Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Buying out Leddy and replacing him with an ELC is enough room to bridge Barzal and ice a 21-man roster. Could also bury Ladd and replace him with someone at =<1.0375 AAV for a little more wiggle room.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Should be interesting to see what the Isles do to manoeuvre the cap.

Pretty meh bridge deal. Not a particularly low cap hit for 2 years and it walks him right to UFA. Further to that the Isles will now have 4 UFA d-men to replace or re-sign in 2 years.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
It's not going to be pretty what they'll have to give up to move Boychuk or Ladd in this market.

His other option would be to trade another good player or two away but I don't think theu can really afford too.
Even the rest of their players would be tough to move. Even before the flat cap.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lou will probably place Ladd on ltir which will up his cap space to over 9m , more than enough to sign Barzel .

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It’s hard to believe there isn’t a plan for Barzal.

There might be a plan, but it may not be a good one. That Pulock deal, although good AAV, walks him right into UFA. Lou backed himself into a corner 2 years from now giving Pulock all the negotiating power.

Hopefully that Leaf tattoo on his arm is enough to send him this way.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Why didn't Lou take care of all of this a long time ago? Cap hell! Incompetent! Should have known better!!
Play hard ball and let him sit out the year! Don't get bent over! That'll show 'em!!

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Lou will probably place Ladd on ltir which will up his cap space to over 9m , more than enough to sign Barzel .
believe it or not a player needs an actual injury to qualify for LTIR and even then being over the cap before using it handcuffs them for the next 3 years from accruing money towards the deadline.

They are in a really bad spot.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
believe it or not a player needs an actual injury to qualify for LTIR and even then being over the cap before using it handcuffs them for the next 3 years from accruing money towards the deadline.

neither Lupul or Robidas has an actual injury when placed on ltir and i'm sure it would be easy for the team to come up with some medical condition to be able to ltir Ladd

this being said , the owners need to be on board with spending millions over the cap which isn't a given especially with how much money there losing during the pandemic

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
what injuries did they have ? Lupul came to camp fully prepared to play the season and mysteriously was deemed unfit to play , lol .
yes, by the team's doctors and then it was investigated by the NHL and he was deemed unfit to play. I know you'd love to pretend Lou just told a healthy player he was finished, but that's not what happened and it won't happen with Ladd

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
what injuries did they have ? Lupul came to camp fully prepared to play the season and mysteriously was deemed unfit to play , lol .
Lupul had significant chronic injuries throughout his career, then had a sports hernia and was out for the season, then had surgery and couldn't play the following season, and then was finally deemed unfit to play when he came back for the following training camp after that. Lupul did not opt to get a 2nd opinion, but the NHL did a second independent physical anyway, and he failed that one as well. The idea that Lupul wasn't injured when he was on LTIR is completely baseless.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yes, by the team's doctors and then it was investigated by the NHL and he was deemed unfit to play. I know you'd love to pretend Lou just told a healthy player he was finished, but that's not what happened and it won't happen with Ladd
yup he was just as unhealthy as Hossa who after supposedly dealing with a rash for years finally couldn't tolerate playing anymore once his actual salary dropped to 1m the final few years , lol , and it was only investigated after a number of players mysteriously came down with career ending ailments and after Lupes tweet about being healthy and ready to play

at Ladd's age it would be easy to find something to place him on ltir since it's not like he's been playing full seasons lately

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Boggles the mind. GM of the Year for a team pacing for close to a 10 point regression and no playoffs, has his team in cap hell with not a single solitary star player under contract (you'd think this would be impossible), repeats his Nylander mistake walking his player to RFA status, has a prospect pool ranked bottom half to bottom third and manages to have his first pick at #90 in a very deep draft. Now forced to move one d-man plus sign a core piece to a contract walking him to free agency (within the realm of possibility he only gets one year out of him).

Lou's two saving graces are having possibly the best coach in the game (from a systems standpoint) decide to leave the Cup Champs at a time when he had pretty much the only job available and right now possibly having COVID keep numbers down (as well as offersheets at bay).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lupul had significant chronic injuries throughout his career, then had a sports hernia and was out for the season, then had surgery and couldn't play the following season, and then was finally deemed unfit to play when he came back for the following training camp after that. Lupul did not opt to get a 2nd opinion, but the NHL did a second independent physical anyway, and he failed that one as well. The idea that Lupul wasn't injured when he was on LTIR is completely baseless.
still didn't tell me what this mysterious injury was that ended his and Robidas careers , lol

players have played with chronic injuries for years as well as playing with injuries and then dealing with them in the off season , do you think Seguin would have cleared a physical during the playoffs ? yet he still played

hell a few years ago Bergeron played with broken ribs and a punctured lung so how was he cleared to play ?

Lupul came to camp ready to play , it's obvious Lou told him he was no longer wanted on the team and gave him two options , go on ltir or ride the buses in the minors

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
still didn't tell me what this mysterious injury was that ended his and Robidas careers , lol
The sports hernia was his last injury before ending his career, but pretty much pick a body part, and Lupul had issues. He was deemed unfit to play by both the team doctors and an independent doctor. He had missed almost 50% of possible games over the previous 8 seasons. You have absolutely zero evidence that he was healthy enough to play.

Robidas has spoken publicly about how his injuries affected him. His knee was destroyed; the leg twice broken and then re-injured in exhibitions in his 2nd year here, after missing time in his first for a different injury.

"“I couldn’t do it,” he said of continuing to play. “I had two surgeries, the fracture, two screws in there … there was a lot happening with that right leg.”
"The last injury was tough and my body can’t keep up. When you can’t play, that’s how it goes. Things don’t don’t always go your way, so it was a chance to stand back and take care of my body, reflect on all those years I played. I was lucky, I was a smaller guy (for a defenceman), but it caught up to me.
“It was sad to not fulfill the whole contract. I wanted to help the Leafs, but there is not much you can do when your body breaks down.”
He says he gave the knee ample time to respond and it never did, to the point where he says it still hurts to even kick a soccer ball in the back yard with his daughter.
“I can live normally, but there are things i can’t do.”"
hell a few years ago Bergeron played with broken ribs and a punctured lung so how was he cleared to play ?
That is in the playoffs, and it's often not disclosed to team doctors until after the playoffs finish. There is a mandatory physical at the beginning of every year, and there is also a difference between something that can be temporarily played through with pain tolerance and dealt with after, and being in a state, even after the issue has been addressed, where you simply can't meet/get back to the physical requirements of professional hockey.
Lupul came to camp ready to play
That doesn't mean he was able to play. Some players have more difficulty than others accepting when the only thing they really know is cut shorter than they had hoped.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Buying out Leddy and replacing him with an ELC is enough room to bridge Barzal and ice a 21-man roster. Could also bury Ladd and replace him with someone at =<1.0375 AAV for a little more wiggle room.

Buying out Leddy does work, but I don't see them doing that. Putting Ladd in the minors and replacing him does nothing for them at all. They can send Ladd and Komarov to the minors, sign Barzal to $6 mil for a season or two, and run with 20 players on the roster.... or they are going to have to make a trade, moving Ladd or Komarov, with significant adds, for someone to take them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->