Around the NHL #3 - Straight Cash Homey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
For over 1/3rd of the game the Oilers will have a line of forwards on the ice that generally will not lose almost every night. I don't see that as overly dire as most do. In the next few years they clear a lot of Cap space. Hold steady and they will be just fine. I would not be surprised if they make the playoffs in next couple of years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I guess Marner didn't set the market like some suggested. One GM said as much and stated that if Marner signed anywhere but TO, it would have been for about $2 mill. less per year. He hit the nail on the head. The way it looks, most of the good RFA's are getting signed and paid, as they should. Hopefully, it will shock some of the vets who are thinking of cashing in big time because they think "they are deserving" of a big pay raise. The times are a changing.

Reactions: Plub

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I guess Marner didn't set the market like some suggested. One GM said as much and stated that if Marner signed anywhere but TO, it would have been for about $2 mill. less per year. He hit the nail on the head. The way it looks, most of the good RFA's are getting signed and paid, as they should. Hopefully, it will shock some of the vets who are thinking of cashing in big time because they think "they are deserving" of a big pay raise. The times are a changing.
The Leaf's are at least $5 million too high on their last 3 big signings. It's really hard to make that up.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Anyone see the Domi fight? Actually not a fight, he got pounded. Then Duclair scores on him...bad night

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I kind of want Edmonton to either dominate or fail spectacularly, only so I can watch one of the two factions backpedal and perform mental gymnastics to justify their over the top Tippet love/hate.

world_burn.jpg
lol... loving the pre-emptive back pedaling already.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
May 28th 2019
I would trade our entire team for McDavid and Draisaitl without question. Both are better than anything Tippett had while he was here. Tippett is great at squeezing value out of crappy bit players. Those are exactly the kinds of guys they need more from as they surround some of that elite talent. I wouldn’t want McDavid or Draisaitl breaking in under Tippett. But given that they’re both already established, it should be a good fit.

If you can get that quintessential rag-tag, scrappy underdog Dave Tippett team going. One that’s fully bought in and executing exactly to his standards. That team with McDavid and Draisaitl plopped right on top would be very tough to handle. Also, he gets great miles out of cheap players. This will help with cap compliance during McDavid and Draisaitl’s best years.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tippett was fine until it was clear we needed a real rebuild and to infuse youth. Noone was dragging those teams to the playoffs, but there was no excuse for the complete mental collapses, the poor effort, the high GAA in a "defensive system", the public pouting and complaining about his roster, his complete lack of answers on how he was going to move forward. He was waaay past his due date here. Good riddance.
He can do well in Edmonton if he gets buy in from the players and if Holland gives him "his guys" and deals off the kids. McDavid and Drai and plugs will go a lot farther than scrubs and plugs. They need to figure out that D and goaltending, though. And they are up against the Cap with a lot of holes. I expect that outside the big guns, the roster will start looking like ours did because they have no cap room: castoffs and AHL players with try.

I'll be mostly interested in seeing how the players react. Because they didn't respond to Hitch or any of the other myriad of coaching hires.

What he really needs a veteran heavy team with money and cap or the flexibility to remake their roster in his image using third liners instead of fourth liners or worse.
They just need the" right" crap in the rest of the roster. If Holland goes out and gets Tipp-guys and dumps the others as soon as Tipp shows impatience, they will be fine for a couple years if there is buy in on the roster. That's his bread and butter.
Or we watch him get increasingly frustrated and say, "well, these are the guys I have..." after every loss and bury them (like Hitchcock did).

Honestly, that team and roster is so dysfunctional that I'm not sure it's completely on Tipp if he fails. But he gets a chance to put paid the "he only played that way because he had to" and "Dave is a masterful developer of talent-- look at Rieder and Chipchura who had career years" myths if nothing else.

With the big guns carrying his water on offense, he should be able to eke out more wins with his style and his guys. He could be a good fit if they remake the bottom of the roster in his image. It's what happens after that, and who he stunts that will tell the story. That's when the excuse well runs dry. It's probably worth it for them if they can turn around the decade long crap show.
May 2019...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad