Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Continued from here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...9-part-3-regular-season-opens.2540645/page-41

And just to make sure this beaut doesn't go unnoticed...

:D

full

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
@Jim Bob,

I think guys at the highest level due process things better than worse players, but physics also are real and you just can’t move your body as quickly as things happen out there, particularly in the given play.

But your second paragraph is my point exactly when I say they are taking hitting out of the game.

Players who are great hitters are hammers and they do look for hits. And if you neuter them to that level, they become ineffective or less effective than a skilled guy who is less able or interested in hitting.

Which is exactly why I said they are taking hitting out of the game. If every player thinks like Reinhart, you will have far less questionable hits. But to achieve that you will have far less hits in general.

My problem is that I just don’t have a desire to see the game turn into non collision hockey.

It takes away a huge element of courage and it takes away a huge element of risk in attempting to get into position to score.

I think the league is headed that way to avoid lawsuits and increase scoring.

I just don’t think I have to pretend that they are doing so by only penalizing improper hits. If we chip away at every legal hit by a technical violation under super slo mo, you will eliminate hitting in a traditional sense.

It certainly how I would do it, if I wanted to do it over time and not too abruptly.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

I'm awaiting the day something this intelligent comes out of management/coaches of the Sabres.

I'm also awaiting the day our local media can ask something smart.

Reactions: GellMann

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I'm awaiting the day something this intelligent comes out of management/coaches of the Sabres.

I'm also awaiting the day our local media can ask something smart.

Yeah in fairness, there might be a lot of thought that goes into various GM and HC decisions in Buffalo, but we'll never know because we have a clown show for local sports reporting.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I’ve said it several times...Hynes is legitimate.

His practices, his management of the roster and the staff, his displays of emotions at various points of the up and down ride of the year... I’m a fan

Reactions: Top Pair Imposter

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I’ve said it several times...Hynes is legitimate.

His practices, his management of the roster and the staff, his displays of emotions at various points of the up and down ride of the year... I’m a fan

Did Botts hire Hynes for the Baby Pens?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Did Botts hire Hynes for the Baby Pens?
I think that was all Shero.

He has skated off the ice during the middle portion of practice before. He’s emotional and passionate, and he cares...and his players feed off of it. He has the team playing the style he wants, and though they’re not “Pens” successful yet, they’re kind of good when you actually dissect their roster and see that it’s nothing earth shattering on paper.

Shero can’t sing his praises enough. Shero said something about being supportive, being fast and attacking when he himself got the job. That’s Hynes...and that’s how they play. He strikes me as the kind of coach who will get a job after this and do even better. He is one of my current favorites.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Housley should show the team tape from this Blackhawks - Canucks game tonight.

Hawks aren't what they once were, but they are still an excellent puck possession team. Guys are constantly cycling around the o zone looking for an open guy, Vancouver has barely gotten any scoring chances because of it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
@Jim Bob,

I think guys at the highest level due process things better than worse players, but physics also are real and you just can’t move your body as quickly as things happen out there, particularly in the given play.

But your second paragraph is my point exactly when I say they are taking hitting out of the game.

Players who are great hitters are hammers and they do look for hits. And if you neuter them to that level, they become ineffective or less effective than a skilled guy who is less able or interested in hitting.

Which is exactly why I said they are taking hitting out of the game. If every player thinks like Reinhart, you will have far less questionable hits. But to achieve that you will have far less hits in general.

My problem is that I just don’t have a desire to see the game turn into non collision hockey.

It takes away a huge element of courage and it takes away a huge element of risk in attempting to get into position to score.

I think the league is headed that way to avoid lawsuits and increase scoring.

I just don’t think I have to pretend that they are doing so by only penalizing improper hits. If we chip away at every legal hit by a technical violation under super slo mo, you will eliminate hitting in a traditional sense.

It certainly how I would do it, if I wanted to do it over time and not too abruptly.

The NHL, USA Hockey, and most hockey governing bodies are looking to move the line away from turning a blind eye to reckless hits that injure players.

I have no issue with moving in that direction.

And when the NHL suspends a player for a hit where the head was the primary point of contact, I won't complain about it.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Alton Brown said Buffalo wings are nothing special as locations who pride themselves on particular cuisines tend to rest on their laurels. Just another mark for the hit list.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The NHL, USA Hockey, and most hockey governing bodies are looking to move the line away from turning a blind eye to reckless hits that injure players.

I have no issue with moving in that direction.

And when the NHL suspends a player for a hit where the head was the primary point of contact, I won't complain about it.

That’s fine. I think we can agree that they are doing that, including borderline hits. And that by doing that they will slowly eliminate hitting.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That’s fine. I think we can agree that they are doing that, including borderline hits. And that by doing that they will slowly eliminate hitting.

I don't expect that hitting goes away entirely.

We will just continue to see an evolution of the game away from players with more physicality and less skill to more skill and less physicality.

But, it will always be a physical game.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

We will just continue to see an evolution of the game away from players with more physicality and less skill to more skill and less physicality.

I hope that eventually a really physical (but skilled) team dominates all of the small fast teams en route to a cup run and the league starts to shift back to that. Non scummy Tom Wilson types who punish & intimidate opposing players.

Hockey is more fun when its a physical game.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I guess that’s a relative question.

It’s so less physical than it was in the mid 90s for example that kids now wouldn’t be able to believe it. Name the star and they wouldn’t have a career, Stevens, Pronger, Lindros, etc. A regular Peca hit would be a 25 game suspension.

The Campbell hit is probably the best hit I’ve ever seen live and was perfectly in play and today it would be a lengthy suspension because he caught Umbergers chin as he drove straight thru his chest.

So sure, people will still get bumped or pushed into the wall, and slashes and cross checks sort of. But under these rules, you are taking an enormous risk of suspension even going for a big open ice hit just due to the nature of people trying to duck out of hits or move at the last second as is natural.

I guess I didn’t realize it was controversial to say hitting is being removed from the game.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I guess that’s a relative question.

It’s so less physical than it was in the mid 90s for example that kids now wouldn’t be able to believe it. Name the star and they wouldn’t have a career, Stevens, Pronger, Lindros, etc. A regular Peca hit would be a 25 game suspension.

The Campbell hit is probably the best hit I’ve ever seen live and was perfectly in play and today it would be a lengthy suspension because he caught Umbergers chin as he drove straight thru his chest.

So sure, people will still get bumped or pushed into the wall, and slashes and cross checks sort of. But under these rules, you are taking an enormous risk of suspension even going for a big open ice hit just due to the nature of people trying to duck out of hits or move at the last second as is natural.

I guess I didn’t realize it was controversial to say hitting is being removed from the game.

It is likely a semantical debate.

You say things like "they will slowly eliminate hitting" and "hitting is being removed from the game" and it sounds to me like you foresee a future where the NHL is like women's hockey in that body checking is illegal.

I don't see it going that route.

I do see the game moving more and more toward a skill game versus "old time hockey".

Personally, I prefer speed and skill over grind it out hockey.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It is likely a semantical debate.

You say things like "they will slowly eliminate hitting" and "hitting is being removed from the game" and it sounds to me like you foresee a future where the NHL is like women's hockey in that body checking is illegal.

I don't see it going that route.

I do see the game moving more and more toward a skill game versus "old time hockey".

Personally, I prefer speed and skill over grind it out hockey.

Ok, ya I see where your coming from. Yes I totally see the game heading towards the woman’s game. Certainly from what I saw in The Olympics this year, where the women were allowed to knock each other down along the boards without penalties for the most part.

You may disagree, but as far as I can see all the evidence is pointing that way. Five years ago that Borowiecki hit would not have even been a discussion for a major penalty, let alone a suspension. Ten years ago that hit is in a highlight reel with a reference to how his technique was great.

Now maybe there is some line that they are going to stop at and guys will be able to walk it, and the best will be able to pull off the Provorov hit once every ten games. But it seems to me like if we are talking about semantic lines, the league is headed far more towards the current women’s rules as a goal 5-10 years down the line, codified or not, than they are the level of physical play that has been played historically in the league until the last few years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ok, ya I see where your coming from. Yes I totally see the game heading towards the woman’s game. Certainly from what I saw in The Olympics this year, where the women were allowed to knock each other down along the boards without penalties for the most part.

You may disagree, but as far as I can see all the evidence is pointing that way. Five years ago that Borowiecki hit would not have even been a discussion for a major penalty, let alone a suspension. Ten years ago that hit is in a highlight reel with a reference to how his technique was great.

Now maybe there is some line that they are going to stop at and guys will be able to walk it, and the best will be able to pull off the Provorov hit once every ten games. But it seems to me like if we are talking about semantic lines, the league is headed far more towards the current women’s rules as a goal 5-10 years down the line, codified or not, than they are the level of physical play that has been played historically in the league until the last few years.

2013–14 NHL suspensions and fines - Wikipedia

5 years ago, that was probably a suspension.

There were 15 suspensions for illegal hits to the head in 2013-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->