Around the NHL 2021-22

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I have no interest in Johnson but it would make no sense for Tampa not to do the deal because we couldn’t send them a contract they have to pay for no benefit. You think their ownership prefers to pay Seabrook $21 million for nothing?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I also read that Seabrook was expected to go LTIR.

Blackhawks get Tyler Johnson, pick from Lightning for Brent Seabrook contract

Basically Tampa gave a 2nd to keep their roster almost entirely intact by being about to leverage LTIR to dance around the cap again.

Yeah Seabrook announced his retirement last year although he isn’t officially retired. Adding Seabrook to that deal is just another plus for Chicago by not having to pay him the rest of his contract.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I have no interest in Johnson but it would make no sense for Tampa not to do the deal because we couldn’t send them a contract they have to pay for no benefit. You think their ownership prefers to pay Seabrook $21 million for nothing?
So looking at it more you just have to figure Poile had no interest in Johnson since he's passed over him for the last two summers. Probably knew he was signing Granlund no matter what the media was saying.

Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So looking at it more you just have to figure Poile had no interest in Johnson since he's passed over him for the last two summers. Probably knew he was signing Granlund no matter what the media was saying.

Thats fine and probably true and I agree with that choice. I’m just saying that the argument we couldn’t have made the trade because we didn’t have an LTIR contract to trade doesn’t make any sense. People love to argue about things they imply the other people believe way too much on here sometimes.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Thats fine and probably true and I agree with that choice. I’m just saying that the argument we couldn’t have made the trade because we didn’t have an LTIR contract to trade doesn’t make any sense. People love to argue about things they imply the other people believe way too much on here sometimes.

I'm interested in understanding why you believe the LTIR contract doesn't make sense. Everyone I have read who has analyzed this trade believes the opposite.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm interested in understanding why you believe the LTIR contract doesn't make sense. Everyone I have read who has analyzed this trade believes the opposite.

What do you mean? It makes sense as a sweetener for Chicago for sure. It doesn’t make sense that Tampa would prefer to have it included. If it wasn’t added all that happens to Tampa is they don’t have to use some of their LTIR space for him and pay him actual dollars.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
What do you mean? It makes sense as a sweetener for Chicago for sure. It doesn’t make sense that Tampa would prefer to have it included. If it wasn’t added all that happens to Tampa is they don’t have to use some of their LTIR space for him and pay him actual dollars.

Do you understand TBL's cap crunch? This specifically gave them a way to dump Tyler Johnson's contract and the one coming back to them will not count towards their cap hit. I don't understand why this does not make sense to you?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Do you understand TBL's cap crunch? This specifically gave them a way to dump Tyler Johnson's contract and the one coming back to them will not count towards their cap hit. I don't understand why this does not make sense to you?

Yes I understand and I get why they made the trade. Im saying Tyler Johnson plus a second for nothing in return is better than Tyler Johnson plus a second for Seabrook.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yes I understand and I get why they made the trade. Im saying Tyler Johnson plus a second for nothing in return is better than Tyler Johnson plus a second for Seabrook.
Or to speculate, the Preds could have gotten Johnson a 2nd and a 4th (or something like that) since they wouldn't be sending anuthing back.

Of course that's speculation and we have no idea what was said between the two GMs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tampa in the end gave up no 1sts to escape their predicament. They have about $2.8M left to sign Colton, Barre-Boulet, and Foote. Just about exactly right. Lost Coleman, Goodrow, and Gourde to free agency/Seattle. And only paid a 2nd pick to move Johnson. Chicago helped them get off a little light. Oh well.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

But the initial point was that Poile "didnt make that kind of trade" when on the face of it there was no such opportunity for that trade. So even if after further reflection that trade was possible but didnt happen, it wasnt because "Poile doesnt make that kind of trade" it was because Poile didnt think the player was one we needed, which is a different point altogether

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thankfully we haven't yet reached the point of becoming the dumping grounds for bad contracts from competitive teams. I don't doubt fans of some of those other teams will come sniffing around when they realize we have $11M in cap space and think we are "rebuilding" or whatever just because we traded some surplus vets like Ellis and Arvy. That is coming. But hopefully it is just those over-eager fans sniffing around. Because it'll be a dark day if we ever actually do become one of those dumping-ground teams.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Thankfully we haven't yet reached the point of becoming the dumping grounds for bad contracts from competitive teams. I don't doubt fans of some of those other teams will come sniffing around when they realize we have $11M in cap space and think we are "rebuilding" or whatever just because we traded some surplus vets like Ellis and Arvy. That is coming. But hopefully it is just those over-eager fans sniffing around. Because it'll be a dark day if we ever actually do become one of those dumping-ground teams.
Technically Chicago isn't a dumbing ground team....as of now.

They're trying for one last gasp out of the spoils they gained from the last time they were worst in the league and those move might be exactly what send them down that road again.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Technically Chicago isn't a dumbing ground team....as of now.

They're trying for one last gasp out of the spoils they gained from the last time they were worst in the league and those move might be exactly what send them down that road again.
They might be trying something... but they took Johnson and Fleury, contracts that competitive teams were trying to dump. Perhaps there is a special category for being an unwitting dumping ground.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
They might be trying something... but they took Johnson and Fleury, contracts that competitive teams were trying to dump. Perhaps there is a special category for being an unwitting dumping ground.
Unwitting dumping ground is exactly what I was trying to convey. They just don't realize it yet.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
WTF? The trade for Tyler Johnson isnt a matter of Poile being "willing" to make it, he couldnt possibly have made it because we dont have an LTIR contract to send back the other way.

I hear you, but didn't Poile just last week say he wasn't willing to take on bad contracts, even if there is payment? I seem to remember him saying that.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Outside of real $$$ there could be advantages to having the extra LTIR contract. There is no telling what they have planned so maybe, to them, that contract IS more valuable than just not taking anything in return.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Outside of real $$$ there could be advantages to having the extra LTIR contract. There is no telling what they have planned so maybe, to them, that contract IS more valuable than just not taking anything in return.
I don’t know the insurance situation, but I can’t believe that any minor advantage is worth giving away $16.5 million or 14.5 if this year’s bonus is paid (btw, that’s like 2/3 of their expansion take for which they gave Gourde).

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad