Around the NHL (Part XLIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Filatov was barely 160 lbs soaking wet. Cherepanov also worked his ass off and from what I've read Filatov didn't have the same drive or goal scoring ability. Filatov was supposed to be good but if you asked me after the 2008 draft who I'd take I'd take Cherepanov easily.

You're right though, nothing is guaranteed.

I feel like ever since his death his stock has gone up. I remember there were questions in his season after we drafted him. IIRC he didn't have a super consistent WJC either (though I thought I remembered him winning player of the game once, or maybe that was Sangs).

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I feel like ever since his death his stock has gone up. I remember there were questions in his season after we drafted him. IIRC he didn't have a super consistent WJC either (though I thought I remembered him winning player of the game once, or maybe that was Sangs).

For some people, sure. That's how people wanted Alexei to be remembered, as a future All Star and elite Ranger who was taken from us too soon. But I do think that would've been the case. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Not sure if this is posted yet, but the Leafs Ben Scrivens now has 2 shutout's in a row...

Hasn't allowed a goal in 142 mins...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For some people, sure. That's how people wanted Alexei to be remembered, as a future All Star and elite Ranger who was taken from us too soon. But I do think that would've been the case. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Maybe it's terrible, but part of me hopes he would have busted. Losing a guy that could have been an All Star is painful on many levels (not only hockey related).

Jan 8, 2012
NY
We've already had one for Reimer :shakehead

Then the Leafs obviously have two Vezina candidates in net. They might have to share the award between themselves this year.

I wonder if they would trade those two amazing goalies for Henrik and Marty. We would probably have to add though...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wasn't Filatov supposed to be even better than him? Look what happened.

Not.A.Chance. ;)

Nah but seriously, I don't know how many scouts were fooled by him or if it was just Columbus (and some don't always seem to be aware that Filatov actually did drop to 6 in a somewhat half weak draft; great players were picked after him but there were like what, 15 busts as big as him in that first round), but the writing was on the wall with this kid.

This is what I wrote of him before he even started to struggle in CBJ (I am not sure if he even had played in the NHL at the time):
I've always seen Filatov as nothing but a huge project. Extremely fleet skating so to speak but really not much more.

But I remember seeing a 17 y/o Pavel Bure, and he actually looked allot like Fila does now back then. But for every player like Bure who takes that steps goes like 50 Filatov's.

Anyway, that was a bit OT, Filatov really needs to pin down allot of things before he can start contributing in the NHL.

There were all kind of concerns as regards Cherepanov. But his last season Cherepanov really broke through, put it all together, and played extremely well in the KHL. I made several posts with that exact same content before his accident, and I was pretty suspect of Chere's play before that season.

And I take a player type like Cherepanov 10 out of 10 times over a Filatov. Cherepanov had like the instincts of Brad Richards and the physical ability of say Voracek. Fila is and was a extreme breakaway floater. He could look like Bure II against weaker competition -- but there is extremely little room for a player like that in the NHL. He isn't 75% as talented as Gabby, but exactly the same player type. And Gabby disappears for long stretches as it is. People always go after a player like Filatov's honor and tear appart his attitude, which also was horrible in this case, but he just did not have the conditions to succed before he got to the NHL and when you play x games and realize that you have no business in the league you are playing, its also very easy to loose controll of your attitude so to speak. Had Fila come in and scored 35 goals his rookie year, for all we know he could have been a perfect citizen in CBJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad