Around the NHL (Part XLIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Wow. This was extraordinarily sad.

I know that was definitely the thing I took home with me most from that day. Also I always found it interesting that Graves was the person to bring the story up and not any of the couple of fans that were at the lunch. I do think the organization under Clarke have done a nice job of finding legitimate talent. Just hope one of these picks turn into a first-liner one of these days.

SupersonicMonkey*

Cherepanov wasn't a center. He was a right winger.

He had unreal amounts of talent. Used to watch streams of Omsk games just to watch him and Jagr together.

Great talent. Great kid. Heartbreaking.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Set us back 3-4 years IMO.

He probably would've been the team's 1st line center based on his past pedigree and assuming he continued to progress. There wouldn't have been a need to sign Brad Richards and the team could've started contending in 09-10 as opposed to 11-12 based on having a 1C, the most valued position in hockey.

He was a winger, but I agree either way. Cherry would've been a dynamic player in the league. Definitely set the org. back a few years when he passed.

Such a shame he died so young, even if his condition wouldn't have let him play hockey. Just upsetting.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Sanguinetti looked awful on that goal. Guy is a nice skater and good with the puck but defensively is a real liability.

Kershaw

Cherepanov was a right winger

Cherepanov wasn't a center. He was a right winger.

He had unreal amounts of talent. Used to watch streams of Omsk games just to watch him and Jagr together.

Great talent. Great kid. Heartbreaking.

He was a winger, but I agree either way. Cherry would've been a dynamic player in the league. Definitely set the org. back a few years when he passed.

Such a shame he died so young, even if his condition wouldn't have let him play hockey. Just upsetting.

I stand corrected, thanks.

Say if Chere became a 1RW like he was projected to, does that change the Rangers interest in 2009 FA? They signed Gaborik (RW), but the Sedins were available during FA period and they had the capspace.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
2 of the weakest goals you'll see in a matter of seconds. I can't believe this guy won a cup.

Cam Ward reminds me of Richter. Decent to very good on most nights. The occasional bad one. But when he turns it on, there aren't many better. And that's how he, how both of them, won a Cup.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Brown_(ice_hockey)

Interesting. Played with Mario that season, and never had anything close to that kind of production against.

Also didn't know that "Down Goes Brown" came from him.

The guy clearly had an enormous amount of talent. The quality of the IHL in the 90s was better than the the quality of the AHL today (in my opinion) and he put up massive point totals there. But for some reason, he could never sustain the production in the NHL.

Drewbackatu*

Might have told this story on here before, not sure. Anyways, had a chance to speak with Adam Graves at a Ranger provided lunch-in a couple years ago. This was the season after Cherepanov passed away, when it looked like we were going to be stuck with Gomez, Redden, and Drury as our core. He spoke about how hard it is to get a franchise player in the draft, unless you pick 1st overall. He brought up how Cherepanov was viewed as a franchise player by the organization. He also mentioned how much Alexei wanted to be a Ranger. Graves said when the organization went to Russia to pay their respects to his mother, she took them into his room and the only thing he had in there, was his Ranger draft jersey hanging on the wall.

While it has certainly been frustrating with our lack of offensive forwards over the past 15 years or so, I do believe Cherepanov was a huge loss for this organization.

Remember watching that draft and holding my breath as Cheri dropped right into our laps because all the other franchises were afraid of the transfer fee issue.
By all accounts, Cheri was a special talent who would have made a tremendous difference for us.

The whole situation was really tragic and very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad