Around the NHL 2021-22

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
A couple of our castoffs got some cash and term.

Freddie Gadreau 2 yr x1.2 mil from Minny

Tinordi 2 yr x 900k from the Rangers

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dunno how folks outside of here can really criticize the Granlund deal after seeing some of these others like Danault, Coleman, Hyman, Wennberg.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I love how media types refer to contract negotiations during 364 other days of the year with terminology like "working hard towards..." and things drag out over weeks.

Then in 3hrs on a single day at the end of July more than 100 contracts are signed.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I wonder how much of a comparable Ned:s extension with Detroit is to Saros? I know I wouldn't go above 3x3 for Saros.

Fabbro is another interesting one. I'm going to guess a bridge deal around $3.25 but hard to say. Not a lot of great comparables out there right now.

I know I may seem like I hate Poile, but I really don't. What I struggle with sometimes with Poile is his stubborn loyalty at times. That's a great asset but it's also a bit risk when change is needed.

I'm also not sure I wouldn't prefer Tyler Johnson and a second to bringing Granlund in, but again, that isn't the kind of move I think Poile is willing to make.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I wonder how much of a comparable Ned:s extension with Detroit is to Saros? I know I wouldn't go above 3x3 for Saros.

Fabbro is another interesting one. I'm going to guess a bridge deal around $3.25 but hard to say. Not a lot of great comparables out there right now.

I know I may seem like I hate Poile, but I really don't. What I struggle with sometimes with Poile is his stubborn loyalty at times. That's a great asset but it's also a bit risk when change is needed.

I'm also not sure I wouldn't prefer Tyler Johnson and a second to bringing Granlund in, but again, that isn't the kind of move I think Poile is willing to make.

I think Granlund is the guy Hynes wants to use to carry his message to these young guys. It wouldn't be suprising to see him with a letter this year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Granlund is the guy Hynes wants to use to carry his message to these young guys. It wouldn't be suprising to see him with a letter this year.
Yep, we were already rotating with Joey, Ekholm, Forsberg, Ellis, right? He gets Ellis' spot in the rotation at least.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I'd go less on Fabbro...3x$2.75M? 2x$2.25M? I see the upside but I think he took a step back last year (after starting strong early).

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

WTF? The trade for Tyler Johnson isnt a matter of Poile being "willing" to make it, he couldnt possibly have made it because we dont have an LTIR contract to send back the other way.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
WTF? The trade for Tyler Johnson isnt a matter of Poile being "willing" to make it, he couldnt possibly have made it because we dont have an LTIR contract to send back the other way.

Why would we have needed a LTIR contract to send the other way? I’m pretty sure Seabrook was just included to balance out the real money owed to players not any sort of cap consideration.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yep, we were already rotating with Joey, Ekholm, Forsberg, Ellis, right? He gets Ellis' spot in the rotation at least.
I think Ellis always had an A when he was healthy being that he was the associate captain. So the other shared time with one A while he was healthy and two As when hurt.

Ekholm should have a permanent A now and I could see the other one going to Granlund. Joey and Forsberg shouldn't have an A in my opinion.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Why would we have needed a LTIR contract to send the other way? I’m pretty sure Seabrook was just included to balance out the real money owed to players not any sort of cap consideration.

I just know what the deal was and we dont possess anything like the piece that got sent to Tampa. And if would could have had that deal just for futures and we didnt I suspect it's because Johnson is 2 years older than Granny and Poile preferred to spend his money on someone younger and a more known commodity to Hynes

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I just know what the deal was and we dont possess anything like the piece that got sent to Tampa. And if would could have had that deal just for futures and we didnt I suspect it's because Johnson is 2 years older than Granny and Poile preferred to spend his money on someone younger and a more known commodity to Hynes
One could speculate that poile could have gotten picks to take on the player and contract but there is absolutely no way for us to know what Tampa was willing to do.

Reactions: PredsV82

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

I also read that Seabrook was expected to go LTIR.

Blackhawks get Tyler Johnson, pick from Lightning for Brent Seabrook contract

How this benefits Lightning
Joe Smith, Lightning beat writer: This is a huge boost, and savvy move, by BriseBois to create much-needed cap space on the eve of free agency. Tampa Bay has been trying to deal Johnson and his $5 million cap hit (next three seasons) the last two summers. Now the Lightning has more wiggle room to sign their own RFAs, and it means they might not have to deal Alex Killorn or Ondrej Palat.
They’ll also have the Seabrook contract on LTIR for the rest of his deal. The most valuable commodity in the league is cap space and the Cup champs got a healthy amount of relief for the cost of a 2023 second-round pick.

Basically Tampa gave a 2nd to keep their roster almost entirely intact by being able to leverage LTIR to dance around the cap again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad