Around the NHL 2021-22

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Interesting thought, but I'll pass. I have a feeling we will be drafting at least in the top-15 the next two years so I want to see that card rather than giving up the Moon for Pettersson.
Yeah knowing our luck those would be the two years we win the lottery too

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can you say 'Arizona tank'? Arizona has 3 1sts and 5 2nds next yr
It's probably the most blatant tank job I've seen in recent memory. Let us not forget they have the likes of Andrew Ladd, Louie Eriksson, Jay Beagle, Antoine Roussel, and Anton Stralman also in that lineup, and no NHL calibre goalies on the roster. And 12 players headed to unrestricted free agency after this season.

I can't see how Bettman bails them out of this one. Maybe if they draft well enough, whoever the buyer is in Kansas City or Houston or wherever will still pay something for them? Houston has changed a lot, I guess, when I first moved there in the early 90s I could never have dreamed they'd be remotely able to support an NHL team. But times are changing, maybe it would fly, who knows. :dunno:

At least they're in our division now. :handclap:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Canadians fans responses to this whole ordeal is interesting. They let Danault walk, then JK got poached by carolina, then they traded a 1st and a 2nd (more than what they got for the JK offersheet) for Dvorak… someone who’s best season was a 45 point pace but has never managed to break 40 points in a season and they’re hailing this as an upgrade

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Canadians fans responses to this whole ordeal is interesting. They let Danault walk, then JK got poached by carolina, then they traded a 1st and a 2nd (more than what they got for the JK offersheet) for Dvorak… someone who’s best season was a 45 point pace but has never managed to break 40 points in a season and they’re hailing this as an upgrade
Dvorak is a definite upgrade on Kotkaniemi. I don't think they factor Danault into that, his loss was a totally separate issue. And there's no way I would want Danault on that contract he got, so... even without directly replacing him, I don't blame them for letting that contract walk. Sometimes you don't quickly find the right replacement in that situtation, but it's not like it should matter to them anyway, right? They probably aren't making the playoffs this year with Danault or without him, with the upgrade of Dvorak over KK or without it. When you're in that situation, it's not a huge disaster to audition some other players, and if that doesn't work, just look at next year's free agents instead. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
cap 6.8 Million, salary 850K, 30 goals. I'd take him for a 2nd
Arizona probably likes that salary situation. I guess they would have given him away for free if there had been any takers before paying his bonus. Now that's paid, they probably just wait until the trade deadline.

I still wouldn't take him for free, let alone give up a 2nd! Our roster is full.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Arizona probably likes that salary situation. I guess they would have given him away for free if there had been any takers before paying his bonus. Now that's paid, they probably just wait until the trade deadline.

I still wouldn't take him for free, let alone give up a 2nd! Our roster is full.

It depends on the need for goals

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Dvorak is a definite upgrade on Kotkaniemi. I don't think they factor Danault into that, his loss was a totally separate issue. And there's no way I would want Danault on that contract he got, so... even without directly replacing him, I don't blame them for letting that contract walk. Sometimes you don't quickly find the right replacement in that situtation, but it's not like it should matter to them anyway, right? They probably aren't making the playoffs this year with Danault or without him, with the upgrade of Dvorak over KK or without it. When you're in that situation, it's not a huge disaster to audition some other players, and if that doesn't work, just look at next year's free agents instead. :dunno:
Dvorak is an upgrade, perhaps, in the short term. Kotkaniemi is only 20 years old, so it's way too soon to call him a bust. He should actually fit Brind'Amour's system well.

Then there is the other side of what you said. Unless one is wearing Catalina blue and wine red colored glasses, Montreal doesn't really look poised to do much of anything immediately. They were a middle of the pack team, lost more than they won, and were the last team in the playoffs. They were painted into a corner, and gave up on a 3rd overall pick because he didn't heat up faster than a hot pocket. Picking up a solid mid-6 center who is better at the moment but has a lower ceiling is a small horizon upgrade, but longer term it is certainly questionable. Bergevin has said he's all in to win the Cup this year, which also gives us an idea of where he thinks his team is at the moment—realistic or not.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Dvorak is an upgrade for now but has likely peaked as a 40-50 point center. Kotkaniemi is 4 years younger and has the potential to be better. So i guess if Montreal wanted to "be better" this season and perhaps next at 2C then they've achieved that. Having Dvorak at 2 C is much like having Granlund at 2C. It works but it's not really good enough for a cup team.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dvorak is an upgrade for now but has likely peaked as a 40-50 point center. Kotkaniemi is 4 years younger and has the potential to be better. So i guess if Montreal wanted to "be better" this season and perhaps next at 2C then they've achieved that. Having Dvorak at 2 C is much like having Granlund at 2C. It works but it's not really good enough for a cup team.
As some of us have already mentioned "good enough for a Cup team" is not remotely on the board. Montreal won't be in the playoffs for a long time, regardless of any of these changes.

Anyway, I think Dvorak will surprise you naysayers. But also Kotkaniemi should flourish outside the Montreal environment. Probably the player that emerges in Carolina is going to be a lot better than if that player had stayed in Montreal, so it will become difficult to truly compare them in the long run. People will anyway. Nevertheless, I think Montreal got a player who will be better in Montreal for the next 4 years than Kotkaniemi would have been in Montreal over those same 4 years. And at the same time Carolina will end up with the better player overall. But it's more nuanced than most people are bothering to notice.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Gudbranson signs with Calgary. I am kind of happy with this signing, because I know Poile is secretly watching clips of him trying to avoid the temptation of resigning. "Ohhhh Myyylanta, he is so tall and strong"

Reactions: GoldOnGold

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Gudbranson signs with Calgary. I am kind of happy with this signing, because I know Poile is secretly watching clips of him trying to avoid the temptation of resigning. "Ohhhh Myyylanta, he is so tall and strong"
Yeah, I thought he "looked like an NHL player" at least, with us. We didn't need him. We have more than enough bodies on D. But I was a little surprised he hadn't already signed somewhere. I guess he was holding out a bit. $1.95M is a bit extreme, since he's really just a big 3rd-pair guy. But kudos to him for continuing to cash in on his draft pedigree. :dunno:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We seem to have come to a groupthink consensus that the RD lineup is kind of set as...

Carrier
Fabbro
Myers

But I think this might end up being one of the most interesting positions to watch this season. Myers has a lot more ability and potential than we have been giving him credit for since the trade and I think a lot of that naturally comes from a familiarity with our established players. However, I believe Myers has a chance to really blossom here in an environment that he has never experienced before which is a more defensive system and the mentorship of two superstar defensemen in Josi and Ekholm. Previously he was coming up (with great anticipation to become a good 2RD or low 1Rd) on a young Flyers squad and the only real veterans he played with were the final season of Niskanen's career which was COVID shortened, and a half COVID season with Braun, neither of which are near the level of blueliner that we boast here currently.

Some additional thoughts include that Carrier situation. He was able to play next to Josi last season for a 19+6 game stretch and didn't look out of place. I understand why, and don't disagree totally, we are penciling him in on that 1st pair again. However I'm cautious with that because of a few situation I've followed in the past such as Zach Trotman coming up next to Zdeno Chara and Jake Dotchin coming up next to Victor Hedman. Both looked like sure 1st pairing players yet fizzled the next season and became spare call-up pieces. I'm not saying Carrier will follow that path, but there is certainly reasons not to anoint him just yet.

Besides that, we actually have 4 capable skaters at the RD spot now, but we've mostly forgotten about Benning who is entirely capable at 3D. Then there's Fabbro and exactly what if any injury he had at the end of the season, if he's healthy his progression could press the issue as well.

This is to say, we could be set with Carrier-Fabbro-Myers down that side, but I have a feeling that we'll see all three of them on various lines throughout the season. Plus with injuries and Benning in the mix, that RD position could really be one of the more interesting storylines throughout the year. It should be exciting and the quality of competition at that spot will be a good thing for these young defensemen and the team overall.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
However I'm cautious with that because of a few situation I've followed in the past such as Zach Trotman coming up next to Zdeno Chara and Jake Dotchin coming up next to Victor Hedman. Both looked like sure 1st pairing players yet fizzled the next season and became spare call-up pieces. I'm not saying Carrier will follow that path, but there is certainly reasons not to anoint him just yet.

We can look at our own history and see Blum. It's not the same situation, but there are similarities with expectations after a short yet strong sample size.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
We seem to have come to a groupthink consensus that the RD lineup is kind of set as...

Carrier
Fabbro
Myers

But I think this might end up being one of the most interesting positions to watch this season. Myers has a lot more ability and potential than we have been giving him credit for since the trade and I think a lot of that naturally comes from a familiarity with our established players. However, I believe Myers has a chance to really blossom here in an environment that he has never experienced before which is a more defensive system and the mentorship of two superstar defensemen in Josi and Ekholm. Previously he was coming up (with great anticipation to become a good 2RD or low 1Rd) on a young Flyers squad and the only real veterans he played with were the final season of Niskanen's career which was COVID shortened, and a half COVID season with Braun, neither of which are near the level of blueliner that we boast here currently.

Some additional thoughts include that Carrier situation. He was able to play next to Josi last season for a 19+6 game stretch and didn't look out of place. I understand why, and don't disagree totally, we are penciling him in on that 1st pair again. However I'm cautious with that because of a few situation I've followed in the past such as Zach Trotman coming up next to Zdeno Chara and Jake Dotchin coming up next to Victor Hedman. Both looked like sure 1st pairing players yet fizzled the next season and became spare call-up pieces. I'm not saying Carrier will follow that path, but there is certainly reasons not to anoint him just yet.

Besides that, we actually have 4 capable skaters at the RD spot now, but we've mostly forgotten about Benning who is entirely capable at 3D. Then there's Fabbro and exactly what if any injury he had at the end of the season, if he's healthy his progression could press the issue as well.

This is to say, we could be set with Carrier-Fabbro-Myers down that side, but I have a feeling that we'll see all three of them on various lines throughout the season. Plus with injuries and Benning in the mix, that RD position could really be one of the more interesting storylines throughout the year. It should be exciting and the quality of competition at that spot will be a good thing for these young defensemen and the team overall.
I think a bigger body like Myers is exactly what you might want with Josi if he can keep up.
Ekholm was gushing about playing with Carrier, don't know how much his input matters but it seems he'd like to be paired with Carrier.
And, as you said, it seems foolish to count Benning out so when you throw Fabbro in there it should be an interesting competition.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think a bigger body like Myers is exactly what you might want with Josi if he can keep up.
Ekholm was gushing about playing with Carrier, don't know how much his input matters but it seems he'd like to be paired with Carrier.
And, as you said, it seems foolish to count Benning out so when you throw Fabbro in there it should be an interesting competition.
They let Carrier ripen on the vine. He looked smooth and polished coming in.

Fabbro and Myers got plucked early and are ripening in the window. They've had some ups and downs.

I'm not counting Benning out any more. He had a rough start coming over from Edmonton, but seemed to find his Predator mojo as the season went along. He may not have a high ceiling, but he's establishing himself as a dependable professional who the coaches can put out on the ice without nervously twitching in panic behind the bench.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
They let Carrier ripen on the vine. He looked smooth and polished coming in.

Fabbro and Myers got plucked early and are ripening in the window. They've had some ups and downs.

I'm not counting Benning out any more. He had a rough start coming over from Edmonton, but seemed to find his Predator mojo as the season went along. He may not have a high ceiling, but he's establishing himself as a dependable professional who the coaches can put out on the ice without nervously twitching in panic behind the bench.
Yep, in my mind it's between Fabbro and Myers for the spot next to Josi. He needs someone that can end plays in the Dzone without crosschecking until they take a penalty.

Reactions: triggrman

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Yep, in my mind it's between Fabbro and Myers for the spot next to Josi. He needs someone that can end plays in the Dzone without crosschecking until they take a penalty.
Who is going to play with Josi is a pending question. How recovered Josi is from late last year is a bigger question. I remain worried about his health. Been a lot of silence about that but, hey, it’s the Preds.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I also am a bit reserved concerning Carrier. He looked fine, but it was only for 15 games and with Ellis still taking up the spotlight at RD. I think we may be doing a mistake putting him out there as the 1RD, and overloading him like we did with Fabbro.

Right now, I am unsure who is our 1RD. I think Fabbro needs some time to mature on the third pair. Myers has his issues but could be a good complement to Josi. Carrier holds the spot right now, but has very limited experience. Benning is a good depth option, but is 4th in the pecking order as is.

I am hopeful with Farrance. He looked promising in the two games and was dominant in the Rookie Camp. He might be a good depth option as a more skilled guy, but ultimately I think he could use a full year in the AHL before making the jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad