Around the NHL 2021-22

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I also am a bit reserved concerning Carrier. He looked fine, but it was only for 15 games and with Ellis still taking up the spotlight at RD. I think we may be doing a mistake putting him out there as the 1RD, and overloading him like we did with Fabbro.

Right now, I am unsure who is our 1RD. I think Fabbro needs some time to mature on the third pair. Myers has his issues but could be a good complement to Josi. Carrier holds the spot right now, but has very limited experience. Benning is a good depth option, but is 4th in the pecking order as is.

I am hopeful with Farrance. He looked promising in the two games and was dominant in the Rookie Camp. He might be a good depth option as a more skilled guy, but ultimately I think he could use a full year in the AHL before making the jump.
Someone hast to play RD1 and 2 and if I were to bet they will start with Fabbro 1 and Carrier 2 both have warts but thats where the roster is. The challenge is Josi and Ekhols ability cover them.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I am hopeful with Farrance. He looked promising in the two games and was dominant in the Rookie Camp. He might be a good depth option as a more skilled guy, but ultimately I think he could use a full year in the AHL before making the jump.
Farrance has to jump over Borowiecki, Harpur, and Davies on paper to be on the third pairing. Not impossible, but letting him develop in Milwaukee wouldn't be the worst thing either. Hopefully Borowiecki can bounce back from his concussion issues this season. With the offseason being so short, there hasn't been the normal rest and recovery time.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Farrance has to jump over Borowiecki, Harpur, and Davies on paper to be on the third pairing. Not impossible, but letting him develop in Milwaukee wouldn't be the worst thing either. Hopefully Borowiecki can bounce back from his concussion issues this season. With the offseason being so short, there hasn't been the normal rest and recovery time.
We better worry about Josi’s concussion issues also.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I wouldn't include Davies in that list.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
James Neal on a PTO with the Blues.
Someone on the trade board mentioned he had COVID last year and it really affected him apparently

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Another “Wild” move. Some GMs just go crazy on these deals. Hurts everybody. Reckon old Leipold would like to have some of his Suter/Parise money back?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Such is the risk when dealing with a UFA. Just like in your real life, depending on your industry, you are often worth more to someone else than you are to your current employer. And just like these guys you have to decide if some of the aspects of this are ok with you. Are you willing to move? Will there be any family impact? What is the risk? Etc. Same problem, different scale.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Anymore than Duchene?

I never thought Duchene was a superstar but I didn't think he'd come here and crap the bed like that. I know there's blame to go around but last season was by far the worst of his career.
Probably not. I didn't follow Duchene that closely (don't really follow anyone all that closely outside of the Preds, not enough time in the day) but he at least had a track record that would have made you think these last two seasons weren't going to be like this. But, they were, so who really knows, right?

Reactions: triggrman

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Anymore than Duchene?

I never thought Duchene was a superstar but I didn't think he'd come here and crap the bed like that. I know there's blame to go around but last season was by far the worst of his career.
Some would say that a history of success and achievement mitigates the risk. (Everything has risk.) With Duchene, there was a track record and that suggested he wouldn't suck. Still it was a risk and so far he hasn't been worth the contract.

With Kaprizov the record is one pandemic shortened season in what was an objectively weak "Pacific league".

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't think Kaprizov is as big of a risk as some people do. If he had come out of nowhere it would be different, but he had a ton of hype from the KHL where he set a bunch of scoring records. So finally coming over last season, and living up to the hype is a much safer gamble than someone without his history having a great rookie season.

I'm not saying he's worth the contract, but at least there's some history to go on with him that lessens the risk.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think we all knew it was going to happen eventually. I hope they keep it more inconspicuous than some of the ridiculousness that's out there.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wish that at a minimum they made them keep the same color scheme as the jersey but I doubt that happens.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Neal with the hat-trick in the first preseason game.. maybe that PTO wouldn’t have been such a bad idea.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Even if it's a preseason game against a scrub roster, you can't dismiss an NHL hat trick... but Neal has a track record of underperforming in recent years despite being given the single best opportunity in the league of playing with McDavid. I see no reason to believe he would fit in and succeed with the current Preds lineup, if we were going to hope for a turnaround from a former 30 goal scorer, we'd have just kept Arvidsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad