Around the NHL 2021-22

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We will see, it’s not like I think Neal will set the league on fire either. He would’ve been a good depth piece to have.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Pretty typical James Neal.

-Looks like an elite player for 10 games a season
-Injured for 10 games a season
-Mostly invisible for 60 games a season

Looks like he's using some of his uberness in the pre-season now, which probably doesn't bode well for his regular season.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pretty typical James Neal.

-Looks like an elite player for 10 games a season
-Injured for 10 games a season
-Mostly invisible for 60 games a season

Looks like he's using some of his uberness in the pre-season now, which probably doesn't bode well for his regular season.

But its the only way he gets a contract, so...

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Preds don’t need Neal. He’s done; at least pretty soon. BUT he’s been an elite NHL player for a long time. Give him his credit; he was good for Preds for awhile and I enjoyed watching him.

Reactions: preds1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Preds don’t need Neal. He’s done; at least pretty soon. BUT he’s been an elite NHL player for a long time. Give him his credit; he was good for Preds for awhile and I enjoyed watching him.
No one is not giving him credit, he just hasn't been good in several years.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I apparently missed this story from last week but apparently the NHL is cracking down on crosschecks this season. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like when they started emphasizing slashing calls and everyone in the world got one. Have to think Ekholm is going to take a lot of penalties to start the season though.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I apparently missed this story from last week but apparently the NHL is cracking down on crosschecks this season. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like when they started emphasizing slashing calls and everyone in the world got one. Have to think Ekholm is going to take a lot of penalties to start the season though.
Josi already takes a ton of them so I'd worry more about him.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Glad they’re going to actually start calling them. Hopefully our guys figure it out before taking a bunch of penalties

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Notice they only had the guts to make this change once it looked like Weber won't play...

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

It'll be and ugly parade to the penalty box at first, then they'll back off a bit as players adjust. But they'll learn what they can get away with and push the envelope more and more as the season progresses. Same story every time the league has cracked down on something in the last 15 years.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Glad they’re going to actually start calling them. Hopefully our guys figure it out before taking a bunch of penalties

They’ll call them until the playoffs. At that point the only illegal crosscheck will be the one that injures someone.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They’ll call them until the playoffs. At that point the only illegal crosscheck will be the one that injures someone.
Or not even then. The NHL is such a dumpster fire on officiating. It's legitimately sad how we all automatically know exactly what to expect from this. :(

Reactions: LCPreds

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
First games on TNT last night- really strange watching hockey on TNT- overall I was pretty impressed. The best thing about it was they have what I think is a very good scorebug, which is always key for me. So much better than that absolute disaster one on Bally Sports......

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I know this is very unlikely to happen, but you have to think Poile is at least going to kick the tires on Eichel.

We are a team in flux, what does it matter if our star forward is out for most of the season? If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose and that's ok because we are rebuilding.

I'm sure the NHL wants the situation to end sooner rather than later. Looking at the teams that have cap space... it get's really interesting especially if Buffalo doesn't want to move him in division.

Really comes down to Seattle, Preds, Anaheim, Arizona, Columbus, NY Rangers.

Have to think Joey, Askarov, maybe Tomasino going the other way... but it's at least interesting to think about.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
We don't have a prospect I wouldn't trade for Eichel aside from maybe Askarov. Just my perspective. It's a gamble, but nothing we have projects as more than a player that is "average" at their projected role.

Reactions: Mass

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We don't have a prospect I wouldn't trade for Eichel aside from maybe Askarov. Just my perspective. It's a gamble, but nothing we have projects as more than a player that is "average" at their projected role.
Conversely, there is almost nothing I would give up to take on Eichel.

Assuming he doesn't play at all this year, then he only has 3 years left on his contract. Then he's a UFA. I can't see what next level he brings us to in those 3 years that he didn't manage to bring Buffalo to. And there's always the chance he never plays again at all, ever. Or never at a #1C level, anyway.

If I desperately wanted to spend $10M on a gamble, I'd just take that $10M onto the UFA market and not give up anything at all from our prospect pool. Get somebody who at least starts off healthy.

I would need Buffalo to pay me to take on Eichel at this point. (Which of course they wouldn't do, I'm not asking for that - I'm just saying that in my crusty GM seat, that's what it would take).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Conversely, there is almost nothing I would give up to take on Eichel.

Assuming he doesn't play at all this year, then he only has 3 years left on his contract. Then he's a UFA. I can't see what next level he brings us to in those 3 years that he didn't manage to bring Buffalo to. And there's always the chance he never plays again at all, ever. Or never at a #1C level, anyway.

If I desperately wanted to spend $10M on a gamble, I'd just take that $10M onto the UFA market and not give up anything at all from our prospect pool. Get somebody who at least starts off healthy.

I would need Buffalo to pay me to take on Eichel at this point. (Which of course they wouldn't do, I'm not asking for that - I'm just saying that in my crusty GM seat, that's what it would take).
Agreed, I'm not touching him with a 10ft poll let alone handing good assets for him. That thing has worse than Forsberg deal written all over it for the team that does it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad