Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Really thought Vegas would steamroll Dallas.

Dallas was #2 overall in best Goals against on the season and in this series they returned to the their strength and their roots.

Down 3-1 to Stars, Golden Knights vow series 'is a long way from over'

With a suffocating defense and clutch goaltending, the Dallas Stars are one win away from advancing to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 2000. But the Vegas Golden Knights vowed that the Western Conference finals are "a long way from over" following their 2-1 loss in Game 4 on Saturday night.

Down 3-1, Knights say, 'We've been here before'

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Surprised there isn’t any discussion on the GM of the Year award.
I can see why Dubas fans wouldn’t want the subject brought up but I think Leaf fans would have some thoughts on it.
I think Sakic was more deserving but no denying the remarkable job Lou Lam did.
Haven’t seen the results but I’m guessing it must have been close. Did Dubas receive any votes?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can see why Dubas fans wouldn’t want the subject brought up but I think Leaf fans would have some thoughts on it.
Haven’t seen the results but I’m guessing it must have been close. Did Dubas receive any votes?

1j7ebmqh6tm51.png

Joe Sakic finished 4th in the balloting.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Dubas certainly didnt deserve any votes for this year.

But Lou receiving the award is a bit odd considering the Isles were likely not making the playoffs if the season had finished normally. Folks may like what he has done overal tenure in New York so far, but the award is supposed to be for decisions made for this season - and without that covid disruption 2nd chance it would have been a flop year for that team.

Imo BriseBois should have won by a landslide not to mention its pretty silly awarding this BEFORE we know who wins the cup

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

It definitely wasn't for lack of trying. :laugh:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

But Lou receiving the award is a bit odd considering the Isles were likely not making the playoffs if the season had finished normally. Folks may like what he has done overal tenure in New York so far, but the award is supposed to be for decisions made for this season - and without that covid disruption 2nd chance it would have been a flop year for that team.

Imo BriseBois should have won by a landslide not to mention its pretty silly awarding this BEFORE we know who wins the cup

"Folks" being all 31 GM's, 5 NHL exec's, and 5 NHL media members who were given the vote?

You actually believe they don't understand what they voted on? :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
"Folks" being all 31 GM's, 5 NHL exec's, and 5 NHL media members?

I think they let the recency bias of the playoffs sway their decisions too much. The Islanders weren't expected to make a deep push so they stick out more as a success story

A number of these nhl award choices always end up being questionable over the ears. It's pretty naive to think they make the right decision on every award.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
"Folks" being all 31 GM's, 5 NHL exec's, and 5 NHL media members who were given the vote?

It's some heavy recency bias that's really factoring into it. Without a doubt the Isles have done a hell of a job coming together as a team in this playoff format and putting together a strong run, which really reflects well on Lou. But let's not pretend that prior to the COVID shut down that the Isles were poised to make this same run in a normal playoff season.

They were on a 7-game losing streak and on the playoff bubble to begin with. There was a very real chance that they either missed the playoffs altogether or stumble into the first round. The COVID shut down gave them a second life and they've run with it.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think they let the recency bias of the playoffs sway their decisions too much.

A number of these nhl award choices always end up being questionable over the ears. It's pretty naive to think they make the right decision on every award.

It's some heavy recency bias that's really factoring into it. Without a doubt the Isles have done a hell of a job coming together as a team in this playoff format and putting together a strong run, which really reflects well on Lou. But let's not pretend that prior to the COVID shut down that the Isles were poised to make this same run in a normal playoff season.

They were on a 7-game losing streak and on the playoff bubble to begin with. There was a very real chance that they either missed the playoffs altogether or stumble into the first round. The COVID shut down gave them a second life and they've run with it.

Oh, ok. The 31 GM's, 5 executives, and 5 media members are biased towards Lou.

That's quite the charge but I'm sure there's plenty of evidence to support that accusation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They lost something like 11 of their last 13 games and were 6th in the Metro. The Isles are a fun story for their fans this playoffs but that doesn't mean they arrived here because of a series of shrewd managerial moves this season

Some folks need to accept that just beacuse they like Lou as a GM doesn't mean he deserves to win this particular award. Especially based on any rational comparison to say Tampa, Vegas or the Avs GMs

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Oh, ok. The 31 GM's, 5 executives, and 5 media members are biased towards Lou.

That's quite the charge but I'm sure there's plenty of evidence to support that accusation.

:squint:

It's recency bias on the situation ... Not bias on Lou specifically.

In short - the Isles successful playoff run today is weighing heavily in voters minds, as they overlook where the Isles were at the "end" of the regular season.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Crazy. Can’t imagine what the voters were thinking.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou Lam received votes in both 2016-17 when he managed he last place Leafs, improved them by +26 points from 69 to 95 and made the playoffs the very next year, an outstanding achievement that doesn't happen very often throughout NHL history. He also received recognition the following year when the Leafs organization established new franchise best marks in both points and wins in a season, but overshadowed by TB record setting 128 point season.

The Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award, where voting is conducted among NHL Club GMs and a panel of NHL executives. So its an award given by and recognized by being among the best of your own peers so it means more when your being recognized by the very same group you're competing against for that distinction.

Its just too bad that didn't say 2020 GM winner Lou Lamoriello, Leafs instead of NYI and it was our team battling in the final 4 instead.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

In short - the Isles successful playoff run today is weighing heavily in voters minds, as they overlook where the Isles were at the "end" of the regular season.
When was the vote conducted?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou Lam received votes in both 2016-17 when he managed he last place Leafs, improved them by +26 points from 69 to 95 and made the playoffs, an outstanding achievement that doesn't happen very often. He also received recognition the following year when the Leafs organization established new franchise best marks in points and wins in a season, but overshadowed by TB record setting 128 point season.

The Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award, where voting is conducted among NHL Club GMs and a panel of NHL executives. So its an award given by and recognized by being among the best of your own peers so it means more when your being recognized by the very same group you're competing against for that distinction.

Its just too bad that didn't say 2020 GM winner Lou Lamoriello, Leafs instead of NYI and it was our team battling in the final 4 instead.

I think You could definitely make a much better case for Lou in that 2016/17 season than this one.

Though I still think cup results should play the biggest factor for this award

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Biased on the situation that led to Lou winning GM of the Year?

Alright, I get where you're coming from now.

I don't think anyone was overlooking how injured the team was right before the shutdown. It's the healthy team that's currently winning rounds and Conference finalists that matters.

I hear excuses made for the Leafs injury situation as a reason they missed the playoffs this year.

Injuries doesn't make the team or GM that built the team worse does it?

Doesn't seem fair...

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
They lost something like 11 of their last 13 games and were 6th in the Metro. The Isles are a fun story for their fans this playoffs but that doesn't mean they arrived here because of a series of shrewd managerial moves this season

Some folks need to accept that just beacuse they like Lou as a GM doesn't mean he deserves to win this particular award. Especially based on any rational comparison to say Tampa, Vegas or the Avs GMs

"Some folks" just tend to defer to what 31 GM's, 5 executives, and 5 media members believe instead of internet discussion.

See, in my opinion, "some folks need to accept" that Lou has once again taken yet another team from the dumps to contention.

It's great that he's being recognized for it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
"Some folks" just tend to defer to what 31 GM's, 5 executives, and 5 media members believe instead of internet discussion.

So you've never disagreed with a single NHL award result?

And by the way a plurality among that group felt Lou deserved it, not a 100% consensus or even a majority of them. Meaning most voters felt it should be someone else....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So you've never disagreed with a single NHL award result?

And by the way a plurality among that group felt Lou deserved it, not a 100% consensus or even a majority of them.

I'm aware of how the voting process worked and I never once stated that he received a consensus of 1st place votes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting.

Since Dubas received zero votes for GM of the Year I think it's safe to say the Great James Mirtle wasn't one of the media members permitted to vote.

Like any fair unbiased election you're only allowed to vote once, so the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) are not allowed to vote on this award to remove such concerns. :)

Mirtle however made his own thoughts clear on twitter nonetheless. to voice his objection publicly.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dallas was #2 overall in best Goals against on the season and in this series they returned to the their strength and their roots.

Down 3-1 to Stars, Golden Knights vow series 'is a long way from over'

With a suffocating defense and clutch goaltending, the Dallas Stars are one win away from advancing to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 2000. But the Vegas Golden Knights vowed that the Western Conference finals are "a long way from over" following their 2-1 loss in Game 4 on Saturday night.

Down 3-1, Knights say, 'We've been here before'
They lost their ability to put the puck in the net in the Vancouver series. Hopefully they find it again.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Like any fair unbiased election you're only allowed to vote once, so the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) are not allowed to vote on this award to remove such concerns. :)

Mirtle however made his own thoughts clear on twitter nonetheless. to voice his objection publicly.

Of course he did. :laugh:

Lou could win the Cup with the Islanders and the guy would post stats the next day on his Twitter explaining why the other team should have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad