Around the NHL 2021-22

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Dallas just signed Heiskanen to am 8 x 8.25 contract. Yikes!

Hmmm. Seeing that and hearing what Landeskog is reportedly asking, it seems that the star players dont give a rat's that the cap is flat, they want their cake... and I'm guessing this is being driven by the fact that they only got modest percentages of their salaries the past 2 years..

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Hmmm. Seeing that and hearing what Landeskog is reportedly asking, it seems that the star players dont give a rat's that the cap is flat, they want their cake... and I'm guessing this is being driven by the fact that they only got modest percentages of their salaries the past 2 years..

Screw Dallas

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Man his stock has dropped. Would be his 4th team.
It's evidently largely a gamble based on the fact that he's missing the starting third to half of what is the last season on his curent contract and so he may not actually be draft-desirable. Plus a desire to keep Robinson in union blue.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Glass being exempt I guess helps? But the guys analytics is BAD

First, the only analytics you have on him are from Twitter which are about as useful as the banter that any random fan posts on HF.

Second, Glass has had two half NHL Covid seasons worth of development that also involved a big injury and a coaching change. Lots of potential there and 6'2 blue chip prospects don't grow on trees. Hynes is supposed to be a teacher of young players, so this could be exactly the situation Glass needs to take the next step.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
First, the only analytics you have on him are from Twitter which are about as useful as the banter that any random fan posts on HF.

Second, Glass has had two half NHL Covid seasons worth of development that also involved a big injury and a coaching change. Lots of potential there and 6'2 blue chip prospects don't grow on trees. Hynes is supposed to be a teacher of young players, so this could be exactly the situation Glass needs to take the next step.

That's fair. I'm good with the move overall, just not sure Patrick for Glass without a sweetner but I'm ok with it. I'm actually happy with the direction.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

I mean I did pull this from "Twitter" but there is also a highly respected person posting the information:

Note: He doesn't call Glass BAD. Also, he is not taking other factors into account just providing metrics on the players. We're all aware of the salary benefits, potential protection benefits, etc.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I always go back to this when the analytics stuff comes up, I don't know how many times I've posted this on HF but I don't think it can be spread enough.

From the fantastic book "23 to Win"...

23toWin - Book, Hockey, Nhl

Coaches don't want to be shown a breakdown or a mistake -- they can see these for themselves. They want to know why it happened and how to prevent it happening again. They want a report telling them that x percent of the team's zone entries were controlled entries, and that if the rate is subpar, the contributing factors are, for example, that opposing defenses are gapping up against the team's forwards, that the team is not making enough forward passes through the neutral zone, or that the team's not driving up through the neutral zone with enough speed. The goal is to find and exploit flaws in an opponent's system and execution, or to identify and correct deficiencies in a team's own play.

Typically, coaches will be interested in scoring-chance metrics first, followed by puck possession metrics and then the myriad of measurements underlying them, such as battles won or lost ..... the advantage will fall to those who can sense which metrics and trends are important ..... who can then identify and interpret which of them is actionable, and who can communicate - in hockey language - what the data means to coaches and players grounded in the reality and intensity of on-ice competition

The book talks about how NHL teams employ dozens of people (spotters if you will) to track various stats throughout the game. Their internal analytics staff will turn that into data for the coach to utilize at intermission and after games. That is useful analytics because it allows the coach to use data and weigh it against the gameplan to measure outcomes and make adjustments. I had the chance to ask Jack Han about this, (analytics guy, former coach with the Marlies, hockey tactics author) and he says the twitter guys have like 20% of the info that an NHL analytics staff has. So sure, twitter gets some things right, but so do those of us who just know how to watch hockey. But these things should definitely not be taken as gospel or leaned on nearly as heavily as they are by so many fans in hockey discussion circles such as HF.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I always go back to this when the analytics stuff comes up, I don't know how many times I've posted this on HF but I don't think it can be spread enough.

From the fantastic book "23 to Win"...

23toWin - Book, Hockey, Nhl

The book talks about how NHL teams employ dozens of people (spotters if you will) to track various stats throughout the game. Their internal analytics staff will turn that into data for the coach to utilize at intermission and after games. That is useful analytics because it allows the coach to use data and weigh it against the gameplan to measure outcomes and make adjustments. I had the chance to ask Jack Han about this, (analytics guy, former coach with the Marlies, hockey tactics author) and he says the twitter guys have like 20% of the info that an NHL analytics staff has. So sure, twitter gets some things right, but so do those of us who just know how to watch hockey. But these things should definitely not be taken as gospel or leaned on nearly as heavily as they are by so many fans in hockey discussion circles such as HF.
Keep sharing this every time this subject comes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad