Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
"A mistake"

See, I'm all for forgiving, "a mistake".

Yet, here was are, talking about a kid who repeatedly abused a mentally challenge kid, physically and emotionally, with racial slurs, making him eat candy rubbed in a urinal, at such a crap level... for YEARS. Showed no remorse, no apology, and then continued to do it, for two more years, after pleading guilty. Repeated behaviour such as this, for years, and years... isn't a "mistake".

He's a kid. Simple as that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"A mistake"

See, I'm all for forgiving, "a mistake".

Yet, here was are, talking about a kid who repeatedly abused a mentally challenge kid, physically and emotionally, with racial slurs, making him eat candy rubbed in a urinal, at such a crap level... for YEARS. Showed no remorse, no apology, and then continued to do it, for two more years, after pleading guilty. Repeated behaviour such as this, for years, and years... isn't a "mistake".
Kid needs help no doubt.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Marchand and Pastrnak had surgery and will both miss a few months.

Tampa's in cap hell and will probably lose a key piece or two.

We're in a good place in the Atlantic - although there may be a Canadian division next year.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Someone, who acts like this, from 10-16 habitually, and you write it off as, just a kid? I mean, that's just sad from so many angles.

No, you're writing off someone, who at 10-16 is an immature kid. So much growth a person still to be done. Yet you want to write them off for life now.

I experience all manners of life in my job. good, bad and very, very ugly. What I witness more than anything else, is someone instantly be judged from poor behaviour as a kids, be labelled as such and then self-fulfiling prophecy in action.

kids do stupid shit, it should not define them forever, especially not because their error is currently in vogue with how society has currently decided to vilify people.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No, you're writing off someone, who at 10-16 is an immature kid. So much growth a person still to be done. Yet you want to write them off for life now.

I experience all manners of life in my job. good, bad and very, very ugly. What I witness more than anything else, is someone instantly be judged from poor behaviour as a kids, be labelled as such and then self-fulfiling prophecy in action.

kids do stupid shit, it should not define them forever, especially not because their error is currently in vogue with how society has currently decided to vilify people.

because their error is currently in vogue, with how society has currently decided to vilify people? Sure, abuse, bashing the kids head against the wall for years, racial taunts, making people eat candy dipped in urinals, I mean that was free game back when you were a kid right? Oh, those good old days!!

You know, this kid has something wrong with him, and anybody who has looked at this, and defends him in this manner.. about the same.

Reactions: klmdg

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
because their error is currently in vogue, with how society has currently decided to vilify people? Sure, abuse, bashing the kids head against the wall for years, racial taunts, making people eat candy dipped in urinals, I mean that was free game back when you were a kid right?

You know, this kid has something wrong with him, and anybody who has looked at this, and defends him.. about the same.

Okay chap.

I wouldn't want to be your kid, that's for sure.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

I think a lot of this is a failure of parents, teachers and the legal system, in addition to Miller. I definitely don't think the handling of this is conducive to rehabilitation. Certainty of punishment, is a greater deterrent of undesirable behaviour than severity of punishment and severe punishment is more likely to increase recidivism than decrease it. Removing him from the situation that contributed towards/appeased his behaviour would likely result in a better adult. Shutting avenues for personal growth is likely to galvanize the behaviour and make them a finished product.

Sheldon Keefe is a good redemption story because he was afforded avenues for growth. Otherwise, he's probably a convict right now.

I wouldn't have personally drafted the kid, but I'd rather see him succeed than fail as a person, if not as a player.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
No, the kid he bullied was just a kid...simple as that. He is a douche and I fully support what karma is serving him right now.

Kids who bully have often been bullied and full of issues and insecurities of their own. Often with issues at home too.

Doing something wrong is deserving of relative punishment. Doing something wrong as a kid isn't deserving of being written off in your adult life.

Man, i'd hate to be a kid growing up today. Second chances don't exist anymore.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
PHN Off the Record: Could Fans Unclog Trade Market? - Pittsburgh Hockey Now

The OTR comments are not “news” as much as they are context. They’re chatter or gossip.

Off the record…

*The name Dale Tallon was immediately mentioned as a potential AGM or hockey operations advisor for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Outside the organization, there was real speculation. Tallon and Rutherford are thought to be close, but there is a problem.

Tallon was fired as the Florida Panthers GM after the NHL postseason following another disappointing Florida exit and an accusation that Tallon used a racial slur inside the NHL bubble in Toronto. The allegation was the first against Tallon and the following NHL investigation findings were not made public.

Off the record comment from a hockey professional familiar with the Penguins organization: “I don’t know what’s going on (with the changes) — I think (Rutherford) will hire Tallon.”

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Kids who bully have often been bullied and full of issues and insecurities of their own. Often with issues at home too.

Doing something wrong is deserving of relative punishment. Doing something wrong as a kid isn't deserving of being written off in your adult life.

Man, i'd hate to be a kid growing up today. Second chances don't exist anymore.
Going to bat for a racist bully...not a good look.

Mitch Miller isnt a victim like you're trying to make him.

Last edited:

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
So because he's a kid he deserves this to be forgotten? If it had been a one-time incident in which he learned from it and became a better person for it, then sure, being a "kid" can be used as an excuse. He didn't know better. But if this was constantly addressed and the "kid" was talked to multiple times and he still never changed his behavior, then he deserves to have the hockey future taken away at this point. That behavior shouldn't be forgiven or forgotten for a long time. If this kid can manage to have personal growth and become a better person for it 10 years down the line, then I can start to say he should be forgiven. The problem is, as many other people have said, he hasn't done that yet...

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
So because he's a kid he deserves this to be forgotten? If it had been a one-time incident in which he learned from it and became a better person for it, then sure, being a "kid" can be used as an excuse. He didn't know better. But if this was constantly addressed and the "kid" was talked to multiple times and he still never changed his behavior, then he deserves to have the hockey future taken away at this point. That behavior shouldn't be forgiven or forgotten for a long time. If this kid can manage to have personal growth and become a better person for it 10 years down the line, then I can start to say he should be forgiven. The problem is, as many other people have said, he hasn't done that yet...

10yrs punished for making mistakes as a young teenager.

Jesus.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Jesus.
I think you have to differentiate between this ruining his chance at an NHL career versus this having an impact on his life past school. He can still carve out a good career in a different field or even play professionally in europe where teams are much more lenient and less caring about his NA issues. He did something wrong and professional franchises and NCAA programs don't want to associate with that negative press. These organizations care about their brand image and how they appeal to their fan bases because that's who pays their bills at the end of the day. They're not going to go out of their way to provide rehabilitation for a kid that's not their problem.

Heck, look at the Leafs and Bracco. Bracco was a stud prospect for us and had a definite NHL future on this team as soon as this upcoming season but because of the allegations about hazing and drug use in juniors, he was essentially banished for the past year. No one heard a single peep about where he was and not one person within the organization even uttered his name. He walked as a non-tendered UFA and signed with a lesser known franchise in Carolina but I doubt if the rumors of his allegations were to be true that he sees NHL ice in any capacity.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Jesus.

When a victim needs an STD screen, it's a very serious crime.

To term this as bullying or a mistake is an act in minimizing what actually happened.

Reactions: klmdg

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016

14yos who display such cruelty and lack of empathy become full blown psychopaths in adulthood. That be where that 1% of the adult human population comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln