Around the NHL XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I mean not hockey related, but...

There’s a litany of reasons. The drastic growth of both human collective wealth and inequality. Pollution. Rising tendencies of isolationism and a general distrust of intellectualism.

Most scary for me is affirmation bias and the increase of smart devices has essentially reduced critical thinking to a point where it is becoming dangerous to our evolution.

We’re not too far gone yet. A reorganization and additional of investments in education and further regulations for internet search engines might sway the curve the other direction.

The amount of times I see something on Facebook that's been liked a million times and then I do a 5 second google search and see the quote totally taken out of context or not even right is really sad. I think social media might be one of the worst innovations of the millennium so far for humanity...at least when it comes to things created without malicious intentions.

Forums like this I think are more of a net positive tool in my mind as they seem to connect people with similar interests that may have different opinions to have (hopefully) somewhat intellectual based discussions about a topic. Of course the main board often kills that theory.

Anyways...

When it comes to fighting, how would the NHL handle this in the future? I have no issue with banning it in junior leagues. At first I was thinking for awhile that just having a comprehensive education program for the players in the NHL about the dangers and then letting them make the choice would be enough since at least they are adults and should be able to make responsible choices for themselves. But just like PEDs in sports, there will always be those individuals who will do whatever it takes to make it even at the detriment of their long term health and may need to be saved from themselves.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hockey being so expensive to play at elite levels is doing more to curb fighting than anything else. Leagues aren't full of blue collared kids who's only other choice of employment is the coal mine. Most kids come from upper middle class an above, where you're pretty much expected to grow up, get a good job and retain all of your teeth to be successful. And we've also seen with the sons of many former NHLers, the tough guy dads (Domi, DeBrusk, etc) made a point of making sure their kids focused more on skills than fists.

I wouldn't be surprised in the next ten years if fighting becomes more like a bit of a smoke 'n mirrors show like we see in baseball, where players face off and do a bit of pushing and shoving, and nothing much else comes of it. You might see the occasional fight where punches are thrown, but it would be quite rare.

Reactions: Silencio

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
There's no doubt that the internet has boosted ignorance in a large portion of the population.

I am a massive believer in regulation for search engines. Every time you search anything remotely informational the commonly held scientific beliefs, previously held ones, a brief summary of the history and popular dissenting opinions with scientific validated arguments should ‘pop up’

Like a Encyclopedia Britanica page you may close after a 15 time delay. You have to force people to read or at least casually view the facts before they go on some altruistic crusade.

Coal miners also make more than office workers. (Drive a truck 12 hours? Pee clean? Here’s 120k yearly to start and a 36k signing bonus)

And I still worry more about bodychecks than fighting. It’s barbaric but you just need like one or two guys who can knuckle up.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As a species I’d argue we are devolving and becoming less intelligent.

Actually, this is probably the smartest the human species on a whole has ever been in our history, by a pretty significant margin.

The problem is that we have become over-specialized in our individual knowledge, and have become over-confident that our specialized knowledge base in and of itself gives us licence to make informed opinions on topics outside of our specialization.

It's not that the species is getting dumber, it's that our ego is getting waaaaaaay too big for our britches.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Actually, this is probably the smartest the human species on a whole has ever been in our history, by a pretty significant margin.

The problem is that we have become over-specialized in our individual knowledge, and have become over-confident that our specialized knowledge base in and of itself gives us licence to make informed opinions on topics outside of our specialization.

It's not that the species is getting dumber, it's that our ego is getting waaaaaaay too big for our britches.

"To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As a collective, our rate of gaining knowledge is the fastest it's ever been. As individuals, we're falling behind badly.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Every generation has difficulty & can't understand their children's technology & as technology races forward we are slowly being left behind as we age. We have become our grandparents who could not operate the VCR or our parents who have too many remotes that they forget what they are all for. Soon our children will be talking about us the way we talked about our grandparents & parents as we also fall behind their technology curve, if we aren't already. And soon our children will also be falling behind their children's technology too, as they age into another version of us. What good is technology if it doesn't lift us all up, if it doesn't lift everyone in this world up?

We live in a world where greed continues to rule the day especially down south where people don't seem to want anyone else to have or profit more than they do. Rather than building a world of abundance where everyone can have their basic human needs & necessities which could be provided they instead continue to exploit the weak, bomb those who disagree with them & steal their resources. The strong continue to eat the weak, the main stream medias continue to push their lies & use fear as a tool to pit people against each other & even with all this knowledge & technology to make a better world for everyone they only want a better world for themselves. It's a world wide game of Monopoly where the rich are trying to knock every other player off the board so they can take their hotels & houses, their resources & control everything.

We thought that silicon valley would solve all our problems & be different from the greedy rich people of other generations but we have seen what Google & Facebook & others have become, just more of the same. We now live in a world where because of technologies they listen to every phone call, read every text or email, watch everything we do & place more & more restrictions against us. Rich people exploit poor people to do all of the things they don't want to do themselves & need the poor to work on their behalf, to grow their food, to babysit their children, to make the products & playthings they want & pay them the bare minimum, it's basically economic slavery. Greed is the religion of the day & money is the god they worship & the goal should be to break this wheel. There is a glimmer of hope with some to change the world for the betterment of all countries, all societies & all people to use technology to free the world of this yoke but the rich will always resist this & they are. We need to build a better world for everyone, we need to lift everyone up, not just ourselves. End of rant.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Every generation has difficulty & can't understand their children's technology & as technology races forward we are slowly being left behind as we age. We have become our grandparents who could not operate the VCR or our parents who have too many remotes that they forget what they are all for. Soon our children will be talking about us the way we talked about our grandparents & parents as we also fall behind their technology curve, if we aren't already. And soon our children will also be falling behind their children's technology too, as they age into another version of us. What good is technology if it doesn't lift us all up, if it doesn't lift everyone in this world up?

We live in a world where greed continues to rule the day especially down south where people don't seem to want anyone else to have or profit more than they do. Rather than building a world of abundance where everyone can have their basic human needs & necessities which could be provided they instead continue to exploit the weak, bomb those who disagree with them & steal their resources. The strong continue to eat the weak, the main stream medias continue to push their lies & use fear as a tool to pit people against each other & even with all this knowledge & technology to make a better world for everyone they only want a better world for themselves. It's a world wide game of Monopoly where the rich are trying to knock every other player off the board so they can take their hotels & houses, their resources & control everything.

We thought that silicon valley would solve all our problems & be different from the greedy rich people of other generations but we have seen what Google & Facebook & others have become, just more of the same. We now live in a world where because of technologies they listen to every phone call, read every text or email, watch everything we do & place more & more restrictions against us. Rich people exploit poor people to do all of the things they don't want to do themselves & need the poor to work on their behalf, to grow their food, to babysit their children, to make the products & playthings they want & pay them the bare minimum, it's basically economic slavery. Greed is the religion of the day & money is the god they worship & the goal should be to break this wheel. There is a glimmer of hope with some to change the world for the betterment of all countries, all societies & all people to use technology to free the world of this yoke but the rich will always resist this & they are. We need to build a better world for everyone, we need to lift everyone up, not just ourselves. End of rant.

I wonder what Orwell would think if he had found out the people became more like Big Brother than the government.

And it's funny...you talk about technology passing us by, it's already happening in my case. As a kid I wanted everything...the robot toys, the calculator watch, the first home computers and video games...and it was all so easy. These days the thought of reprogramming the channels on the tv feels like advanced quantum physics level difficult. Amazing how it creeps up on you.

Reactions: aragorn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think it has, it's just helped bring it to the forefront.

Back in the day people with no ability to think critically did not tend to be exposed to situations that require nuanced thinking to appreciate the complexity of.

Now those idiots are exposed to things that they have no ability to grasp and, on top of that, they now have a megaphone to proudly proclaim how stupid they are, that they are looking for others like them and want they want people like them as leaders.

So it while it has pushed it to the forefront, it has also made the problem much worse: back in the day you'd just ignore idiots, now those idiots matter. The Internet, as expected, has lead to the glorification of mediocrity; the only hope against this silent onslaught is the end of anonymity online.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I don't get the whole need of "policing" in hockey. Do hockey players have such low respect for each other that they need deterrents to not do bad things? How come we don't have "enforcers" in NFL, Rugby, NBA or any other sport for that matter.
I really don't follow the three sports you listed closely enough to comment ... but in Baseball there is absolutely a culture of "retaliation" for hitting a batter, which serves as a deterrent.

Not exactly the same as an enforcer, but the intent is similar -- mess with guys on my team, and you will pay.

Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Rangers acquire Trouba for Pionk and the 20th OVR pick

Gorton is an incredible GM. Imagine getting Trouba for Wolanin and the 19th OVR pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

And on the flipside the Jets basically gave up Trouba to rent Hayes for 3 months.

Laughably bad asset management from a guy who's usually pretty good at it in Cheveldayoff.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
LOL. The Rangers traded Winnipeg's own pick back to them.

Amazing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The trade isn't the bumbling move people are making it out to be for the Jets. The Jets were never going to get full value because he was basically a rental to almost every team.

They have a player 1 year away from unrestricted free agency who regardless of whether he'll re-sign in New York basically has to be traded for a rental type return, because if he is unwilling to sign an extension with other interested teams, it will prevent a bidding war that would have been predicated on him being "extended".

Not to mention, they aren't in a position to try and leverage the situation by threatening to hold on to him if their price isn't met. They don't have the cap space to do it.

I think it's a great trade for the Rangers, I just think the crap the Jets are getting for it ignores the reality of moving a player with Trouba's contract status.

I will admit, after hearing Nic Pecan should be the center piece of a Stone package because he is only a rental, it is incredibly satisfying seeing Jets fans dictate that Trouba should return Nolan Patrick+ and then get a rental return.

Reactions: Deku

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
The trade isn't the bumbling move people are making it out to be for the Jets. The Jets were never going to get full value because he was basically a rental to almost every team.

They have a player 1 year away from unrestricted free agency who regardless of whether he'll re-sign in New York basically has to be traded for a rental type return, because if he is unwilling to sign an extension with other interested teams, it will prevent a bidding war that would have been predicated on him being "extended".

Not to mention, they aren't in a position to try and leverage the situation by threatening to hold on to him if their price isn't met. They don't have the cap space to do it.

I think it's a great trade for the Rangers, I just think the crap the Jets are getting for it ignores the reality of moving a player with Trouba's contract status.

I will admit, after hearing Nic Pecan should be the center piece of a Stone package because he is only a rental, it is incredibly satisfying seeing Jets fans dictate that Trouba should return Nolan Patrick+ and then get a rental return.

so same scenario as karl and stone. wonder if you would consider those bumbling trades by dorion

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
so same scenario as karl and stone. wonder if you would consider those bumbling trades by dorion

That it got to the point where our best forward and our best D, who both wanted to stay, were traded away is the issue.

The return on Karlsson wasn't very impressive and I doubt that changes (and I think Norris has good upside). The return on Stone was solid however, teams simply don't move prospects of Brannstrom's calibre. Although GMGM gave away Forsberg for Erat so maybe it's a GMGM thing.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

We got Brannstrom.

Look at it this way....how many late 1st/late 2nd round picks would Brannstrom be worth if we decided to flip him at the draft...?

This is a really crappy situation, but given the hole we put ourselves in keeping three big UFAs until the week of the deadline, I am astounded we walked away from this with this kind of piece.

People shouldn't be happy that it came to this, but I think we should be very relieved that we didn't get another two B/C prospects, two late 1sts kind of return.

Lindberg is mostly a throw in. We got the VGK's best 2nd round pick next year, one that might be in the top 45 considering how badly Dallas struggles to make the playoffs.

My first reaction to the Stone trade.

Reasonably consistent with what I said in this thread about the Trouba trade and Jets not getting full value. I praised the Brannstrom return while criticizing the org' for digging a hole by putting themselves in a scenario where they were up against the clock with big 3 UFAs.

Jets put themselves in a position to deal from a position of weakness. They would have gotten a much greater return last year when they could have let things play out with dealing Trouba. That was probably justified given that they were a contender and he was one of their top defenders.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Isn't Pyatt a UFA? So it's just his rights. Guess the Sharks were less than pleased with Perron.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Guessing Pyatt might just be in there to balance out the contract numbers. Still kind of funny none the less.

Nice to see that Perron was in fact a throw in last year....

These two teams love exchanging former Sens prospect though, don't they? Dahlen? Perron?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille