Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The sports hernia was his last injury before ending his career, but pretty much pick a body part, and Lupul had issues. He was deemed unfit to play by both the team doctors and an independent doctor. He had missed almost 50% of possible games over the previous 8 seasons. You have absolutely zero evidence that he was healthy enough to play.

Robidas has spoken publicly about how his injuries affected him. His knee was destroyed; the leg twice broken and then re-injured in exhibitions in his 2nd year here, after missing time in his first for a different injury.

"“I couldn’t do it,” he said of continuing to play. “I had two surgeries, the fracture, two screws in there … there was a lot happening with that right leg.”
"The last injury was tough and my body can’t keep up. When you can’t play, that’s how it goes. Things don’t don’t always go your way, so it was a chance to stand back and take care of my body, reflect on all those years I played. I was lucky, I was a smaller guy (for a defenceman), but it caught up to me.
“It was sad to not fulfill the whole contract. I wanted to help the Leafs, but there is not much you can do when your body breaks down.”
He says he gave the knee ample time to respond and it never did, to the point where he says it still hurts to even kick a soccer ball in the back yard with his daughter.
“I can live normally, but there are things i can’t do.”"

That is in the playoffs, and it's often not disclosed to team doctors until after the playoffs finish. There is a mandatory physical at the beginning of every year, and there is also a difference between something that can be temporarily played through with pain tolerance and dealt with after, and being in a state, even after the issue has been addressed, where you simply can't meet/get back to the physical requirements of professional hockey.

That doesn't mean he was able to play. Some players have more difficulty than others accepting when the only thing they really know is cut shorter than they had hoped.
so Lupul was cleared to play for 8 yrs even though he was constantly injured and then magically was unfit to play even though he himself tweeted just before camp he was healthy and ready to play ?

are you actually trying to say Seguin and the rest of the players who play injured are all hiding it from there teams medical staff ? lol that's why no one takes you seriously

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
so Lupul was cleared to play for 8 yrs even though he was constantly injured and then magically was unfit to play even though he himself tweeted just before camp he was healthy and ready to play ?

are you actually trying to say Seguin and the rest of the players who play injured are all hiding it from there teams medical staff ? lol that's why no one takes you seriously

“My contract was, at that point, exceeding my production on the ice. I was hurt a lot. It was always something — my back, then my groin. I couldn’t keep myself healthy. I had lost the confidence, not in my ability or skill-set, but the confidence in like, ‘Am I going to make it through this game?’ I feel like s––– today. Is there a chance I’m going to blow out my back or something?
“They didn’t necessarily want me back on the team that year, and they made that pretty clear, but if I had full confidence in my body, I’m sure I would’ve put up a big fight and been like, ‘Hey, I don’t want to do this.’
“I thought the situation, from my end, could’ve been handled a lot differently. It could’ve been sitting across the table from each other chatting about it.”
Lupul admits he’d be training while wrestling with the fear he might ruin his body for life. He thought about wanting to be healthy for his kids one day.
“When that stuff gets in your head, you’re not going to be successful,” Lupul said.
“I don’t hold a grudge.”

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
so Lupul was cleared to play for 8 yrs even though he was constantly injured and then magically was unfit to play
Lupul was not cleared to play for 8 years. He missed almost half of the games, including not playing at all in the season prior. You have absolutely zero evidence that Lupul was fit to play. In contrast, we know that Lupul had a mix of both chronic and normal injuries that had kept him out of massive amounts of games over his career, and out of the game completely for over a year. We know that both the team doctors and an independent doctor had the same conclusion that he was unfit to play. We know that Lupul himself seems to accept the inadequate condition he was in. There is a reason that the NHL prompted the independent physical instead of Lupul through the NHLPA (the usual process). It was because Lupul himself didn't bother, because he knew he was done. He also spoke about it a couple months later.

“I’m like, ‘Ah, man, I miss certain things,’ but I’m thinking about like the best moments. I’m not thinking about getting multiple surgeries and breaking bones and like the bad parts, or the tough parts."
“When I think about things like that, it’s easier to let go of the fact that your body is not in good shape and it’s probably not meant to play hockey anymore."
"That’s one thing I find myself dealing with now that I’m not playing, and probably won’t be playing going forward.”
He’s an unrestricted free agent in July. But, like Lupul himself said, he “probably won’t” be back.
“Put it this way: I haven’t skated in a solid year,” Lupul added. (which BTW, would be super weird if he had been realistically planning to play)
"I think it’s pretty natural for any player once their career ends — and actually, I’m still, I’m injured this year, I’m still under contract, but I was not able to pass a physical and come back and play — but I think it’s pretty natural for someone to just kind of take some time off.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
“My contract was, at that point, exceeding my production on the ice. I was hurt a lot. It was always something — my back, then my groin. I couldn’t keep myself healthy. I had lost the confidence, not in my ability or skill-set, but the confidence in like, ‘Am I going to make it through this game?’ I feel like s––– today. Is there a chance I’m going to blow out my back or something?
“They didn’t necessarily want me back on the team that year, and they made that pretty clear, but if I had full confidence in my body, I’m sure I would’ve put up a big fight and been like, ‘Hey, I don’t want to do this.’
“I thought the situation, from my end, could’ve been handled a lot differently. It could’ve been sitting across the table from each other chatting about it.”
Lupul admits he’d be training while wrestling with the fear he might ruin his body for life. He thought about wanting to be healthy for his kids one day.
“When that stuff gets in your head, you’re not going to be successful,” Lupul said.
“I don’t hold a grudge.”
don't get your point , Lupes was dealing with injuries for the majority of his career yet continued to play year after year until the team told him his services were no longer needed

basically all this says is the team didn't want him back and his options were playing out his contract in the minors or going on ltir which is what i already said

he isn't the first player to play through chronic injuries and he won't be the last

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
don't get your point , Lupes was dealing with injuries for the majority of his career yet continued to play year after year until the team told him his services were no longer needed

basically all this says is the team didn't want him back and his options were playing out his contract in the minors or going on ltir which is what i already said

he isn't the first player to play through chronic injuries and he won't be the last

I may have missed him being given the option to play in the minors. Can you please post a link to verify this?

Thanks.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I may have missed him being given the option to play in the minors. Can you please post a link to verify this?

Thanks.
pretty obvious those were the two choices he had

Lupes showed up too camp ready to play as he tweeted so if the team didn't want him what other possibilities do you think there were ?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
so basically a conspiracy theory.

I have roughly 70 employees I manage. Shockingly not one of them is allowed to work here if they don't have 100% clearance from a doctor. In some cases we can accommodate altered duties if the work exists that allows them to work around it. If not, they don't work here. Most of them will tell you "Oh no, I'm fine to work". Unfortunately that doesn't cut it. If they are away from work for a certain period of time for medical reasons, they aren't allowed back until they have 100% clearance. Frankly it always makes me laugh, the notion of the individual being able to say "No no, I'm good". Especially funny in the hockey world was how often someone with concussion issues used to be allowed to say "No no, I can play". I mean really, imagine a person who has had their brain scrambled being the person who gets to determine if they are good? At least they've put practises in place on that one.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't expect training camps to take place over Christmas. I figure training camp opens Monday, December 28th and the season starts Tuesday, January 12th.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't expect training camps to take place over Christmas. I figure training camp opens Monday, December 28th and the season starts Tuesday, January 12th.

That seems more realistic. Can't see the players agreeing to being in camp over Christmas

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Will the owners want a 82 games schedule when they know for certain they might not be able to have fans or only 50%.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
pretty obvious those were the two choices he had

Lupes showed up too camp ready to play as he tweeted so if the team didn't want him what other possibilities do you think there were ?

If he's not healthy enough to play in the NHL safely, how would he be healthy enough to play in a more physical league safely?

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
I won't congratulate Tampa. The fact that Tampa exists in the NHL, and Tampa winning two cups in the color Television Era really irritates me. Tampa shouldn't exist, especially in a league that steals from its Original 6 to pay the poor. Call me a cynic.

Reactions: Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad