Around the NHL XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
To be fair, by the time Ottawa makes the playoffs it may be a total of 3-5 years before Stone would get to play in the playoffs again had he stayed in Ottawa. I don't think this was a shot at the team. Vegas will be a playoff presumably team for years to come. Whereas in Ottawa he would be part of a rebuild.

We live in an age where every off hand comment is the next Watergate.

I bet Ottawa would have missed next year and then made it as a Wildcard if Stone had stayed around. It's so quick in this new NHL and teams are so close that with Ottawa's young players and prospects and picks and Stone (and Duchene), we would have been good and relatively quickly in my opinion.

But...yeah, that's life.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Waddell finding enough time to trade their upcoming college UFA during the playoffs, must be nice to be able to make things happen without a self imposed embargo and deadline.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Waddell actually did pretty well getting potentially two 2nds for a kid that wasn't going to sign with Carolina.

Hanifin and Lindholm for Hamilton, Ferland (UFA) and two 2nds still isn't a great deal, however.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Waddell finding enough time to trade their upcoming college UFA during the playoffs, must be nice to be able to make things happen without a self imposed embargo and deadline.
Pierre is a very busy guy. Doing his Pierre Dorion things. Whatever that may be.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pierre is a very busy guy. Doing his Pierre Dorion things. Whatever that may be.

I wanted to post that somewhere last night because it is a page out of the lolsens playbook. I could see Dorion saying that on TSN 1200.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I wanted to post that somewhere last night because it is a page out of the lolsens playbook. I could see Dorion saying that on TSN 1200.

I was in my hotel room in Blainville watching the draft in french with about 10 guys, two of which happened to be Giants fans, what a horrendous pick that was. The room was shocked. The only thing we all understood was "Daniel Jones".

They went with the Sens tested and true nepotism approach with that pick. (Sens do this everywhere outside of the draft)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

People need to start resigning themselves to the fact that "fighting in hockey" is not long for this world.

The more research we do into CTE and neurological side effects from sports, the harder it is going to be to promote tradition in the face of evidence-based science and hard facts.

I'm not saying it'll happen soon, but it's inevitable in the long run.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Laywers gonna lawyer. Even if he's corrected after the fact, the chances of that reaching broad public exposure, or the MP's ears who sit on the committee, or the official record etc etc are gone.

He's just playing the fighting withdrawal game. I wonder if they are quietly setting aside funds and contingencies for the inevitable lawsuit smackdown that's coming.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
People need to start resigning themselves to the fact that "fighting in hockey" is not long for this world.

The more research we do into CTE and neurological side effects from sports, the harder it is going to be to promote tradition in the face of evidence-based science and hard facts.

I agree fighting is coming to an end but the concussions caused by fights vs hits I think would be low.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

The players will start policing the game themselves in other, more dangerous ways if fighting is gone.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not gonna lie.. I love it but Hockey is barbaric in a lot of ways. 2 minutes for elbowing. 5 for fighting. The speed, the skill, the hits, the sometimes viciousness all blend to make it a fantastic sport and a fantastic fan event. Its a rough game.. The regular season can tease us into thinking its becoming more and more a non contact sport, but these playoffs have been absolutely fantastic for fast paced, hard hitting hockey with every bit of ice being contested. It's been great.

Marchand gives a love tap to the back of someone's head and the universe implodes ... this ; hey that's cool. Mano o mano , big boy hockey. Head shots like this should be heavily penalized to take them out of the game. This is more blatant than the open ice hit that gets studied in super slow mo ,. and some soccer mom says the head was the principle point of contact; could be completely accidental, but ...your suspended 3 games for it.... I wonder what the principle point of contact was here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree fighting is coming to an end but the concussions caused by fights vs hits I think would be low.

It's not that fighting is an epidemic.

Fighting is going to go first as a concession by the league to public and medical pressure in order to allow the game to remain as physical as it otherwise is.

Fighting will be the sacrificial lamb the league throws on the fire to placate the inevitable lawsuit and public pressure once science renders the risks of combat & contact sports as undeniable.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Well then get ready for a temporary era of more dangerous ways of policing the game... until that too is banned.

I don't get the whole need of "policing" in hockey. Do hockey players have such low respect for each other that they need deterrents to not do bad things? How come we don't have "enforcers" in NFL, Rugby, NBA or any other sport for that matter.

Reactions: DrEasy

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
2 minute double minor - blood has been drawn. Barbaric? Yes. Fighting won’t ever come out of hockey. It sells tickets.

As a species I’d argue we are devolving and becoming less intelligent. As a result, something like fighting in hockey will end up staying due to the will or apathy of the masses.

Should it come out of the game? Probably. But I still worry about someone trying to get even with another player. Either running them so hard into the boards or making such a large open ice hit that the end result will be a Pavelski like event or worse.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
2 minute double minor - blood has been drawn. Barbaric? Yes. Fighting won’t ever come out of hockey. It sells tickets.

As a species I’d argue we are devolving and becoming less intelligent. As a result, something like fighting in hockey will end up staying due to the will or apathy of the masses.

Should it come out of the game? Probably. But I still worry about someone trying to get even with another player. Either running them so hard into the boards or making such a large open ice hit that the end result will be a Pavelski like event or worse.

Please tell me more of this theory. So we may critique it.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Please tell me more of this theory. So we may critique it.

I mean not hockey related, but...

There’s a litany of reasons. The drastic growth of both human collective wealth and inequality. Pollution. Rising tendencies of isolationism and a general distrust of intellectualism.

Most scary for me is affirmation bias and the increase of smart devices has essentially reduced critical thinking to a point where it is becoming dangerous to our evolution.

We’re not too far gone yet. A reorganization and additional of investments in education and further regulations for internet search engines might sway the curve the other direction.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I mean not hockey related, but...

There’s a litany of reasons. The drastic growth of both human collective wealth and inequality. Pollution. Rising tendencies of isolationism and a general distrust of intellectualism.

Most scary for me is affirmation bias and the increase of smart devices has essentially reduced critical thinking to a point where it is becoming dangerous to our evolution.

We’re not too far gone yet. A reorganization and additional of investments in education and further regulations for internet search engines might sway the curve the other direction.

What’s odd about hockey fans is they are the most educated and wealthiest on average of the big 4 NA pro sports fans, so the critical thinking theory here would apply to the percentage of sports fans you’d think would see fighting as stupid and barbaric

Bettman defended fighting saying the players want it in the game which is a lie IMO, lots of players don’t want it like Alfie said during his career. The players didn’t want a cap, players want changes to payoff formatting, travel - Bettman doesn’t care about those things.

He should just have the sack to admit he like fighting because it makes money and he doesn’t care about the physical price the players pay because no sports league does. They are created not to entertain or advocate for the player pure form of the sport, but to make money for owners. And he doesn’t want to change anything because he NHL is making a lot of money and fighting is important to the brand. It’s been reduced, but he doesn’t want it out because it helps him sell the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad