horrible thing! Now here are 10 replays of this event that has no place in hockey.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
suspension for taunting? wtf is wrong with you people? where the **** is the fun in this sport?! Let him be an ass if he wants too...karma has a way of doling out it's own punishment.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Beagle got suckered into taking a stupid penalty by Letang, How did Letang turtle to the refs? Letang didn't have to fight Beagle just like Beagle didn't have to fight Asham.

I disagree, the reason Asham wanted to fight Beagle was because it was deemed that Beagle had messed with one of the Pens stars. If Beagle declines to fight it does not make the issue disappear, he's either going to have to deal with players all game trying to fight him or he runs the risk of a Pens player going after a Caps star because of his own mistake. Lets not sit here and act like this was a fight that was just two willing participants trying to fire up their own teams and if one declines to fight then that's it. This fight was a result of an action, whether it's right or wrong, Beagle knew he had to pay a price for his actions and I really don't think him declining to fight was an option. My problem is this though, we all know the guy is going to pay the price for violating some stupid hockey code, so if you're going to insist the matter is settled "like men" than why not do just that and have someone more on his level dance with him. I don't like the idea that because someone got a little rough with a star that they have to pay a price, I especially don't like the idea that because someone got a little rough with a star that have to pay the price at the hands of an experienced goon. If there really is a code of honor for hockey than if you're going to make a guy pay for something, give him the courtesy of sending a comparable fighter after him. Not that Jay Beagle is a star by any means, but it would rub a lot of people the wrong way if say someone like Ovechkin or Crosby had to fight an enforcer because of a hit they made. Goons should stick to fighting goons, it's a lack of respect for the opponent that I find somewhat unsettling.

I also think the idea that Asham crushed a guy he was supposed to crush is what made the taunting even more disturbing. Asham asked a guy who has only a handful of AHL scraps to step up, if we go by your perspective he doesn't have to but he obliges, predictably he gets smashed, shouldn't Asham have some level of respect that he just called out some guy who probably knew he was going to get crunched and the guy stood toe to toe with him anyways? I mean Asham got up like he just pounded another gritty enforcer or something. If Beagle had avoided Asham all night all people would talk about is how much of a ***** he was, instead he steps up and faces his judgment, that's worthy of instant respect from an opponent IMO. I understand Asham got caught up in the moment and all that, but why? He just KO'd a guy who he should have KO'd.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Good on Asham for apologizing. He manned up.

Unlike classless punks like Ference and his "glove malfunction".

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
When did everyone get so sensitive and soft? If you have anything against that fight you are a loser.

the end

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I disagree, the reason Asham wanted to fight Beagle was because it was deemed that Beagle had messed with one of the Pens stars. If Beagle declines to fight it does not make the issue disappear, he's either going to have to deal with players all game trying to fight him or he runs the risk of a Pens player going after a Caps star because of his own mistake. Lets not sit here and act like this was a fight that was just two willing participants trying to fire up their own teams and if one declines to fight then that's it. This fight was a result of an action, whether it's right or wrong, Beagle knew he had to pay a price for his actions and I really don't think him declining to fight was an option. My problem is this though, we all know the guy is going to pay the price for violating some stupid hockey code, so if you're going to insist the matter is settled "like men" than why not do just that and have someone more on his level dance with him. I don't like the idea that because someone got a little rough with a star that they have to pay a price, I especially don't like the idea that because someone got a little rough with a star that have to pay the price at the hands of an experienced goon. If there really is a code of honor for hockey than if you're going to make a guy pay for something, give him the courtesy of sending a comparable fighter after him. Not that Jay Beagle is a star by any means, but it would rub a lot of people the wrong way if say someone like Ovechkin or Crosby had to fight an enforcer because of a hit they made. Goons should stick to fighting goons, it's a lack of respect for the opponent that I find somewhat unsettling.

I also think the idea that Asham crushed a guy he was supposed to crush is what made the taunting even more disturbing. Asham asked a guy who has only a handful of AHL scraps to step up, if we go by your perspective he doesn't have to but he obliges, predictably he gets smashed, shouldn't Asham have some level of respect that he just called out some guy who probably knew he was going to get crunched and the guy stood toe to toe with him anyways? I mean Asham got up like he just pounded another gritty enforcer or something. If Beagle had avoided Asham all night all people would talk about is how much of a ***** he was, instead he steps up and faces his judgment, that's worthy of instant respect from an opponent IMO. I understand Asham got caught up in the moment and all that, but why? He just KO'd a guy who he should have KO'd.

From Mike Knuble's comments it seemed like Asham asked Beagle to drop them, it's not like Asham jumped Beagle. The Pens were down at that point so they weren't going to take a stupid penalty to cancel out the PP they had just got, so I think if Beagle had declined nothing further would happen that game . Asham was doing his job which was making it clear that you shouldn't mess with the Pens star players, it's not his job to say "Well I'm clearly out of this guys league I should leave this one to someone else" (I mean if Asham doesn't step in then it would be Engelland who is probably even stronger).

If someone challenged Crosby or OV in that situation then someone else would step up for them because they're stars but Beagle is a guy who is trying to cement a place in the lineup so showing that he's willing to stand up for himself is just another reason that they might keep him around.

Asham probably had no idea how much scrapping experience this guy has and as I said one of the reasons Asham is on the team is to make sure other teams don't take liberties with the Pens best players, it's not his problem if the guy who is taking liberties has very little fighting experience. Asham's adrenaline was probably in overdrive after the fight and I don't think he was actually taunting Beagle more playing to the crowd. I have no doubt Asham has a ton of respect for Beagle for taking him on. It's all well and good to analyse all this after it's happened but these things happen so quickly and it must be very easy to be caught up in the moment.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
From Mike Knuble's comments it seemed like Asham asked Beagle to drop them, it's not like Asham jumped Beagle. The Pens were down at that point so they weren't going to take a stupid penalty to cancel out the PP they had just got, so I think if Beagle had declined nothing further would happen that game . Asham was doing his job which was making it clear that you shouldn't mess with the Pens star players, it's not his job to say "Well I'm clearly out of this guys league I should leave this one to someone else" (I mean if Asham doesn't step in then it would be Engelland who is probably even stronger).

If someone challenged Crosby or OV in that situation then someone else would step up for them because they're stars but Beagle is a guy who is trying to cement a place in the lineup so showing that he's willing to stand up for himself is just another reason that they might keep him around.

Asham probably had no idea how much scrapping experience this guy has and as I said one of the reasons Asham is on the team is to make sure other teams don't take liberties with the Pens best players, it's not his problem if the guy who is taking liberties has very little fighting experience. Asham's adrenaline was probably in overdrive after the fight and I don't think he was actually taunting Beagle more playing to the crowd. I have no doubt Asham has a ton of respect for Beagle for taking him on. It's all well and good to analyse all this after it's happened but these things happen so quickly and it must be very easy to be caught up in the moment.

Except it was textbook instigator and it didn't get called so Asham clearly wasn't thinking about the PP, also what part of Knuble's comments leave you to believe Asham asked Beagle and had he said no he'd leave him be? All of the Knuble comments I've seen simply are character testimonials for Asham, he doesn't speak of anything related to the fight itself. Furthermore, this is hockey, it's not like if Asham doesn't fight Beagle immediately that's that, it's quite possible that if Beagle declines that fight than as you said Engelland steps in at some point. Like you and so many have said, this is Ashams job, so why do people seem to think he'd just let Beagle enjoy the rest of his night had he declined? The majority of Asham's purpose it to make sure guys like Letang don't get roughed up, it's what puts food on his table so I can't see him just letting it go. And I'm really not looking at this as Beagle trying to win over points with the brass, more so him adhering to some unwritten and frankly stupid code of conduct for hockey. I've got no problem with Asham and his job, he seems like a stand up guy, I've got more of a problem with the idiotic code that because one player gets white washed a bit the other player must suffer a beating. My theory is if you're going to have a code in place to "self-regulate" and you pride yourself on it, then actually have a bit of honor to it have the fights be somewhat balanced.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Except it was textbook instigator and it didn't get called so Asham clearly wasn't thinking about the PP, also what part of Knuble's comments leave you to believe Asham asked Beagle and had he said no he'd leave him be? All of the Knuble comments I've seen simply are character testimonials for Asham, he doesn't speak of anything related to the fight itself. Furthermore, this is hockey, it's not like if Asham doesn't fight Beagle immediately that's that, it's quite possible that if Beagle declines that fight than as you said Engelland steps in at some point. Like you and so many have said, this is Ashams job, so why do people seem to think he'd just let Beagle enjoy the rest of his night had he declined? The majority of Asham's purpose it to make sure guys like Letang don't get roughed up, it's what puts food on his table so I can't see him just letting it go. And I'm really not looking at this as Beagle trying to win over points with the brass, more so him adhering to some unwritten and frankly stupid code of conduct for hockey. I've got no problem with Asham and his job, he seems like a stand up guy, I've got more of a problem with the idiotic code that because one player gets white washed a bit the other player must suffer a beating. My theory is if you're going to have a code in place to "self-regulate" and you pride yourself on it, then actually have a bit of honor to it have the fights be somewhat balanced.

“My understanding is he asked Jay in the way the fights are started, Jay obliged and they scrapped…I give him credit for apologizing and realizing what he did [after] was wrong. Stuff happens in the heat of battle but with regard to what happened to Jay [injuries], that’s happened to about everybody that fights.â€

Not to be an ass but could you put some paragraphs in your posts because they're difficult to read.

Mike Knuble quote

From my reading of that quote it seems like Asham asked him to go and Beagle obliged, so I don't see why an instigator would be issued on that sort of fight.

Given the situation the game was in, I'm sure Bylsma would have made it very clear to his players to not do anything stupid to take a penalty given that they were down 2-1 (after all it was a glove to the face, not exactly a Matt Cooke level cheapshot).

Lots of marginal NHLers have talked about fighting as another way to make it to the show, as if they don't do it then there are 3 or 4 guys behind them who will. As for Beagle having to suffer a beating, he squared off in a fair fight and he lost which is always a possible outcome when these things happens. The whole point of the code is that you want to discourage Beagle from doing it again which fighting Ben Lovejoy or Pascal Dupuis in a hugfest doesn't accomplish. Also Beagle was out of his depth experience wise but he did have the size advantage on Asham

pensfan8

Mar 16, 2007
it was asham that wanted to fight.

i'm pretty sure i read somewhere asham went to tell him to settle down and beagle wanted to fight. and well the rest is history. not nice to see a guy get hurt like that but i think more messages should be sent like that. i'd rather see that than a check from behind when a guy is 2 feet from the boards.

pensfan8

Mar 16, 2007
i love the line drawn probably by the people that never played hockey and the true hockey players. what would have happened if somebody anybody would have hit gretzky in his prime ? there was no code for fighters fighting fighters. you did crap like that you were getting in a fight if not two fights if not three fights until you realized that you don't do crap like that. im not saying don't hit superstars but without that instigator penalty you don't really have to worry because your tough guy is going to have to fight their tough guy because you hit their star. what a sport. thats what the league has become the players can't police they league tries and look what happens. i can't wait until those two teams play again it will a stage for the world to see a replay of last years long island pens game after johnson kod dipietro.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Odd saying Asham was both classless and classy? lol Poor move on the ice, smart one off it.

Asham made a mistake with that gesture no doubt, but if you look at the fight again Asham stops Beagle's head from slamming into the ground, and that is classy or Beagle would have been even more injured. I am actually very surprised at Asham's taunt, I never knew him to be that type of player

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
suspension for taunting? wtf is wrong with you people? where the **** is the fun in this sport?! Let him be an ass if he wants too...karma has a way of doling out it's own punishment.

I would bet he gets a game as others have gotten in the past. The league does not want that type of showboating on another head injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->