Around the NHL (Part XLIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorado*

We have never been terrible enough to acquire such a high pick. Also, 100 pt players don't grow on trees as evident by the fact that only 2 of the 5 players you listed ever reached that mark.

True . I should say a PPG player then .

*Bob Richards*

I mean, to acquire talent like Stamkos or Crosby or Malkin would be incredible but I just don't think I can stomach the season required to make those possible.

Dorado*

I mean, to acquire talent like Stamkos or Crosby or Malkin would be incredible but I just don't think I can stomach the season required to make those possible.
Those 7 missed PO were awful is all I'm saying .

Kershaw

Of course, but we still got our core players from those 7 miserable years. Jagr nearly won the Hart Trophy and put up the most dominant season by a Ranger ever. We traded him for him in return for a grinder. We drafted the best goalie in the world, our captain, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal,

*Bob Richards*

The Rangers are a special type of curse. Unlike the Penguins, who were an atrocity on ice and could get those top-3 picks year in and out, the Rangers were just.....mediocre. Just good enough to place out of a good pick and just bad enough to miss the playoffs.

Sports purgatory.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers are a special type of curse. Unlike the Penguins, who were an atrocity on ice and could get those top-3 picks year in and out, the Rangers were just.....mediocre. Just good enough to place out of a good pick and just bad enough to miss the playoffs.

Sports purgatory.

Weren't you like 10 at the oldest during those years? :laugh:

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Might have told this story on here before, not sure. Anyways, had a chance to speak with Adam Graves at a Ranger provided lunch-in a couple years ago. This was the season after Cherepanov passed away, when it looked like we were going to be stuck with Gomez, Redden, and Drury as our core. He spoke about how hard it is to get a franchise player in the draft, unless you pick 1st overall. He brought up how Cherepanov was viewed as a franchise player by the organization. He also mentioned how much Alexei wanted to be a Ranger. Graves said when the organization went to Russia to pay their respects to his mother, she took them into his room and the only thing he had in there, was his Ranger draft jersey hanging on the wall.

While it has certainly been frustrating with our lack of offensive forwards over the past 15 years or so, I do believe Cherepanov was a huge loss for this organization.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Might have told this story on here before, not sure. Anyways, had a chance to speak with Adam Graves at a Ranger provided lunch-in a couple years ago. This was the season after Cherepanov passed away, when it looked like we were going to be stuck with Gomez, Redden, and Drury as our core. He spoke about how hard it is to get a franchise player in the draft, unless you pick 1st overall. He brought up how Cherepanov was viewed as a franchise player by the organization. He also mentioned how much Alexei wanted to be a Ranger. Graves said when the organization went to Russia to pay their respects to his mother, she took them into his room and the only thing he had in there, was his Ranger draft jersey hanging on the wall.

While it has certainly been frustrating with our lack of offensive forwards over the past 15 years or so, I do believe Cherepanov was a huge loss for this organization.

Dude you're going to make me cry. :cry:

*Bob Richards*

Wow. This was extraordinarily sad.

*Bob Richards*

I'm showing my age...Jean Ratelle 109 pts in 63 games 1971-72 & our first 50 goal scorer Captain Vic Hadfield who done it with 106 in the same year . Rod Gilbert twice had 97 ...close but no cigar .

I'll show my age. The only 100 point season I've seen from a Ranger was Jagr in 05-06.

Dorado*

I'm showing my age...Jean Ratelle 109 pts in 63 games 1971-72 & our first 50 goal scorer Captain Vic Hadfield who done it with 106 in the same year . Rod Gilbert twice had 97 ...close but no cigar .

Yes it's been a long time

Dorado*

I've seen Jagr ( not home grown obviously )
Leetch
Mike Rogers I believe did it or was close

Kershaw

Losing Cherry was absolutely devastating to the organization.

Set us back 3-4 years IMO.

He probably would've been the team's 1st line center based on his past pedigree and assuming he continued to progress. There wouldn't have been a need to sign Brad Richards and the team could've started contending in 09-10 as opposed to 11-12 based on having a 1C, the most valued position in hockey.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
How many Cup winners in the last decade have had a player reach 100 points?

The 09 Pens had two. The 08 Wings had two players who came close. Selanne had 94 in 2007. Eric Staal had exactly 100 in 2006 for the Canes, in what was a year where lots of players set their career highs.

More recently, Pat Kane led the Hawks with 88 points in 2010. Krejci and Lucic both had 62 points to lead the 2011 Bruins, and Kopitar had 76 points for the Kings last year, although that team had major scoring problems in the regular season, and scored pretty much at will in the playoffs.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012

What? You don't want to alienate the fanbase and have the team be threatened with relocation just to get a generational talent?

How selfish of you.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Set us back 3-4 years IMO.

He probably would've been the team's 1st line center based on his past pedigree and assuming he continued to progress. There wouldn't have been a need to sign Brad Richards and the team could've started contending in 09-10 as opposed to 11-12 based on having a 1C, the most valued position in hockey.

Cherepanov was a right winger

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I knew Colton Orr was terrible at everything but fighting still they just said that he has 12 career goals. That's in 393 career games. I can't fathom an NHL defenseman having that type of "productivity". Also has 10 goals. So seems like he's more of a sniper than playmaker. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad