Video Arron Asham KO's Jay Beagle

Hale Dunter

Feb 2, 2009
DC
I have no problem with fighting in hockey BUT why does Letang need a goon to do his dirty work? Its not Wayne Gretzky its KRIS LeTANG! Fight your own battles, son. Especially when it is Jay Beagle!

Asham can defend Crosby when someone who is an actual threat comes knocking.

Now, Beagle, for his part should have just went to the ice. That was foolish.

laufer72

Jan 16, 2010
It's an incredibly stupid move for Asham. Honestly would love to see a real heavyweight demolish him for that.

Show a little respect for the opponent that you just injured.

And before people say it, if anything I'm more of a Pens fan than a Caps fan, so it's not homerism bias, it's non ********* bias.

Interestingly, when Tie Domi did it it was called "entertainment".......... ;)

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Did anyone check to see if Mario Lemieux thinks this is ok "to reflect the state of the league" or is he re-thinking his position to see if he still wants to be part of this league?

Last edited:

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
so is this the greatest rivalry in the game now? Local DC sports radio are claiming that, but remember, they know NOTHING about hockey. But i was thinking about this, it looked like the rivalry would slow down but it doesn't look like it.

laufer72

Jan 16, 2010
so is this the greatest rivalry in the game now? Local DC sports radio are claiming that, but remember, they know NOTHING about hockey. But i was thinking about this, it looked like the rivalry would slow down but it doesn't look like it.

As long as Flyers exist, they will be Pens biggest rival, not Caps.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Did anyone check to see if Mario Lemieux thinks this is ok "to reflect the state of the league" or is he re-thinking his position to see if he still wants to be part of this league?

Did anyone check to see if he actually cares about the opinion of a message board tapper?

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC

To be fair, most are claiming that it's the HOTTEST rivalry in the game right now, which is a much more fair statement.
Also, some sports personalities here do have a decent grasp of the game, and the ones who don't readily admit that they don't. It is true that literally every radio host here is FAR more well versed in football (at every level), basketball (at every level) and even baseball than they are with hockey. There isn't any shame in that though imo.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Asham's taunts where out of place, though not as bad as what others are saying. He apologized after which was a good move by him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
"Greatest" implies an "all time" sense, and it's nowhere close to a lot of deep rooted old-time rivalries, but it's one of the better rivalries at the moment. I still think Habs/Bruins is #1, then probably Van/Chi #2, then I'd go with Pitt/Wash #3.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
When has Letang ever been known as a guy who backs down from fights?? This is the same guy that was fighting multiple fights a game in the preseason just a year ago and had to be asked by coaches and management to back it down...

Maybe Beagle should have followed the scouting report a little closer to know that Asham could throw down with the best of them...All he had to do was skate away...instead he just GIF'D himself..thanks bud!

Beagle's trying to cement his place on the team so I imagine he thought if he could get through the fight that it would be another string to his bow and help him stay in the team, unfortunately it back fired. I have no doubt that Beagle knew that Asham could seriously throwdown before the fight happened.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Beagle's trying to cement his place on the team so I imagine he thought if he could get through the fight that it would be another string to his bow and help him stay in the team, unfortunately it back fired. I have no doubt that Beagle knew that Asham could seriously throwdown before the fight happened.

Beagle punches Letang in the face, and apparently that wasn't enough so he knocked his helmet off to boot.

Asham challenges, and even though he knows Asham is a lightweight fighter, realizes he's 25 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller and figures "What's the worse that can happen?"

It really isn't any simpler than that.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
It should be an instant unsportsmanlike penalty if you celebrate after a fight.
A fight is not a goal! It is a penalty. If you start celebrating after an elbowing penalty or mock a tripping penalty you would instantly recieve an unsportsmanlike penalty. This should be no different.

Inklings

and you feel shame
Feb 8, 2007
www.myspace.com
I'm pretty sure Asham initiated the fight.

Beagle started the fight. He wanted to fight the Pens star defensemen who has no reason to fight at that point in the game. Asham answered his call to which Beagle could have walked away from before anything even went down. Not to mention Beagle tossed the first few punches.

Offdapost*

man poor beagle he got knocked the fudge out, disappointing to see asham with the motion at first but tapping his stick at the end and apologizing was nice

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
It should be an instant unsportsmanlike penalty if you celebrate after a fight.
A fight is not a goal! It is a penalty. If you start celebrating after an elbowing penalty or mock a tripping penalty you would instantly recieve an unsportsmanlike penalty. This should be no different.

Ditto!

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Beagle started the fight. He wanted to fight the Pens star defensemen who has no reason to fight at that point in the game. Asham answered his call to which Beagle could have walked away from before anything even went down. Not to mention Beagle tossed the first few punches.

Asham initiated the actual fight, I'm not saying Beagle's actions didn't lead to the fight but the fact that Beagle wears a visor isn't relevant as Asham came to challenge him.

Inklings

and you feel shame
Feb 8, 2007
www.myspace.com
Asham initiated the actual fight, I'm not saying Beagle's actions didn't lead to the fight but the fact that Beagle wears a visor isn't relevant as Asham came to challenge him.

Sorry but it is relevant. When acting like Beagle did while wearing a visor then having no qualms(sp?) about dropping the gloves while wearing it makes it extremely relevant.

I'm a big sabres fan and have many times on this board called out Kaleta for pulling this same stuff while wearing a visor. Its cowardly and earns no respect IMO.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sorry but it is relevant. When acting like Beagle did while wearing a visor then having no qualms(sp?) about dropping the gloves while wearing it makes it extremely relevant.

I'm a big sabres fan and have many times on this board called out Kaleta for pulling this same stuff while wearing a visor. Its cowardly and earns no respect IMO.

Just because you wear a visor doesn't mean you can't play chippy, heck Letang plays chippy and wears a visor. So it was cowardly for Beagle to accept a fight against a much tougher opponent? Doesn't make sense to me.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

Kaleta=/=Beagle

Good of you to acknowledge Kaleta as a puke, but reacting during the play, then NOT declining an invitation from a proven scrapper isn't classless or gutless. Stupid, but not cowardly.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone that thinks Asham realized a literal stride away from the fight that Beagle was that screwed up is just willfully ignorant of fighting in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->