Around the NHL #3 - Straight Cash Homey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s professional sports. Faith and stability are earned, not given freely. Especially when you know your GM didn’t even draft you in the first place. Players like Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, Schmaltz, have all been shown faith and stability with their contracts in a relatively low sample size...obviously they did something to warrant it that Strome didn’t.
You are right. Strome should have got hurt.:sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
It was 'freely given' by the organization with 3 recent cups to the Coyotes zero. It's hilarious to me that you used Schmaltz, a player that was noted for being disinterested and lazy in Chicago, as an example of 'forward thinking' when he only played 17 games with the Coyotes before getting paid. You don't need to double down on the absurd, it's okay to just say the organization ****ed up or didn't play their cards right with Strome. It doesn't make you less of a fan or a terrible person.

Haha did I ever use the words “forward thinking?” You used the words “faith and stability.” I believe the Schmaltz contract is a show of faith and provides stability...something that you originally asserted this organization has failed to provide. The point is that they do provide it...to players that they believe are apart of their long term future. Obviously that belief was never that strong with Strome, whatever the reason. I wish him the best and don’t really care all that much either way to be honest. Time will tell whether they played their cards right or wrong on that one.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Also, the holier than thou Blackhawks don’t show faith and stability to all of their players either, i.e. Vinny Hinostroza... nor does any professional sports team in the world. Once you identify the players you want to be a part of your future, then you provide it. Teams can certainly fail to identify the “right” players...happens all the time.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Or, alternatively, sometimes maximizing the performance of athletes involves having some faith and stability with the player.

Devil's advocate: if you have a prospect that needs to buy a house in town in order to feel comfy enough to produce, he's probably not the mentally strongest guy in the world.

I like Strome but man, if you're at the point where you need a guarantee from your GM/coach that you're not going to get sent down in order to be at your best, you are either way too insecure or way too entitled for the professional game.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
MORPHEUS.png

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Strome discussion Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes... again.

*takes blue pill* :laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Or, alternatively, sometimes maximizing the performance of athletes involves having some faith and stability with the player.

Are these also the same people that argued against the dollars and term for Keller and/or others? Because technically, giving a UFA contract like that to Keller does the same thing. But, when it is done for Keller, it is clearly misguided. But not doing that for Strome is a sign that the organization is horribly-managed. You can't have it both ways. If you don't support the Keller deal, but then state our issue is that we don't provide faith/stability when the Keller deal does that, then you are getting caught up in the names and not the performance.

Let me ask, if there was any sense that what he was doing on the ice would keep him in Phoenix consistently, then wouldn't he have been told to look for a place on his own? A constant up-and-down performance on the ice limits his ability to do anything long-term. I would hope that if I had a job that I did some good work in, and some really bad work in, I would never know what work would be sent my way and what wouldn't be sent my way, since my performance has been hit or miss.

Keller went for 65 and 47 in 160 games. Strome had 16 in 48 games. If you think that they should both be afforded the same stability and faith, then I don't know what to say.

Maybe there is an expectation that a 21 year old kid should at least know how to contact an apartment complex to lease a unit if there are no guarantees that he can buy a house for an extended stay. Lyubushkin stayed in Galchenyuk's guest room. There are multiple stories of young players renting the guest house or guest room of another player, so this almost paints it as if though we gave him no options to live.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Speaking of the Blackhawks....

....they just extended DeBrincat...... 3 x $6.4M AAV

Honestly, makes the Keller deal look pretty good still. In 3 years, if DeBrincat keeps up his pace, he could easily have a $10 - 12 M AAV when his next contract rolls around. If the Blackhawks were to have given him 8 years at $69 M total, it would basically be the same deal over the long run. The difference is that you don't have to worry about market changing in 3 years.

For the record, players who scored more than 35 goals had more than 70 points averaged $8.1 M last year in AAV. Some of these are older deals, like Toews, Kane, Marchand, and Ovechkin. The others are the first deals for players like Pastrnak, Gaudreau, and Barkov, where the dollars are significantly below the production. The newer deals are going to have more money built in, so that type of play is heading more toward the $9+ M territory.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
MORPHEUS.png

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Strome discussion Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes... again.

*takes blue pill* :laugh:

Red, please!

worldburn.gif
forum40shutdown.jpg

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Ho-Sang asks for trade. What would they ask for a guy who got waived and not claimed? Can't we trade one of our under performing guys for him? I like his energy. If you could only harness the power of the Ho-Sang.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ho-Sang asks for trade. What would they ask for a guy who got waived and not claimed? Can't we trade one of our under performing guys for him? I like his energy. If you could only harness the power of the Ho-Sang.

Ho-Sang is nothing close to the type of player Chayka covets. His skill aside, he's not a team player, and that's been priority 1 for Chayka since he's been around.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Anybody know if the free Centre Ice preview is set up again this year? I checked last night and wasn't able to ascertain whether I would be able to record the game or not. :dunno:

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The Sharks looked like the epitome of a red hot dumpster fire last night. Vegas is really good and there was no Erik Karlsson, but they could have easily lost that game 9-1.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anybody know if the free Centre Ice preview is set up again this year? I checked last night and wasn't able to ascertain whether I would be able to record the game or not. :dunno:

Sometimes they don't let you record free preview channels. Depends on the carrier.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Maroon scores for Tampa. This might be the year for them. They finally answered the lack of muscle with Maroon, Witkowski and Smith. They may have less wins but come playoff time they wont get pushed around.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Really wouldn't have minded Lucic punching some one in the face after one of the many times Keller was roughed up tonight... I could name a couple guys making more money (some with similar or higher cap hit) that I would have been happy to have scratched tonight.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Here in PA, it was available on my limited cable (Xfinity) app (Smart TV) and I was able to record it. It was the ANH feed, but I have the NHL package (NHL app) so while I was glad to see it worked, it was useless to me since I'm already paying on the NHL site.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Really wouldn't have minded Lucic punching some one in the face after one of the many times Keller was roughed up tonight... I could name a couple guys making more money (some with similar or higher cap hit) that I would have been happy to have scratched tonight.

Keller got smoked twice in his first freaken shift. That dude is going to be sore today. Ferland would have been such big get for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad