Series Talk: Around the NHL - Playoff edition as Round #1 kicks off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Puzzles me how so many around here have some sort of disdain for the Islanders and their success. Think it stems from insecurity on the difference on how the Leafs play compared to them, and Lamoriello/Dubas angle as well.

Honestly love that team and how they play.

Then again, I've always been a believer in the heavier style of game. Not a coincidence my favorite cup winners of the previous decade are Kings, Bruins, and Blues.
Could be that, could be the absolute fit the majority of their board threw when JT signed and then a large part of their fanbase actively chasing down anything Leafs to shit on at every opportunity. Then you could add the internal Leafs trolls who seem giddy with their success as some sort of "proof" that LouLam was the secret ingredient.

Definitely one of the two

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Could be that, could be the absolute fit the majority of their board threw when JT signed and then a large part of their fanbase actively chasing down anything Leafs to shit on at every opportunity. Then you could add the internal Leafs trolls who seem giddy with their success as some sort of "proof" that LouLam was the secret ingredient.

Definitely one of the two
When the Islanders won last night he just had to post how both Komarov and Martin scored 2/3 of their goals.

He also posts each time Kadri has scored and the Avalanche have won. However tonight I was able say this to him and give him a taste of his own medicine.

Kadri vs Tavares, contracts and ramifications included

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The Lamoriello Islanders need to get knocked out sooner than later. It’s a cool story but I really don’t want to see their brand of hockey be a model for many other teams. The grit grinder model is fun to watch for only so long.
Imagine if the whole league played the way the Leafs do. There wouldn't be a 2nd round of the playoffs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Personally speaking I can't stand their fans and a certain ex Leafs fan on these boards who only became an Islanders fan once John Tavares decided to sign in Toronto.

Plus there is the hypocrisy because when Lou Lamoriello was the Leafs GM he referred to him as too old and bashed the Matt Martin signing. However once Lou went to the Islanders he is now one of the best minds in the NHL and made a great move trading for Matt Martin.
Should we thank Lou and Islanders for him trading teams or else we have to continue to see his takes here.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Dallas was #2 best in goals against in the regular season and you know the saying "Defense Wins".
Dallas has the worst GA/G this playoff of any active team. They've allowed 3 or more goals in 7 of their 10 "series" games

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Should we thank Lou and Islanders for him trading teams or else we have to continue to see his takes here.
Since Mike Babcock had made Martin a healthy scratch why wouldn't Dubas have traded him. The only reason Lou agreed to trade for him is because he had a history of brining back players who use to play for him when was the Devils GM. He did the same thing in Toronto. During the 2015-16 season he traded Roman Polak to San Jose and brought him back as a UFA in the same offseason.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Since Mike Babcock had made Martin a healthy scratch why wouldn't Dubas have traded him. The only reason Lou agreed to trade for him is because he had a history of brining back players who use to play for him when was the Devils GM. He did the same thing in Toronto. During the 2015-16 season he traded Roman Polak to San Jose and brought him back as a UFA in the same offseason.
But Babcock was wrong on everything, was to be blamed for everything. Dubas should've known if Babcock scratched him, then he's a good player.

Plus Kyle didn't seem overly bothered in trying to find players that Mike liked. That's how we ended up with Petan, Barrie and co.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Crazy how many pucks have trickled through Flyers goalies this series.

Still don't love Provorov, that's a horrid read by him

Philly's done. That's series IMO.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
But Babcock was wrong on everything, was to be blamed for everything. Dubas should've known if Babcock scratched him, then he's a good player.

Plus Kyle didn't seem overly bothered in trying to find players that Mike liked. That's how we ended up with Petan, Barrie and co.
If the coach is making the calls on player personnel, that would be asinine.
He had to take away Babcock's toys. Period.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Puzzles me how so many around here have some sort of disdain for the Islanders and their success. Think it stems from insecurity on the difference on how the Leafs play compared to them, and Lamoriello/Dubas angle as well.

Honestly love that team and how they play.

Then again, I've always been a believer in the heavier style of game. Not a coincidence my favorite cup winners of the previous decade are Kings, Bruins, and Blues.

I find they're sort of like a modern version of the Pat Burns Leafs. Very hardworking group of grinders, a little bit of scoring punch, and a no name blueline that plays way above the sum of its parts, maybe not as dramatic goaltending as we had though. But while I like the storyline and admire a lot of aspects of their team, I don't want them having that much success that the copy cat league starts churning out Islander clones and we have another Dead Puck Era on our hands. I think the Leafs recipe is not right at the moment but would like to see them win it all in the fashion of the Detroit Red Wings.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Giroux's become quite invisible in the playoffs. His last 24 playoff games he has been bad offensively: only 1 goal and 8 assist ... Couturier's only gotten 1 goal this postseason too.

Also, the highly regarded (around here) Konency has 0 goals and 4 assists in 12 games .. Actually only 1 goal and 5 points in 18 playoff games.

That's 1 goal from 3 of their top 4 regular season scorers in 12+ games.

That's bad.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If the coach is making the calls on player personnel, that would be asinine.
He had to take away Babcock's toys. Period.
Agreed. I think he got rid of some of Lou's/Mike's boys out of spite. That generally coincided with the timeline of the team's regression in points. Hopefully management has learned something watching these playoffs and make the necessary adjustments.

First easy peasy change i can see is to stop this "keep possession at all costs" directive to the players. Haven't seen another team skate towards their own net as often as we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad