Around the NHL #3 - Straight Cash Homey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Who? I do not recall those names good sir.

I do.

Martinook was pretty amazing though. If he was a guy who ended up on the team as long as Hanzal he would have been in my top 10-15 favorite players of all time. He really did not jell well in RT's system. Hell of a 4th liner though and so glad to see him get success in Carolina.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I thought Sam Gagner was an extremely underrated player here, and I liked him a lot.
He was okay here. Just down on the ice a lot and streaky. Worked hard'ish. That was the year the wheels fell off. You could tell Tipp didn't know what to do with him, though. We had zero depth, so it was hard to insulate him. I just remember him bouncing around a lot in the line-blender and being hot-cold.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not good enough for a scoring role, doesn't bring enough for a bottom level role, so where does he fit?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not good enough for a scoring role, doesn't bring enough for a bottom level role, so where does he fit?

Teams that need situational offense in depth spots. Basically Conor Garland's job last season. Except teams usually reserve that job for young players so.....

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Teams that need situational offense in depth spots. Basically Conor Garland's job last season. Except teams usually reserve that job for young players so.....
They certainly don't want to pay someone several million dollars for that role, that's for sure.

Reactions: Jakey53

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Interesting to see Ottawa using Duclair on the PK, for what I assume is purely a counterattack option. Bold strategy.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Interesting to see Ottawa using Duclair on the PK, for what I assume is purely a counterattack option. Bold strategy.

Not really any different than how Grabner is deployed here. If your job is to close down shooters and try to jam the puck away (ala Duke on Domi) then it's a smart use of a player.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Not really any different than how Grabner is deployed here. If your job is to close down shooters and try to jam the puck away (ala Duke on Domi) then it's a smart use of a player.

Difference being Grabner putting his body on the line and blocking shots. It'll be a cold day in Hell before Duke dives in front of a shot.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dylan Strome never felt all that comfortable as a member of the Coyotes organization. It didn't take the center long after arriving via a trade last November to relax and settle in with the Blackhawks thanks to a conversation with Vice President of Team Operations Tony Ommen on Strome's first full day in town.

"He told me to go look for a house," Strome said following Day 2 of Blackhawks Training Camp Saturday. "That's something I never had in Arizona. I never got a housing letter so everything was kind of up in the air and I was always wondering if I was going to be sent down.

"It might not mean a lot to them, but it meant a lot to me," Strome, 22, said. "It means you're probably not going to be sent down for a while, at least. Things like that I didn't have (in Arizona) and when I got here it was a luxury of having that right away and feeling comfortable and feeling like I belong."

FEATURE: How Dylan Strome Felt at Home Right Away in Chicago

Interesting little organizational difference.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Meh, whatever haha. He never did enough here to warrant us telling him to go buy a house. You’ve got to earn your way and do something to separate yourself. If you don’t, you’re in limbo...simple as that. Sometimes as a player you have to be ok being in limbo and go out there and do your thing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Meh, whatever haha. He never did enough here to warrant us telling him to go buy a house. You’ve got to earn your way and do something to separate yourself. If you don’t, you’re in limbo...simple as that. Sometimes as a player you have to be ok being in limbo and go out there and do your thing.

Or, alternatively, sometimes maximizing the performance of athletes involves having some faith and stability with the player.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Or, alternatively, sometimes maximizing the performance of athletes involves having some faith and stability with the player.

Can't argue that one organization wins cups and the other occasionally tops out at mediocre. They put him in a position to succeed and he played like the player we STILL need from day one. That's not a coincidence.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

It’s professional sports. Faith and stability are earned, not given freely. Especially when you know your GM didn’t even draft you in the first place. Players like Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, Schmaltz, have all been shown faith and stability with their contracts in a relatively low sample size...obviously they did something to warrant it that Strome didn’t.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It’s professional sports. Faith and stability are earned, not given freely. Especially when you know your GM didn’t even draft you in the first place. Players like Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, Schmaltz, have all been shown faith and stability with their contracts in a relatively low sample size...obviously they did something to warrant it that Strome didn’t.

It was 'freely given' by the organization with 3 recent cups to the Coyotes zero. It's hilarious to me that you used Schmaltz, a player that was noted for being disinterested and lazy in Chicago, as an example of 'forward thinking' when he only played 17 games with the Coyotes before getting paid. You don't need to double down on the absurd, it's okay to just say the organization f***ed up or didn't play their cards right with Strome. It doesn't make you less of a fan or a terrible person.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bingo!

Can't argue that one organization wins cups and the other occasionally tops out at mediocre. They put him in a position to succeed and he played like the player we STILL need from day one. That's not a coincidence.
Do we really need Strome as our 1C? We have coach and fan favorite Stepan.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad