Around the NHL 2021-22

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In 2 short years we went from one of the worst prospect pools to a top 10 team for top prospects.
L'Heureux Glass Tomasino
Tolvenan Svechkov Afanasyev
Parssinen Novak Pitlick
This could be a pretty solid top 9
I have to admit, I'm still kind of "enh" about the prospect pool here. I really like Svechkov, and I have some confidence in Pitlick and Tomasino and Avanasyev, but I worry about L'Heureux. It's no longer a constant worry of mine like it used to be but I worry about the lack of (IMO) any real breakout core potential outside of Askarov.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ekholm is good but I dont think he warrants top pair money. 7 million max AAV.
I think he does. It's only because he's behind Josi here that he isn't recognized like that. He'd be #1 LD on many NHL teams.

And I submit: he was better than Josi last season, and more important to what success we had than Josi was. (Not that I expect that to be sustained... but it says something all the same. Partly not a great/injured year for Josi, but also partly "Ekholm is really really good.")

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I still "dare to dream" we get Ekholm for something like 5x$6M, though, that he won't push us to the wall on either term or AAV.

But who knows. He has every right to, if that's the direction he wants to take. Just I dare to dream he'll keep giving us a discount. Maybe that's naive, but it's just kind of what we've been led to believe about him. :dunno:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I have to admit, I'm still kind of "enh" about the prospect pool here. I really like Svechkov, and I have some confidence in Pitlick and Tomasino and Avanasyev, but I worry about L'Heureux. It's no longer a constant worry of mine like it used to be but I worry about the lack of (IMO) any real breakout core potential outside of Askarov.

Same. Askarov is the only prospect we have that I’m high on. Hope I’m wrong but think the forwards are likely middle 6 level tops.

I do have hope with Tomasino but also take last seasons AHL performance with a huge grain of sale due to taxi squad’s pulling so much of the talent.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm feeling better and better about the Granlund trade when seeing what the situation is with Fiala in Minnesota. Guy is asking for the Moon, and I don't think he's the guy you want to invest any more than $6 mil.
Latest I read they may be planning on using Freddie Gaudreau as Fiala's center. :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Same. Askarov is the only prospect we have that I’m high on. Hope I’m wrong but think the forwards are likely middle 6 level tops. Hope I’m wrong.

I do have hope with Tomasino but also take last seasons AHL performance with a huge grain of sale due to taxi squad’s pulling so much of the talent.
Well, there is the practical, realistic "grain of salt", and at the same time... as a fan, I really like our top 10 or so prospects right now, and usually I get really optimistic and hopeful about our good ones.

It's unlikely we even get 5 NHL players out of our current total prospect list, of course, that's just the way it goes everywhere. But it's just so much fun that we can list 20 names now that we can at least be hopeful about to varying extents.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

That is a heckuva big vote of confidence by the Flyers after the terrible season Hart is coming off of. I think it's fair for them to do that, it shows the struggling young player that they do believe in him, and that may take some pressure off him and help boost his confidence in ways that could actually help him play better on the ice.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
That is a heckuva big vote of confidence by the Flyers after the terrible season Hart is coming off of. I think it's fair for them to do that, it shows the struggling young player that they do believe in him, and that may take some pressure off him and help boost his confidence in ways that could actually help him play better on the ice.
Maybe the term being 3 years Hart wanted a little more AAV if they'd given im 4-5 they may have got in there for 3.25 or 3. But yes, it's a big question mark, he didn't exactly light it up in any of his previous 2 seasons.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
According to most fancy stats, team defense let Hart out to dry a lot of the year... hard to say though. Sophomore lumps are a real thing in the league. He's been very good for a goalie as young as he is.

My ideal solution would be to give Saros one year at $4.5-5M as a prove it, but we will see.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Askarov might be enough to single handedly pull us up to the top 10 mark. He is very heavily weighted in our pool when scouting services do their team pool rankings. I think our skaters would be league average. I know you can't just discount our best prospect, but at the same time it kind of feels like 2 different prospect pools. Goalies and Skaters.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Fiala got exactly what Fiala needs; a 1 year deal. So that every year he’ll play his tail off for the next deal. Otherwise……

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
How do the Corey Perry jinx and the Pat Maroon rabbit's foot play out this year with both the downward and upward horseshoes hanging on the same wall in Tampa?

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
King Henrik has retired.

Him and Rinne have astonishingly similar stat lines. 2.43 gaa, .918 s% for Henrik, and .917 for Rinne. 1 vezina apiece, 6 nominations for henrik, 4 for Rinne. 1 cup Stanley cup finals appearance, same age. Lundqvist does about 200 more games played though.

Yet Lundqvist is universally regarded as the better goaltender. Must be a New York thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad