Around the NHL XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Fenton had way too many stupid moves in a short period of time:

Drafting Johansson 1st round (wouldn't have touched him until the mid rounds at the earliest)
Granlund for Fiala
Niederreiter for Rask
Signing Zuccarello to a 30M/5YR deal when they should be rebuilding

Figured he'd be better at his job after being Poile's right-hand man for over a decade.

I agree with this but zucc is a very smart and determined player. While he doesn't fit a rebuild necessarily I could see him positively impacting prospects coming up. I think the other moves were much, much worse.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I am not sure to be honest. I am curious of how he would do when given a different direction from ownership. I mean the guy isn’t very good dealing with the media, but he’s a tough person to gauge as GM knowing the directions he has been given.

Personally I am not a big fan of the guy, but I could see him maybe lasting longer than a year on Minny

Also I am not sure why Fenton was fired. From that one bad trade? I haven’t heard anything so far.
Exactly my views as well. I don't like Dorion, but it's really too hard to get a picture given the circumstances. For his sake and for putting up with Melnyk's cash restraints, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance with a team not so worried about money.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Do you think Dorion's track record would have lasted this long had he been hired in Minnesota instead of Ottawa? I guess given year 1's success, he obviously gets past the 14 month mark, but I doubt he gets that 3 year extension...

The team had success in Dorion’s first year because he didn’t have enough time yet to dismantle his predecessor’s work. Just a few months after this success, the team went down a spiral and his boss decided that it was time (even though the core was young) to cut expenses. Dorion only got that extension because he was ready to act as the owner’s puppet and execute his cost cutting moves. I have not read the much the board much for a while but in many of the posts I read, I’m wondering why there is so much hesitation/confusion; we should all know what is happening by now (not talking about your post Mickle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad