Around the NHL (Part XLIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bob Richards*

The Habs just have our number. I don't even feel confident if we have a 5-0 lead.

Please don't bring that up. If I could trace all my mental problems and quirks to one specific moment, it would be that.

Kershaw

Too bad the end of Vinny's career is with the league's bottomfeeders. No cup.

Drewbackatu*

BDatLo5CEAApjKp.png:large

Just picked this Gem up from the Av's board. :biglaugh:

Really makes you wonder what these linesmen are looking(or not looking) at!

Drewbackatu*

Because we've never sucked hard enough to have it hand delivered, signed and sealed for?

Even if we did suck hard enough, our hierachy probably would have screwed up a high 1st round pick anyway. Btw, Staal was picked at #12 I believe.

Kershaw

The worst part about it is their lack of courage to correct the mistake. Awful call, game changing and infuriating even though I don't give a **** about who wins that game.

I wish I could get paid for constantly botching up during integral moments of my job and getting off scott free.

If my kid doesn't work out as a pro hockey player, he'll be a ref instead. Just want the best for 'em.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
Best guess is he blinked at the exact wrong moment :dunno:

It was pretty funny. I saw the puck go offside, so I got up to get a glass of water, and I just hear "GOOOAAALLL" behind me. Hilarious that it ended up being a 1-goal game.

Kershaw

Turns out Chico isn't a Devils fan, he's just mentally challenged

LOL.

How did I ever miss that.

What Chico sees:
LOoK aT EliAs FEROCIOUSLY forechecking!!!111!!!

What's actually happening:
Elias lays the puck in softly and skates towards MTL defender

What Chico sees:
The Devils don't trap, look how aggressive they are!!!

What's actually happening:
NJ conservatively traps the opposition by playing ping pong with each other in their own end.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Man, watching the Ducks stream right now, and I gotta say from looking at the view from outside the Honda Center, it must be really nice to go outside in shorts and a t-shirt after the game is over and relax in nice warm weather :(

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I stand corrected, thanks.

Say if Chere became a 1RW like he was projected to, does that change the Rangers interest in 2009 FA? They signed Gaborik (RW), but the Sedins were available during FA period and they had the capspace.
It might, but likely not. Cherry would've been on his ELC and we still would have likely been players for Gaborik with Cherry slotted at 2nd line RW With last year's team including Cherepanov I'm confident we end up as cup champs. A lot of draft picks we make can be questioned in terms of true potential (Plenty of overrating of guys like Grachev, Bourque, McIlrath) but the luck we had with Cherepanov falling into our laps was amazing at the time. I'm confident that he would have been a 90 point player.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It might, but likely not. Cherry would've been on his ELC and we still would have likely been players for Gaborik with Cherry slotted at 2nd line RW With last year's team including Cherepanov I'm confident we end up as cup champs. A lot of draft picks we make can be questioned in terms of true potential (Plenty of overrating of guys like Grachev, Bourque, McIlrath) but the luck we had with Cherepanov falling into our laps was amazing at the time. I'm confident that he would have been a 90 point player.

Wasn't Filatov supposed to be even better than him? Look what happened.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I mean, to acquire talent like Stamkos or Crosby or Malkin would be incredible but I just don't think I can stomach the season required to make those possible.

I feel the same way. I was 4 when the Rangers won the cup, so my formidable years as a fan were the dark years of no playoffs. That means all the games I went to as a kid and I watched EVERY SINGLE GAME ON TV RELIGIOUSLY were the teams that were constantly missing the playoffs. BUT they were always somewhat competitive, which made losing the playoffs not sting AS much because there was always a slight chance.

I know players like Malkin and Crosby are amazing and everything, but tanking and drafting a crazy talent at 1st overall isn't the ONLY way to success. Sometimes I wonder about posters on here who seem to think that is the only way to build a team. Saying that we need that homegrown superstar (ignoring Hank who is a top 10 player of any position in the league).

Perhaps people forget that (one of) the most beloved player in our team's history, Mark Messier, was a trade whom was already a "homegrown star" for another franchise. He was also on the other side of 30 when we got him. (Also, Graves wasn't homegrown either.) Messier went on to lead our team to a few solid years, and eventually the Cup. Meanwhile, people complain about Brad Richards being on the other side of 30, Gaborik being a non-homegrown star and Nash taking a big trade to get here (all three of those things can be applied to Messier).

Idk I guess that was a disjointed ramble of a post, but maybe someone will catch my drift.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Wasn't Filatov supposed to be even better than him? Look what happened.

Filatov was barely 160 lbs soaking wet. Cherepanov also worked his ass off and from what I've read Filatov didn't have the same drive or goal scoring ability. Filatov was supposed to be good but if you asked me after the 2008 draft who I'd take I'd take Cherepanov easily.

You're right though, nothing is guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad