OT: Around the NHL - Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
All these RFA's still without contracts at this point is nuts.
I'm..ok with it. For some, the contracts have gotten out of hand and teams are struggling to keep talent they've drafted and invested time in that want a huge ass pay day and have them having to more other talent they've put time into.

Some need a chin check. Others are just stuck because of the greedy f***ers.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hmmm... I probably go

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Reilly
Nylander

My knock on Matthews, even though he scores a ton of goals, is that he's like Stamkos in every other department. However, critiquing them (Matthews, Tavares, Marner) is like talking about sports cars. At the end of the day, any one of them would be sweet to have.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
My knock on Matthews, even though he scores a ton of goals, is that he's like Stamkos in every other department. However, critiquing them (Matthews, Tavares, Marner) is like talking about sports cars. At the end of the day, any one of them would be sweet to have.

Yeah I think all 3 are on the same tier and close enough to where the “who is better” argument is best judged game-by-game.

Tavares is better on the walls but my take on Matthews is that given health; if he was like any other young superstar 1C (McDavid, Stamkos, Tavares, Malkin, Crosby and so on) and getting 20+ min, best teammates, heavy PP time, being more of a focal point, etc.... his raw output would be ridiculous imo. Especially his goal scoring. He’s so absurdly talented.

Just never seen a guy pot goals with the apparent ease he does.

Reactions: BHD

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's good they got him signed for 6 years, but he's not worth 7 mill IMO. He's good, but not 7 mill good. Maybe finds that next level in his game in the next couple of years.

Could just be me, but he doesn't seem to stand out when we play them. I notice more of Ghost when we play them

Yeah I agree. He seems to move the puck okay and flash some talent/offense but I feel like we completely eat him alive every time we play them. He’s just not a noticeable guy.

Still, he’s not a bad player. He’s treaded water in a 1D role without much help. Just think if he was truly a top level guy he would have probably excelled by now despite the circumstances.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Overpaid but good to get it done and with term imo.

Their whole core's a tad overpaid really - guess I don't blame Marner for not wanting to be the one who wasn't. Guess it'll look okay in a few years as it becomes the new normal but right now it feels like that cap burden might be a bit difficult in terms of getting round for having the depth to be a real contender. They're gonna have to hope the kids come through real good next year if they want to replicate the effects of Muzzin and Barrie for 6.5m on their blue line again (even allowing for having Ceci's money to do it)

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
if I’m Toronto ideally it’s

Nylander 6.9 for 6
Matthews 10 for 5
Marner 9 for 6

But I guess the Tavares contract pushed Matthews to the 11 range which pushed Marner higher too. I think Nylanders deal is fine.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

7.57 x 7 for those as dumb as me - that read likes a pretty fair deal to me. Fair dos to Guerin for getting that sorted quickly without going mad - and damn him for making the rental market less interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->