Around the NHL 2021-22

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm feeling better and better about the Granlund trade when seeing what the situation is with Fiala in Minnesota. Guy is asking for the Moon, and I don't think he's the guy you want to invest any more than $6 mil.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
At least the guys they pay are performing
Nobody can complain about McDavid and Draisatl, or their contracts, that's for sure.

Kinda looks like they are spending a lot on role players like Kassian, Hyman, Koskinen, Ceci, Barrie, Keith... now Nurse too... some not bad players, some might not be that great, but pretty sure there are better value players in those categories anyway. You can't get any better value than what McDavid and Draisatl are doing. But some of the rest... I guess we'll see.

Jul 12, 2007
NHL is still 1000 miles behind the other sports with salaries, so if they loosen those pocketbooks a little, what the heck.

Jul 12, 2007
Nobody can complain about McDavid and Draisatl, or their contracts, that's for sure.

Kinda looks like they are spending a lot on role players like Kassian, Hyman, Koskinen, Ceci, Barrie, Keith... now Nurse too... some not bad players, some might not be that great, but pretty sure there are better value players in those categories anyway. You can't get any better value than what McDavid and Draisatl are doing. But some of the rest... I guess we'll see.
I really hope the Oilers win something soon after all the drama of all time busts, fabulous picks, historic talents, their legacy, etc.
They’re a great study in what it takes to put together a cup winner. What puts a team over the top ?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Ekholm wants near that much, I don’t think we will be able to keep him. GMs this off-season are handing out stupid contracts to dmen
I mean, nobody should question that Ekholm is better than Nurse. But at the same time, we shouldn't base contracts on the dumbest-common-denominator? :dunno:

If we had to bring Ekholm back at $7.5M, I honestly think he's worth that. And we have ample cap space to do so. I just continue to hope maybe they have a way to bring in a lower number that gives us more room to do other things with the lineup. But if not... so be it, we NEED Ekholm.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
I mean, nobody should question that Ekholm is better than Nurse. But at the same time, we shouldn't base contracts on the dumbest-common-denominator? :dunno:

If we had to bring Ekholm back at $7.5M, I honestly think he's worth that. And we have ample cap space to do so. I just continue to hope maybe they have a way to bring in a lower number that gives us more room to do other things with the lineup. But if not... so be it, we NEED Ekholm.
I think it will take at least that, and probably for at least 6-8 years. You’re right; we need Ekholm. Another 8 year deal would be tough though.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

I think it will take at least that, and probably for at least 6-8 years. You’re right; we need Ekholm. Another 8 year deal would be tough though.
It's crazy to think so many people, a vast majority, were ready to ship him out last year. Just goes to show what twitter knows.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It's crazy to think so many people, a vast majority, were ready to ship him out last year. Just goes to show what twitter knows.
I was fully on board with trading him, but we were also looking at a top 5 pick, the potential for a bidding war, and it didn't look like Ellis could (or would) be traded. With that change in circumstances, depending on contract wants, it seems a no-brainer now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean I open with the Ellis deal basically 6-6.5 and see what they think. If they ask for 7 to me you do it and move on. If the ask is 9+ then I don't think you have a choice but to move on and start thinking about a much bigger rebuild.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I was fully on board with trading him, but we were also looking at a top 5 pick, the potential for a bidding war, and it didn't look like Ellis could (or would) be traded. With that change in circumstances, depending on contract wants, it seems a no-brainer now.
I guess that's kinda my point. I don't know if it was Canadian media driven or idiotic vignan media driven but the whole concept of building a future Preds defense around Josi and Ellis is mind numbingly bad. If Ekholm went at the trade deadline you might as well have traded Forsberg and everyone else you possibly could because Ekholm being gone signals to every player that you're going full Buffalo and you should never go full Buffalo.

And that brings us back to the horrible theory that tanking is how you rebuild a team. If that's what was driving the concept of trading Ekholm then I guess there's no rational discussion I can have with people anymore, I've worn myself out with that topic.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Players and their union are likely to look at the Nurse deal as the next incremental step forward in pay. I expect many teams to view it as the latest in Edmonton's continuing missteps from the front office that have them still languishing after a decade of high draft picks bringing in some of the league's top offensive talent. If the cap stays relatively flat, few defenders will get that type of money to include those that might actually deserve it and it will result in contentious negotiations.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ekholm is good but I dont think he warrants top pair money. 7 million max AAV.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He's the second most valuable defensmen on the team and has been the best all around defensmen on the team for awhile now. All of that at a discounted rate.

I'd love to keep him but not at 8x9+. That would hamstring the hell out of us if Tomasino, Tolvanen, Fabbro, and Carrier all play well enough to warrant big money in 2 or 3 years. Hes 31 years old, remember.

Reactions: hockey diva

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'd love to keep him but not at 8x9+. That would hamstring the hell out of us if Tomasino, Tolvanen, Fabbro, and Carrier all play well enough to warrant big money in 2 or 3 years. Hes 31 years old, remember.
I'm not advocating 8x9. His value is probably in the 7ish range but would like to see 6ish and term should be 5 years at most.

Reactions: PredsV82

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I guess that's kinda my point. I don't know if it was Canadian media driven or idiotic vignan media driven but the whole concept of building a future Preds defense around Josi and Ellis is mind numbingly bad. If Ekholm went at the trade deadline you might as well have traded Forsberg and everyone else you possibly could because Ekholm being gone signals to every player that you're going full Buffalo and you should never go full Buffalo.

And that brings us back to the horrible theory that tanking is how you rebuild a team. If that's what was driving the concept of trading Ekholm then I guess there's no rational discussion I can have with people anymore, I've worn myself out with that topic.
No one is asking to go full Buffalo. Our team still has the veteran leadership to not allow that to happen. But playing young players this year could very well make us have a top 10 or 5 pick or if we’re lucky winning the number 1 overall. Yea wishful thinking but nothing more than hoping last year we could win the lafreniere sweepstake. Gives our young guys a season under their belt and some more developing.
As much as people complain about johansen he was a key contributor to going to the cup and winning the presidents cup. Without him we probably would of never made as far as we did in those years. Well we would of never got johansen is we didn’t have a lackluster season and was able to draft Jones at 4. (Man I wish barkov would of fell) Anyway 2 years later after drafting Jones and making the trade we were in the cup final.
I’m happy with what poile has done this off-season with getting some good value for Ellis. I liked Ellis but his play was regressing and that contract is gonna look horrible in a few years. The arvi trade was alright I wish we could of got more for him but since the Bortuzzo hit he hasnt been the same and getting what we could this off-season was a good move. Not going after big free agents was big in my eyes for poile. He had the cap space and I know he had to be itching to get one of the big names butI’m glad he held firm. I think getting younger was a must and I’m glad poile finally made up his mind to do just that. I think we have a young core to be special. I think Myers with the right training(watching josi and ekholm) could be a solid 2. I think Vegas gave up on glass to soon. He had some injuries and just didn’t get the opportunity in Vegas and I believe he could turn in a number 1 one day with the right opportunity and developing which he’ll get here. Tomasino should get the opportunity this year to show what he has.
I think this team has the potential to make a run this year and be a playoff team which I would be extremely excited about because we would be ahead of the curve. But we could also see some growing pains and be a lottery team and maybe luck into a top 5 pick and get another contributor to our young roster which wouldn’t be horrible either. Nothing wrong with looking at both sides of the coin and being alright with either. If we’re a playoff team or close to it then that means our young players contributed in a big way which would be incredible. If we play decent but have some growing pains with our young roster which is expected or a injury to one or two of our veterans then we end up a lottery team that’s alright too.
Last year when we were bad at the beginning of the year and looking at a top 5 pick I was disappointed that we were playing so terribly but on the other hand we was gonna get a good player to help our team down the road so I was good with that . I wasn’t disappointed when we started winning because going on a run like that is what most fans want to see. It was a great ride and we didn’t lay over and be pushed around by a top team. We keep swinging and was leading in the 3rd in the final 2 games which we could of won and advanced to the 2nd round but we fell short but I was still optimistic about our future and excited about things to come.
In 2 short years we went from one of the worst prospect pools to a top 10 team for top prospects.
L'Heureux Glass Tomasino
Tolvenan Svechkov Afanasyev
Parssinen Novak Pitlick
This could be a pretty solid top 9
I’m excited about this season and hopeful that this team can make some noise and I’ll be cheering them on if they do. But if they lose close games and play decent it’s expected to see some growing pains in what is close to one of the youngest roster in the league now. If we luck up and win the lottery then that will put another huge piece to our already young team

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
All these big contracts are players still in their mid to late 20s so with ekholm being 32 when his next contract starts it has to drive the price down a little. If I’m poile I’m giving ekholm a front loaded contract where he gets most of his money upfront to show appreciation for all he has done and being on a great deal before

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad