Around the NHL 2021-22

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don’t know the insurance situation, but I can’t believe that any minor advantage is worth giving away $16.5 million or 14.5 if this year’s bonus is paid (btw, that’s like 2/3 of their expansion take for which they gave Gourde).
Insurance is never publicized, in the old days it was more standard for 80% coverage past a certain amount of time on the shelf, but policies these days are all over the map. Premiums have definitely gone up in the concussion era and with the general war of attrition in the modern NHL. Teams insure contracts, and most players will also take out their own personal disability insurance against future earnings too, or at least their agent will recommend that. Either way, Seabrook is going to get paid. But it's very likely the Bolts will have to pay some amount of real money to manage his presence, 100% insurance coverage on his salary is possible, but not likely, and they'll have 3 years worth of administration and incidentals costs to have him on the books. But I'm sure this won't add up to more than a few million at most, nothing like their full Expansion take or the money they got rid of in Johnson. Still, it's not better than nothing.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Since I don't follow other teams enough to know all the players in the NHL but we're having this discussion about why Poile can't or won't make a deal to get Johnson and his contract to gain extra picks so I figured I'd look him up.

I didn't have to go any farther than he's tiny, over 30, and not producing like he once was.
Why would Poile want him? He just got rid of two players that have the same problems but are younger.
Pay that extra money just for a second round pick? No thanks, picks are way over valued here. I'd rather the owners save a bit of coin than buy a 2nd round draft pick.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I have had zero interest in the idea of Johnson and a pick. That’s why I haven’t even discussed it.

my targets would be a mix of skill sets but primarily around the age of 23-26. guys that could contribute at a high level when askarov is ready in possibly 2-3 years and tomasino, tolvanen, carrier, fabbro, (glass??) etc are hitting their strides.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would take that easy over granlund. or granlund at that term. free agency isn’t always about what you want though.
Well, as much as I was semi-promoting Suter, no, I wouldn't take him over Granlund, like not even close. Suter would have somewhat interested me as a Jarnkrok-esque $2M player, but he's not on Granlund's level. Detroit paid a premium there, but they have room to pay that premium and presumably don't see themselves as competing for a playoff spot yet, it was fine for them. Not for us.

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I am sad to see Hakanpaa signed by Dallas. He was low-key a guy who kind of impressed me for Carolina. I guess our guys will be crashing into him again for the next 3 years. :(

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I am sad to see Hakanpaa signed by Dallas. He was low-key a guy who kind of impressed me for Carolina. I guess our guys will be crashing into him again for the next 3 years. :(

I really like Hakanpää as well and wouldn't have minded if we had signed him. Dallas' D core is looking really stout..

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Anyone else think Sakic way overpaid for Kuemper? 1st+ Timmons seems high for what goalies have been going for.
He did, but he didn't have much of a choice since he waited too long and there were no goalies left to get. The Avs had no goalie, the UFA market was done, and I don't know if there was any other starter on the trade market. Arizona has been rumored to be shopping Kuemper for quite a long time now, but I guess they massively lucked out on the timing here.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought today was the deadline for filing for Salary Arbitration? :dunno:

I'm not seeing much about that anywhere, is the deadline some other day?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So it was today... just seemed so quiet after the big UFA Frenzy...

I generally think it's a bad-ish sign that Fabbro and Saros are on there. I mean, Saros probably has a pretty good case, since his numbers are great. Fabbro... welllll... if he's not in great favor now, this probably doesn't help.

Most of these cases never actually make it to being heard, of course.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I usually think of filing for arbitration as putting a time limit on negotiations. Neither side wants to go to the arbitration hearing so it's a good way to have it resolved before camp starts.

Reactions: PredsV82

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Interesting

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    785.4 KB · Views: 8

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Edmonton folks.

now with 69.4M in caphit next season with 15 contracts and without Yamamoto and Puljujarvi extensions and relying on a 40 Smith to lead them to glory.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I feel like the NHL is eventually going to look like the NFL where the star players get crazy contracts and everyone else is near league minimum.

The big difference is guaranteed contracts, so if your stars don't perform in the NHL you're going to be hurting.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I feel like the NHL is eventually going to look like the NFL where the star players get crazy contracts and everyone else is near league minimum.

The big difference is guaranteed contracts, so if your stars don't perform in the NHL you're going to be hurting.
And the age of draft picks. In the NFL you can bring guys in for cheap in later rounds that should be able to preform that first year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad