Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So when Nylander was RFA, I believe there were well over 20 main board threads. Don't see a single one (recent at least) on Barzal?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Reactions: ACC1224

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The level of mismanagement here is astonishing. I would not have drafted the kid, even if I thought he was a fringe 1st round talent, more likely a 2nd rounder. But, to draft a kid, make a statement in support then bend to public pressure is ridiculous. They wasted a 4th round pick in less than a month. I get the hit rate on those is low, but its spectacular mismanagement of an asset with value.

Either don't draft the kid or draft him and take the PR hit. Don't draft him, take a massive PR hit, and then renounce his rights. They basically drafted a damaged reputation with a 4th rounder, and now have no upside what so ever, while also looking ridiculous with their overall PR on that matter.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The level of mismanagement here is astonishing. I would not have drafted the kid, even if I thought he was a fringe 1st round talent, more likely a 2nd rounder. But, to draft a kid, make a statement in support then bend to public pressure is ridiculous. They wasted a 4th round pick in less than a month. I get the hit rate on those is low, but its spectacular mismanagement of an asset with value.

Either don't draft the kid or draft him and take the PR hit. Don't draft him, take a massive PR hit, and then renounce his rights. They basically drafted a damaged reputation with a 4th rounder, and now have no upside what so ever, while also looking ridiculous with their overall PR on that matter.

Agreed, they got the worst of both worlds. Colossal f*** up. They could've at least spun it as they were rehabilitating a kid to make him an upstanding citizen as an adult.

Somehow we're supposed to be afraid that Auston Matthews will sign there as a free agent.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Not defending Mitchell at all. But this is now a life sentence.

Any team picking him had to stand by it. Or not pick him at all. No other team is going to jump in the pool now with the extra publicity. It can no longer a case of "we believe in redemption", it now becomes a case of "our standards are even worse than Arizona".

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly it's a mess. They drafted the guy probably hoping no one would care or notice. Then they release a fairly vanilla statement after it gets public attention. Attention remains negative and they are taking more heat. So they decide to burn a fourth round pick and just cut ties. Managed to make the absolute worst out of this situation they possibly could.

Of course issues remain with the player. What he did remains what it is. But if there has seriously been a lack of remorse or attempts to make things as right as they possibly can in such a bad situation that is his issue. Isn't going to get far until he does that. But at this point anything he does is honestly only going to look for the sake of his own career. But is what it is.

Regardless, it's a mess. Amazing after the whole fiasco that cost them picks in the first place, having to rebuild in such a situation, that they've managed to find a way to make things even more of a mess.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Any team picking him had to stand by it. Or not pick him at all. No other team is going to jump in the pool now with the extra publicity. It can no longer a case of "we believe in redemption", it now becomes a case of "our standards are even worse than Arizona".

Voynov is still playing hockey. He wants to play hockey professionally that bad and is good enough he has many leagues over seas where he can have a fresh start and make good money. I can forgive the kid for being a bully in high school because a lot of people have probably bullied someone in some sort of way but if he hasn't shown any remorse or even apologized to the kid or his family then it's like wtf. Last time it happened was 2 years ago and I'm gonna guess the only reason he hasn't continued is because he is in a different state playing hockey now?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Honestly it's a mess. They drafted the guy probably hoping no one would care or notice. Then they release a fairly vanilla statement after it gets public attention. Attention remains negative and they are taking more heat. So they decide to burn a fourth round pick and just cut ties. Managed to make the absolute worst out of this situation they possibly could.

Of course issues remain with the player. What he did remains what it is. But if there has seriously been a lack of remorse or attempts to make things as right as they possibly can in such a bad situation that is his issue. Isn't going to get far until he does that. But at this point anything he does is honestly only going to look for the sake of his own career. But is what it is.

Regardless, it's a mess. Amazing after the whole fiasco that cost them picks in the first place, having to rebuild in such a situation, that they've managed to find a way to make things even more of a mess.

He got drafted and some on here said yikes so some people asked why the pick was a yikes and why he was on teams Do Not Draft lists and they just said search google. I did that and nothing really came up about this so I just let it go and forgot about it. Now all this comes out and it's like wtf. You gotta be some kind of sick demented person to put a lollipop or whatever in a urinal and then give it to a disabled person and then to even go as far as saying racial slurs to them. Ultimate coward move picking on people who can't really defend themselves and he better keep his head up on the ice from now on because I bet you there's gonna be lots of people who have read about what he has done and are gonna be targeting him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not trying to be THAT GUY but if this Mitchell kid got talents like McDavid or even just a top 10-15 talents, would this still happen?

Not defending him in anyway and I also don’t know all the details. My point is if he is super talented, would this still happen? Or would it be, this kid got character issues but he is very young, we(organization) will work with him and everyone deserves a second chance.....

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Not trying to be THAT GUY but if this Mitchell kid got talents like McDavid or even just a top 10-15 talents, would this still happen?

Not defending him in anyway and I also don’t know all the details. My point is if he is super talented, would this still happen? Or would it be, this kid got character issues but he is very young, we(organization) will work with him and everyone deserves a second chance.....

I bet he would have had better guidance and actually apologized for his actions. He either simple is a terrible person or the people guiding him are crap. To little to late to be in the spot light, but he can still turn out to be a decent person with the right people around him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

he’s not sentenced to anything? He gave up his opportunity to possibly be one of the privileged few who get to play nhl hockey (whether he was good enough who knows) he isn’t going to jail there is no sentence

should of been a do not draft kid, you’d hope he’d learn and apologize to the kid instead of nhl teams. And perhaps volunteer somewhere related perhaps to disabilities or black community to show some sort of contrition. The judge at his trial said of him That he didnt look to be remorseful of what he did but that he got caught. AND he still tormented this kid after the f***ing court case!

kid is a grade A piece of shit and doesn’t deserve the chance to be a hockey player and role model at the top level.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
he’s not sentenced to anything? He gave up his opportunity to possibly be one of the privileged few who get to play nhl hockey (whether he was good enough who knows) he isn’t going to jail there is no sentence

should of been a do not draft kid, you’d hope he’d learn and apologize to the kid instead of nhl teams. And perhaps volunteer somewhere related perhaps to disabilities or black community to show some sort of contrition. The judge at his trial said of him That he didnt look to be remorseful of what he did but that he got caught. AND he still tormented this kid after the f***ing court case!

kid is a grade A piece of shit and doesn’t deserve the chance to be a hockey player and role model at the top level.

Agreed. And this is his 2nd public conviction. He's persona non grata forever.

Reactions: Walshy7

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I strongly believe in the near-NHL-ready European players practising on North American ice in place of playing actual games in European leagues. There's a big difference between the two ice surfaces. There is space in the larger European ice surface that gives the defenders extra time that does not exist in the North American game.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

In response to your second paragraph, my takeaway is that the Coyotes figured they'd take a PR hit, but not to this extent. They pretty much had to renounce his rights otherwise they'd have the aura/stigma of having this guy in their system and on their team following them along.

Considering their 4th was their first pick and so late in the draft, it makes sense to have swung for the fences on an early 2nd type talent. It's just way too much baggage came with it to actually reap any rewards from it, or at least without looking like a scumbag organization in doing so (I will say, it seems fitting that this gongshow organization was buried even deeper than it already is).

I do believe if this was let's say 2005, the Coyotes could have gotten away with it. Saying he was a troubled, immature 14-year old, who they were going to work with to rehabilitate. In today's culture where everything is so magnified on a politically correct scale however, it wouldn't fly. They really had no choice.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Imagine being a kid, which Miller is, and making a mistake and then it probably ruining your life going forward because of how pathetic society is nowadays.

I've said and done some outrageously stupid things as a teenage kid. Real, real dumb things.

I'm now a service police officer for the public of England and Wales. If the media were to discover my history as an 18/19/20yr old kid, i'd probably be banished to a cave.

Kids do stupid stuff.

f*** Arizona and society for deciding it is now his destiny to wear that forever.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Imagine being a kid, which Miller is, and making a mistake and then it probably ruining your life going forward because of how pathetic society is nowadays.

I've said and done some outrageously stupid things as a teenage kid. Real, real dumb things.

I'm now a service police officer for the public of England and Wales. If the media were to discover my history as an 18/19/20yr old kid, i'd probably be banished to a cave.

Kids do stupid stuff.

f*** Arizona and society for deciding it is now his destiny to wear that forever.

"A mistake"

See, I'm all for forgiving, "a mistake".

Yet, here was are, talking about a kid who repeatedly abused a mentally challenge kid, physically and emotionally, with racial slurs, making him eat candy rubbed in a urinal, at such a crap level... for YEARS. Showed no remorse, no apology, and then continued to do it, for two more years, after pleading guilty. Repeated behaviour such as this, for years, and years... isn't a "mistake".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad