Series Talk: Around the NHL - Playoff edition as Round #1 kicks off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I find they're sort of like a modern version of the Pat Burns Leafs. Very hardworking group of grinders, a little bit of scoring punch, and a no name blueline that plays way above the sum of its parts, maybe not as dramatic goaltending as we had though. But while I like the storyline and admire a lot of aspects of their team, I don't want them having that much success that the copy cat league starts churning out Islander clones and we have another Dead Puck Era on our hands. I think the Leafs recipe is not right at the moment but would like to see them win it all in the fashion of the Detroit Red Wings.

Interesting you view those years in that vein. Considering they're pretty unanimously considered the best of the last 50 years. I never saw them, before my time unfortunately, so can't comment.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
To be honest, i find the Islanders just fine to watch. It's admirable watching a team with a system and sticking to said system. For total chaos I like watching the neighbours play pond hockey. I get annoyed when a team getting paid about 82mil do it though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Interesting you view those years in that vein. Considering they're pretty unanimously considered the best of the last 50 years. I never saw them, before my time unfortunately, so can't comment.

The 1992-93 team is probably most loved but the Quinn teams were generally more competitive for longer with an arguably higher talent level.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Philly doesn't deserve to win this series by any stretch, but I'd be pretty pissed with that botched icing call and a few missed interference plays led to the final 2 goals.

Then Provorov being terrible defensively, but he did get one back with the floater from the Blueline.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gilman and Mark Hunter apparently interviewed for the Florida GM gig. Though there were several others who did too like Futa (poor guy seems to do so every GM opening and never gets it)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Flyers are paying JVR $7 million and he doesn't have a point in the playoffs.

What a bad deal that was from day 1.
They have some brutal contracts. Hayes isn't worth $7+ either and Voracek still has a 4 years left at 8.25. Both are good players, but not that good

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think the Islanders defense is underrated.
Most people think they have a great D, but likely don't have that stand-out #1D. They have a bunch of guys who are solid #2/3 types and everyone can hold their own in all situations.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Flyers have checked out since period 2 of game 1 versus habs.

Bolts/Bruins will put Isles in their place.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Most people think they have a great D, but likely don't have that stand-out #1D. They have a bunch of guys who are solid #2/3 types and everyone can hold their own in all situations.
I haven't heard the great D part that much, but maybe I've just missed that. The opinion that they have good structure & team D is something I have heard frequently. I would agree that they don't have that stud defender.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I really like watching Vegas play.

A nice blend of speed, skill, size/physicality, and solid defensive play.

I've hated them for so long (because an expansion team shouldn't be this good this soon :laugh:) but they play such a good game.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gilman and Mark Hunter apparently interviewed for the Florida GM gig. Though there were several others who did too like Futa (poor guy seems to do so every GM opening and never gets it)

John Ferguson Jr. also interviewing for the job. Incoming Spencer Knight for trash?

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad