Video Arron Asham KO's Jay Beagle

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I've got nothing but respect for Asham. As has been mentioned, he was just pumped with adrenaline after handling himself as well as a guy can in a scrap. Hopefully Beagle recovers, and learns a lesson.

My question is this: when will Letang answer for his own BS? Not saying it was overt here, but the guy is like Chelios: all stick. Hack and whack when the opportunity arises, and never backs it up himself.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Wow, great right hand there.. I don't blame Asham one bit. I'd be pretty pumped too if I just knocked someone TFO.. Points for him stepping up and apologizing for the actions. He didn't have to do that.

Sony Eriksson*

Maybe when Pitt plays Dallas Godard can show Asham him how it feels to get KO'd.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe when Pitt plays Dallas Godard can show Asham him how it feels to get KO'd.

3 things wrong with that statement.

1. Godard liked it in Pittsburgh, him and Asham were teammates and since they were both fighters, they probably got along. He won't want to be enemies with his former team and fan base

2. Godard's fights are just thrown fists, I don't recall him ever knocking out anyone, and doesn't have great balance in fights.

3. If Godard is going to fight anyone on the Pens, it would be Steve MacIntyre who beat Godard when he was here and MacIntyre was in Edmonton.

By the way, I like the way the Stars are playing hockey this year, caught a couple of their games on center ice, they are looking good.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
Asham absolutely destroys Beagle, Ends with a KO

Aaron Asham and Jay Beagle fought and Asham absolutely put a beating on Beagle.
After the KO, Asham did a little bragging by putting his hands under his cheek to mimic going to sleep. Asham called it a "classless" move, no doubt saving some HF posters the time and energy in doing so.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada

1. Godard liked it in Pittsburgh, him and Asham were teammates and since they were both fighters, they probably got along. He won't want to be enemies with his former team and fan base

2. Godard's fights are just thrown fists, I don't recall him ever knocking out anyone, and doesn't have great balance in fights.

3. If Godard is going to fight anyone on the Pens, it would be Steve MacIntyre who beat Godard when he was here and MacIntyre was in Edmonton.

By the way, I like the way the Stars are playing hockey this year, caught a couple of their games on center ice, they are looking good.

Godard has a ton of power in his punches and he's very capable of TKO/KOing anyone.

Secondly Godard won the fight against MacIntyre breaking Mac's face in the process.

nTsplnk*

There was already a thread on this last night, it turned into a Caps vs Pens *****fest and the mods had to close it.

Sony Eriksson*

Every single year the hockey experts (ha!) slot Dallas as a cellar team but nearly every season they do just the opposite. We are used to people underestimating the Stars and its great to see threads that start the season like 'The Stars suck and will finish at the bottom" only to have threads later in the season saying "The Stars are a legitimate team and are underrated".

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Aaron Asham and Jay Beagle fought and Asham absolutely put a beating on Beagle.
After the KO, Asham did a little bragging by putting his hands under his cheek to mimic going to sleep. Asham called it a "classless" move, no doubt saving some HF posters the time and energy in doing so.

It's an incredibly stupid move for Asham. Honestly would love to see a real heavyweight demolish him for that.

Show a little respect for the opponent that you just injured.

And before people say it, if anything I'm more of a Pens fan than a Caps fan, so it's not homerism bias, it's non ********* bias.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
I was surprised there wasn't a thread.. Oh well.

But while it was a dumb gesture, he said he got caught up in the emotions of the game. Silly move on his part for sure, but that KO was a thing of beauty.

devin1487

Dec 27, 2006
Winnipeg
my favourite part was tsn saying not going to make a big deal about this and then talks about it for 5 minutes and now is top story on the site.

It's not like he punched him while he was down or anything. Stupid to celebrate but move on he's already apologized

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
There is a thread in hockey fights about this , general consensus is that the fight went Ashams way after that first punch , the showboating may have been excessive , but Asham wasn't aware of the injury sustained , felt remorse once in the penalty box as well as in the post-game interview where he described his move as "classless".

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Bad fight with some lucky shots. Asham is looking the other way and catches a good hit then capitalizes, but I wouldn't chalk up what he did as "SUPER AWESOME BEATDOWN KO OF THE YEAR"

Had he been against a more notable fighter he probably would either have been flipped or pummeled. Fail to see the spectacle.

Asham's one of the best middleweights in the league, it definitely wasn't a lucky shot.

I've got nothing but respect for Asham. As has been mentioned, he was just pumped with adrenaline after handling himself as well as a guy can in a scrap. Hopefully Beagle recovers, and learns a lesson.

My question is this: when will Letang answer for his own BS? Not saying it was overt here, but the guy is like Chelios: all stick. Hack and whack when the opportunity arises, and never backs it up himself.

Letang has fought before but had no reason to drop the gloves with a 4th liner at that point in the game.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
ammunition for what?

Not sure what you don't understand. They're trying to eliminate headshots, what do you think that punch was? I'll answer - A brutal headshot that caused injury, possibly serious injury. On top of that, you have fans going crazy while a guy is badly hurt on the ice being attended to by doctors. This is very bad imagry for the NHL. Today were hearing former tough guys come out against fighting as a reaction to this. Lindy Ruff made my exact argument to Sabres beat reporter Paul Hamilton. If the Caps player had fallen on his head, and he's lucky he didn't, he could have died. So if you didn't see the anti-fighting ammo in this fight, open your eyes because it was as obvious. It was my first thought when I saw it live.

Xavier Laflamme*

When has Letang ever been known as a guy who backs down from fights?? This is the same guy that was fighting multiple fights a game in the preseason just a year ago and had to be asked by coaches and management to back it down...

Maybe Beagle should have followed the scouting report a little closer to know that Asham could throw down with the best of them...All he had to do was skate away...instead he just GIF'D himself..thanks bud!

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC

I don't really have a problem with taunting of any kind in hockey to be honest (besides the most extreme cases when an opponent is grievously injured or something like racialized taunts). If the other team takes offense, let them handle it.

I will say that Letang, while a quality hockey player, is a little puke ON THE ICE that slashes and cross-checks between and after the whistle more than any player I've seen in recent memory. He's significantly worse than even Komisarek was in his heyday and far worse than Crosby ever was even at his most petulant imo (Crosby has matured greatly since those days obviously). It's borderline absurd how much that kid gets away with regularly, and I'm sure Beagle was reacting to liberties taken by Letang when he struck the blow that set off these chain of events.

I'm not trying to make Beagle out a hockey martyr, but the kid is a very professional (approach wise), honest hockey player. For him to react the way he did to Letang lets me know that he was clearly bothered by something Letang was doing or had done previously. The only other plausible explanation would be that Beagle, a very sanguine kid, desperate to prove his worth/mettle thought that punching Letang in the head would make an impression with the coaches.....up a goal...deep into the third period.

As for the fight, Beagle, a complete non-fighter got destroyed by a very competent fighter. A very predictable outcome to a very lopsided matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad