OT: Around the NHL - Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah that seems crazy. He's not young, but 34 isn't that old and he's still a great player when healthy.
Maybe he showed up for testing over weight again. He might not have the desire to keep in shape for another 2 years. With the league moving towards a faster game, he might not be able to keep up.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
All of Cheveldayoffs lack of initiative is coming to a head in one offseason. Buff was a time bomb when he signed that big deal, Maurice was clearly alienating Laine, Trouba was dealt for nothing.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I respect Byfuglien's wishes, but the timing seems off... He's had all summer with (if you follow those close to the situation) next to no playing time.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Could be once he got to the official rink he thought "Do I really want to go through all this again?"

Could be. If he does retire though, that is...

Trouba (82 GP)
Myers (80 GP)
Chiarot (78 GP)
Byfuglien (42 GP)
Morrow (41 GP)

Gone. I can't remember a team seeing that much manpower leave in a single offseason.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Could be. If he does retire though, that is...

Trouba (82 GP)
Myers (80 GP)
Chiarot (78 GP)
Byfuglien (42 GP)
Morrow (41 GP)

Gone. I can't remember a team seeing that much manpower leave in a single offseason.

The weird thing is he lost a lot of those guys a while ago it seems. Myers, Trouba, etc all were gone well before this ever happened, so Chevy just sitting on his hands and now being f***ed was already going to happen well before Buff ever decided he needed time.

So weird and he is also dragging his feet on Connor and Laine. How do you go from spending to the cap to wanting to be a contender to shitting the bed that hard on your defense (multiple trade avenues open to acquire defensive help, etc) and still doing nothing even now. The Jets are not in some cap hell either.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Byfuglien Thing must be sudden, because, as you said, they lost a bunch of guys in the summer. Trouba forced the issue and Morrow isn't worth keeping (at least long-term). Myers, though, can still bring something to the ice.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Could be once he got to the official rink he thought "Do I really want to go through all this again?"

It could be that he didn’t feel healthy when he thought he would or tweaked something. I think we’re going to see more athletes walking away early. Now you have some bigger names doing it and there’s more talk about the quality of life others have had after retirement and later in life. The state of contact sports is going to be interesting a couple of decades from now.

Reactions: BHD

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This should be looked at by all.
Quite a few changes/tweaks.

We are so gonna get dinged for that helmet rule and i'd be wearing my helmet as loose as possible if it means more PP time with it simply falling off during a face wash.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Plus Laine and Connor are unsigned still.
Yeah, I mentioned that.

Chevy took a giant dump on his team this summer and some how, no one is calling his ass out in the media for that. His defense is a joke and he can't sign 2 guys he desperately needs and hasn't made any moves. Faulk has been available literally all summer and the guy lost 2 big names on D and hasn't done jack shit to fix it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If I am Botts, I am going after Ehlers for Risto and try to make that happen.

He's added Miller and Montour to his defense and has Dahlin, he's fine there, but his offensive depth is an epic joke outside of Shears, Eichel, Skinner, Mojo and Reinhart. Ehlers would be a huge add to that group.

I think the difference is about 600k, so a minor add like Wilson to the Jets or Larsson would get it sorted. Or a separate trade or demotion to the minors would do it.

It's weird that Chevy can't figure out a bridge contract that so many have done lately, like Boeser, etc. Give Connor a 2-3yr deal and get him locked up, then honestly if he has to deal Laine, just do it now instead waiting, because it's never going to be a long term thing for Laine, he wants out of the Jets and he'll get his way depending on his contract length, or otherwise.

Reactions: Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
NJD is going to be better than people think...lot of good players...even if they weren’t, they’ll get in their usual sweep of the Pens...

Yeah they’ll probably have our number and I don’t think they’ll be bad, but a lot of their success hinges on Hughes being strong right away and goaltending. Wouldn’t really be surprised with a variety of outcomes.

Yea, i'm watching as well.
Also McKegg > ZAR.
He's flying out there.

McKegg looks good but it’s pre-season and I’m not on the ZAR hate train, so nah he’s not better.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Watching NJD-NYR. Gusev looks absolutely sick. Kakko just OK. Panarin maybe hurt.
It kills me we didn't get Gusev, I know that kid is going to be f***ing good, real good. I might actually watch just as many Devils games as Pens games this season.

McKegg played in the Canes run last year with all their injuries.
He's a better player than he was when he was with us.
Weird how that works out.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

This explains why Panarin avoids contact at all costs. He would shatter into a million pieces if hit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not going to blame Chevy for failing to get Laine and Connor done when so many other teams don't have their RFAs done either.

But the work Winnipeg have done on their defence to date is pretty much inadequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad