Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
According to Uber's terms of service, an Uber ride is a place where people should feel free from being recorded.

Uber is trying to get the video pulled and when they find out who the driver is, they will be getting let go.

The players are victims of someone trying to make a buck and violating an agreement that they had freely entered into as terms of being an Uber driver.

I know what their terms are, and it's still naive to think it won't/can't get out...or at the very least the driver wouldn't post what he heard on social media, etc.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I know what their terms are, and it's still naive to think it won't/can't get out...or at the very least the driver wouldn't post what he heard on social media, etc.
If the driver just posted what he heard, no one would have given a shit. This story only has legs because there's a video involved.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If the driver just posted what he heard, no one would have given a ****. This story only has legs because there's a video involved.

So what? The players didn't have any idea what would happen. If they were recorded by video, audio, etc...they didn't think it through...out of being naive or stupid. It's simple, don't put yourself at risk and you won't get caught up in embarrassing situations. Is that lesson really so hard to agree with?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So what? The players didn't have any idea what would happen. If they were recorded by video, audio, etc...they didn't think it through...out of being naive or stupid. It's simple, don't put yourself at risk and you won't get caught up in embarrassing situations. Is that lesson really so hard to agree with?

So, you feel it is the victim of unauthorized recording that is to blame and not the person doing the unauthorized recording?

Reactions: DJN21

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Its only unauthorized if its a two party state

Whether they consented to being recorded or not has nothing to do with the laws of the state they were in.

This driver was acting out of pure selfishness and I have much bigger issues with his conduct than that of the Sens players.

But, I guess I expect more out of people today than others do.

Reactions: joshjull

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Whether they consented to being recorded or not has nothing to do with the laws of the state they were in.

This driver was acting out of pure selfishness and I have much bigger issues with his conduct than that of the Sens players.

I agree with your assessment of the driver, and he/she should lose their job over this, if not also be sued.

However, when you are a figure of prominence in any way, you do need to be more circumspect, especially in today's day-and-age. The time and location they chose for their comments was "unwise."

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Can you tell me of any job in the world where when employees get together they don't take shots at their boss?
I would never work in such a place. I’ve liked most of my bosses and some relationships that had shaky starts turned out well with the help of some feedback.
Is it really the norm to not respect/dislike your boss in NA?

The few I’ve disliked have been psychos I’ve confronted head on (found surveillance equipment/bugged meeting rooms, racism etc).

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Driver seems like a dousche nozzle, but then again privacy ends when you talk in front of a stranger.

Hopefully this means something to the coaches don’t mean anything crowd. Apparently actual players think it means a lot.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I would never work in such a place. I’ve liked most of my bosses and some relationships that had shaky starts turned out well with the help of some feedback.
Is it really the norm to not respect/dislike your boss in NA?

The few I’ve disliked have been psychos I’ve confronted head on (found surveillance equipment/bugged meeting rooms, racism etc).

The states in particular give ownership or bosses in general a ton more power than Europe. From at will employment aka firing without cause to extensive control over work product, I suspect you would be freaked out at our working conditions comparatively.

My wife is European and her mind blew up at the lack of maternity leave offered here.

Reactions: Baccus and HaNotsri

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The states in particular give ownership or bosses in general a ton more power than Europe. From at will employment aka firing without cause to extensive control over work product, I suspect you would be freaked out at our working conditions comparatively.

My wife is European and her mind blew up at the lack of maternity leave offered here.
It’s kind of weird since so many great researchers comes from the states, you and the germans are pretty much the experts when it comes to leadership, motivation and organizational development.

Yeah we have 480 payed days here in Sweden (240 days for each parent, only 80% of the salary so it’s not that great). My brothers’ wife transfered 150 of her days to him and their kid is low/almost no maintenance so he’s just chilling for more than a year going for different excursions with his daughter.
My cat is seriously more of a hazzle. Kind of envious, probably would be a bad reason to get a baby just to travel to Buffalo for a couple of months to watch games though...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So, you feel it is the victim of unauthorized recording that is to blame and not the person doing the unauthorized recording?

I was never making a legal argument or weighing the players' stupidity against the driver's ethics. Since you want to press me on that though...

Both parties are to blame. One for being dumb and somewhat disrespectful, the other for being unethical. I don't care who anyone feels is "more" to blame. It's a subjective argument that I don't think is worth the time.

Legally, while the driver apparently broke Uber policy, there is no criminal law broken. Two party states vs one party states certainly determine whether a recording can be used against someone in a criminal trial. This recording is not going to court though, so it's a non-issue. It could become a civil issue if Ottawa terminated the players' contracts based on the video. We all know that won't happen, but if it did and wherever this happened was a two party state, it would strengthen a civil case for the players against Uber.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It’s kind of weird since so many great researchers comes from the states, you and the germans are pretty much the experts when it comes to leadership, motivation and organizational development.

Yeah we have 480 payed days here in Sweden (240 days for each parent, only 80% of the salary so it’s not that great). My brothers’ wife transfered 150 of her days to him and their kid is low/almost no maintenance so he’s just chilling for more than a year going for different excursions with his daughter.
My cat is seriously more of a hazzle. Kind of envious, probably would be a bad reason to get a baby just to travel to Buffalo for a couple of months to watch games though...

My wife is an attorney working for county government, with very good healthcare. Her maternity leave is 8 weeks, plus whatever vacation she might have leftover, which is at most 4 weeks if she doesn’t use any in the given year. After that she can get unpaid leave if her dept is willing to work with her.

That’s for a lawyer in government in a state that is far from libertarian by national standards. I as a man, get zero leave for the birth of my child.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Lucicken is still such a parody
Edmonton with lots of dirty plays. They finally called the most obvious.

If you don’t like Russel getting bodied into the boards, maybe Leon shouldn’t throw his elbow so ridiculously.

Also besides possibly Jame, which other Sabres fan are there tonight?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wow, you guys are more concerned with the Sens than with Q being available. Were the pitchforks for Housley's head put away?
Becasue the talk about Q and Housley was moved to the Housley thread. Plenty of talk about there. Don’t need to derail this tread with it as well.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
FWIW, I’ll start an Uber ride or equivalent where patrons can ride around and bitch about Phil Housley and then we’ll knowing post it online. And we’ll have HaNostri’s cat ride around with us, just to cut him a break.

Who’s in???

Reactions: Eichel9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad