Around the NHL 2021-22

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wow, gotta respect that Carolina offersheet. :laugh:

NHL could use a little of that spice.

Maybe it'll start something. Could maybe offsheet Yamamoto for the top end of the 2nd (4.1M). Other than that Canucks (Pettersson and Hughes), the rest are on teams with lots of capspace. I guess we could offersheet Nolan Patrick.... would be kindof funny.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It probably wouldn't really help us if the league adopted more of a wild west attitude to poaching RFAs. Since we're a developing team with young players coming up (who might be targets) and with several foundational long-term big contracts already in place. We do have lots of cap space in the short-term, but it would only take a couple of predatory offersheets to demolish that.

Still, Carolina did it in a fun and clearly vengeful way, so even just as a one-off it's a nice time to add that little bit of drama to this slowest stretch in the off-season.
:handclap:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Preds still haven't signed Tolvanen....

actual poll option in Montreal boards. If KK goes trade over paid players for Ryan Johansen

and a couple of Habs fans want Johansen because he would be a match with their wingers

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'd rather keep Johansen or Duchene than most of the crap Montreal would offer back. They at least have the talent/potential to be 50+ point players and their cap hits are probably not causing us issues before their terms are over. If they're locker room problems, on the other hand...

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't want to hear those offers. :confused:
No kidding. We know the kind of garbage Habs fans were offering for Ekholm or Forsberg when they were allegedly on the block--bunch of shit dressed up as fantastic value (oh, and the Weber recapture). Could you imagine the offers for players perceived to have no/negative value? No thanks, pass.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
No kidding. We know the kind of garbage Habs fans were offering for Ekholm or Forsberg when they were allegedly on the block--bunch of shit dressed up as fantastic value (oh, and the Weber recapture). Could you imagine the offers for players perceived to have no/negative value? No thanks, pass.

I agree with all y'all.

"Nashville can eat 50% of Johansen."

"f*** you and your original 6 bullshit!"

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Someone needs to tell me how to say "DEEZ NUTS" in French when the trade proposals start showing up...

va te faire voir per google.

If the person making the proposal screams 'TABERNAK!' You are making progress. :D

Sad thing is Nashville and Montreal would make great trade partners. But I do NOT want to help Berg and the owner of shitty beer.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
va te faire voir per google.

If the person making the proposal screams 'TABERNAK!' You are making progress. :D

Sad thing is Nashville and Montreal would make great trade partners. But I do NOT want to help Berg and the owner of shitty beer.
Would we though? We basically need higher-end forwards and Montreal doesn't have a ton of those at the NHL level nor in their pipeline.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Would we though? We basically need higher-end forwards and Montreal doesn't have a ton of those at the NHL level nor in their pipeline.

Montreal needs defense to play at NHL level; Preds have that in spades. Montreal needs 2nd center, Preds have that, sadly, in spades. If Nashville decides to go young, Montreal has picks. Montreal has a lot of goal first wings, Nashville will need that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Montreal needs defense to play at NHL level; Preds have that in spades. Montreal needs 2nd center, Preds have that, sadly, in spades. If Nashville decides to go young, Montreal has picks. Montreal has a lot of goal first wings, Nashville will need that.
Who though? Caufield and Suzuki are the only interesting pieces from that forward group, and neither of those are getting traded in this type of deal. If we had wanted Toffoli or Hoffman, we would have pursued them in free agency. Their forward prospect pool isn't that exciting.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Montreal doesn't have cap room though. It'll have to be cap in = cap out or we'll have to take additional caphit. Trades would have to be something like Duchene for Paul Byron + Josh Anderson/Jonathan Drouin. I'd rather keep Joey than Duchene just because he's better defensively. Then again Glass is supposed to be a puck distributor so Glass could end up being a good Joey replacement in time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Montreal doesn't have cap room though. It'll have to be cap in = cap out or we'll have to take additional caphit. Trades would have to be something like Duchene for Paul Byron + Josh Anderson/Jonathan Drouin. I'd rather keep Joey than Duchene just because he's better defensively. Then again Glass is supposed to be a puck distributor so Glass could end up being a good Joey replacement in time.
The bolded is... well, don't post that on the mains or you'd get slaughtered. Anderson is still a pretty valuable player up there; Drouin is in the "we're desperately trying to convince people he still has value" cap dump phase.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
You can keep Johansen and over pay him by approximately 2 million dollars or trade him and retain the 2 million he's overpaid so the new team only spends what he's worth. Not sure I follow this logic unless you are getting a legitimate top offensive talent in return.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You can keep Johansen and over pay him by approximately 2 million dollars or trade him and retain the 2 million he's overpaid so the new team only spends what he's worth. Not sure I follow this logic unless you are getting a legitimate top offensive talent in return.
There isn't logic to it with the expansion draft gone and our cap situation under control, and Poile isn't going to retain salary. Montreal can pay us a value that will make us willing to part with one of our top 2 centers, and they can potentially add a contract to it to help balance the cap. No need to consider it otherwise.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I refer to it as the Original Farce... that era did more to damage the league's future than help it. The league could have cemented itself in many more US markets at the time, but chose to be a greedy, closed doors league (led by James Norris) while the NFL and NBA were busy gaining footholds and it would have been even worse without the WHA forcing their hand at times.

Reactions: Viqsi

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Looks like there are only 11 teams who have the requisite compensation picks to make a $10M offersheet for Elias Pettersson. (2 1sts + 2nd + 3rd). (Lots more could go higher into the full 4 1sts).

But of those 11 who has $10M in open Cap space? Only 6 teams as I see it: Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, New Jersey, Seattle might be able to squeeze it in, and... us.

Now, I don't think teams who are very consciously deep in rebuilding and looking at top-5 picks the next 2 seasons can consider it. Strong drafts with big superstars at the top, you don't give up 2 cracks at those potential franchise stars to add Pettersson now in a rebuilding year. And not like he's going to sign in Buffalo anyway, right? So that kind of takes most of those teams out.

Does it still take us out? I think we're still at least hoping to compete for a playoff spot, so for us, we dare to dream our picks aren't going to be as high as many of those teams. And Pettersson you would think makes us all the more likely to be able to compete for a playoff spot.

I mean, we all know David Poile is not making any offer sheets. That's not gonna happen. So it's 100% hypothetical only. But for me, as a Fantasy Armchair GM... $10.275M for Pettersson... I might just do that. Especially if extension talks with Forsberg weren't giving me any warm fuzzy feelings about him returning.

Probably Vancouver would match even at $10.275M. Although it would definitely give them fits as they try to sign Quinn Hughes too. But I'd at least put it in on my list of things to think about as the Fantasy GM. I'd probably still end up being too scared to do it, just because "what if" we really do suck badly this year and our pick does land near the top of the draft? Also, even "middle round" 1st picks can be pretty good... Askarov, Svechkov, Tomasino... a couple prospects like that are pretty valuable. And it does seem a little futile if you are basically certain Vancouver will match anyway.

So in the end, I pass. Anybody think differently? :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Looks like there are only 11 teams who have the requisite compensation picks to make a $10M offersheet for Elias Pettersson. (2 1sts + 2nd + 3rd). (Lots more could go higher into the full 4 1sts).

But of those 11 who has $10M in open Cap space? Only 6 teams as I see it: Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, New Jersey, Seattle might be able to squeeze it in, and... us.

Now, I don't think teams who are very consciously deep in rebuilding and looking at top-5 picks the next 2 seasons can consider it. Strong drafts with big superstars at the top, you don't give up 2 cracks at those potential franchise stars to add Pettersson now in a rebuilding year. And not like he's going to sign in Buffalo anyway, right? So that kind of takes most of those teams out.

Does it still take us out? I think we're still at least hoping to compete for a playoff spot, so for us, we dare to dream our picks aren't going to be as high as many of those teams. And Pettersson you would think makes us all the more likely to be able to compete for a playoff spot.

I mean, we all know David Poile is not making any offer sheets. That's not gonna happen. So it's 100% hypothetical only. But for me, as a Fantasy Armchair GM... $10.275M for Pettersson... I might just do that. Especially if extension talks with Forsberg weren't giving me any warm fuzzy feelings about him returning.

Probably Vancouver would match even at $10.275M. Although it would definitely give them fits as they try to sign Quinn Hughes too. But I'd at least put it in on my list of things to think about as the Fantasy GM. I'd probably still end up being too scared to do it, just because "what if" we really do suck badly this year and our pick does land near the top of the draft? Also, even "middle round" 1st picks can be pretty good... Askarov, Svechkov, Tomasino... a couple prospects like that are pretty valuable. And it does seem a little futile if you are basically certain Vancouver will match anyway.

So in the end, I pass. Anybody think differently? :dunno:

Interesting thought, but I'll pass. I have a feeling we will be drafting at least in the top-15 the next two years so I want to see that card rather than giving up the Moon for Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad