OT: Around the NHL - Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
7.57 x 7 for those as dumb as me - that read likes a pretty fair deal to me. Fair dos to Guerin for getting that sorted quickly without going mad - and damn him for making the rental market less interesting.
He also signed Fiala to a decent 3m/yr contract for 2yrs.

I still think people have it wrong about Billy and I look forward to seeing him really put a stamp on the Wild. Unlike Botts. He didn't inherit a damn thing for talent, no Eichel, etc.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wow a whole 3 games for Kuzsnortsov?

The guy lied, then got caught, to me that's someone that deserves far more than 3 games.
Hes being suspended for lying to the NHL. I believe anything over 5 games he can grieve, and there is nothing in the CBA that really defines this. If the NHL had tried to be more harsh it would have been grieved and probably overturned.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hes being suspended for lying to the NHL. I believe anything over 5 games he can grieve, and there is nothing in the CBA that really defines this. If the NHL had tried to be more harsh it would have been grieved and probably overturned.
That's a joke of a rule to be honest.

A guy abuses the trust of his team and the league and then lies and gets caught and all they can do is give this piece of shit, 3 games because if they give him more, like he truly deserves, his snorting ass will grieve it and get it lessened.

Way to hold people accountable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He also signed Fiala to a decent 3m/yr contract for 2yrs.

I still think people have it wrong about Billy and I look forward to seeing him really put a stamp on the Wild. Unlike Botts. He didn't inherit a damn thing for talent, no Eichel, etc.

I missed that about Fiala, that's a strong start.

I think he and Botterill will be interesting contrasts - Botts has been given a strong core between Eichel and Dahlin, but with absolutely nothing to go around it; I think Minnesota have decent depth, but crap for a core. Will be fun to see which scenario ends up better.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I missed that about Fiala, that's a strong start.

I think he and Botterill will be interesting contrasts - Botts has been given a strong core between Eichel and Dahlin, but with absolutely nothing to go around it; I think Minnesota have decent depth, but crap for a core. Will be fun to see which scenario ends up better.
Botts botched the ROR deal and got back trash for a quality player then drafted a bunch of high pick players. He's hired a coach he recently fired, has no proper offensive depth but has slowly fixed his defense with Montour and the addition of Dahlin via being terrible.

Bill has to actually flex his muscle on this team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Botts botched the ROR deal and got back trash for a quality player then drafted a bunch of high pick players. He's hired a coach he recently fired, has no proper offensive depth but has slowly fixed his defense with Montour and the addition of Dahlin via being terrible.

ROR wanting out and ownership not wanting to pay his signing bonus left Botterill with no good choices there. And there's still a lot of work to be done given the Buffalo team he inherited. A lot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
ROR wanting out and ownership not wanting to pay his signing bonus left Botterill with no good choices there. And there's still a lot of work to be done given the Buffalo team he inherited. A lot.

I think acquiring Montour and Miller for nothing of real consequence and still getting a 1st, 2nd and Tage Thompson who was probably the 3rd best prospect for ROR was a pretty solid deal. Notice how from September to December nobody had a problem with the ROR deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Not really sure how Botts is to blame for the offensive depth. He acquired Skinner for nothing added Sheary for nothing and is slowly building that team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think acquiring Montour and Miller for nothing of real consequence and still getting a 1st, 2nd and Tage Thompson who was probably the 3rd best prospect for ROR was a pretty solid deal. Notice how from September to December nobody had a problem with the ROR deal.
Those are good deals for sure, but the rest of the garbage he got for ROR was just unfortunate as well as his coaching decision at the time and still not really addressing the depth issue on his forward group outside of getting Skinner.

The Defense though, I've been very vocal about him fixing that, that's a no brainer. But I still think he's had more to work with than Guerin has so far, Guerin took over a decimated Wild team, definitely a lot more work to do there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Those are good deals for sure, but the rest of the garbage he got for ROR was just unfortunate as well as his coaching decision at the time and still not really addressing the depth issue on his forward group outside of getting Skinner.

The Defense though, I've been very vocal about him fixing that, that's a no brainer. But I still think he's had more to work with than Guerin has so far, Guerin took over a decimated Wild team, definitely a lot more work to do there.

The “garbage” he got for ROR was a 1st, 2nd and highly touted prospect. Sobotka and Berglund were because ownership didn’t want to pay ROR’s bonus and St Louis would.

Botts was on record saying he was offered better packages following the bonus. Hard to fault a GM when his boss tied his hand. Kind of like Dorian in Ottawa.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
That's a joke of a rule to be honest.

A guy abuses the trust of his team and the league and then lies and gets caught and all they can do is give this piece of ****, 3 games because if they give him more, like he truly deserves, his snorting ass will grieve it and get it lessened.

Way to hold people accountable.
Oh I agree, there is precedent for a team to cancel his contract, the Kings did that to Richards, but good luck convincing the Caps to do this. I think the NHL knew their hands were tied. The Caps probably wanted nothing to happen and so did the NHLPA. Im curious how this might be changed in the new CBA.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh I agree, there is precedent for a team to cancel his contract, the Kings did that to Richards, but good luck convincing the Caps to do this. I think the NHL knew their hands were tied. The Caps probably wanted nothing to happen and so did the NHLPA. Im curious how this might be changed in the new CBA.
Its a joke how they treat it. Oh a slap on the wrist and go to some resort to clean up.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The “garbage” he got for ROR was a 1st, 2nd and highly touted prospect. Sobotka and Berglund were because ownership didn’t want to pay ROR’s bonus and St Louis would.

Botts was on record saying he was offered better packages following the bonus. Hard to fault a GM when his boss tied his hand. Kind of like Dorian in Ottawa.
Thanks tsn for telling me info I already knew about. You're arguing my thoughts on it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
McAvoy pulled a Werenski...new trend for top 4 D men RFAs I guess...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm a bit late on this:

7OYZXUA.png

Reactions: BHD

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

WOW.

What a deal for Boston.

And, truth be told, when the new CBA and TV contracts happen before this deal expires, it will turn out to be a hell of a deal for McAvoy in the long run.

In the meantime, he insures the hell out of himself to protect that next contract, in case, god forbid, something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad