Around the NHL 2012-2013 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I envy flyer fans. They just need a goalie and to repair that defense.

Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, Courturier, Read, Voracek. Now that's a pretty sweet young offensive core.

About that:

102418782_crop_650x440.jpg

This guy called; said "Don't get too attached, I'll trade/buyout/cut every last one of them if we don't win the Cup by Christmas next year"

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Ryan Miller's name is getting tossed out there also. They might have to give up real assets in that scenario though.

This is how an owner with bottomless pockets operates in the salary cap era. More power to them if that's what they wanna do. From the outside perspective it's completely reckless management.

Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, Courturier, Read, Voracek. Now that's a pretty sweet young offensive core.

True enough. Tons of youth up front. Fun to watch no doubt. It'll be interesting to see Couturier and Schenn adjust to bigger roles in a full season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Only fix goaltending and defense? That's pretty tricky, actually. Hasn't Philly been trying to do that for years and years? Pronger was the answer, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They'll most likely have to unload Read and/or Voracek when they need new deals.

Chicago has been stupid good about getting the most out of their players before they need a new deal and have to be let go. It was Buff, Ladd, Neimi, and Versteeg the first time. Now it's Bickell, Stalberg, and Crawford (imagine he'll get a nice raise from his $2.6 after next season). And we'll see how the RFA deals shake out. Seems the window for a heavy favorite team is pretty small with the current cap.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
At least their GM is willing to take chances. He's an idiot but still...

They have also have a couple potential young SUPERSTARS.

That their GM will likely trade before they fully develop.

I'd rather a passive GM who wins than an aggressive one who loses.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
That their GM will likely trade before they fully develop.

I'd rather a passive GM who wins than an aggressive one who loses.

Since Holland became passive he's won just as much as Holmer. Flyer's get healthy and sign a decent goalie. They'll be serious contenders this season for sure.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Since Holland became passive he's won just as much as Holmer. Flyer's get healthy and sign a decent goalie. They'll be serious contenders this season for sure.

Actually Holland's team has won 437 games in that span to Holmgrens 300.

Although I'm sure you are talking about Cup wins, in which case Holland is up 1-0.

If you're going to pick a GM to compare to Holland at least pick a good one. Holmgren is one of the worst.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Actually Holland's team has won 437 games in that span to Holmgrens 300.

Although I'm sure you are talking about Cup wins, in which case Holland is up 1-0.

If you're going to pick a GM to compare to Holland at least pick a good one. Holmgren is one of the worst.

When I said passive, that meant post Hossa signing.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Only fix goaltending and defense? That's pretty tricky, actually. Hasn't Philly been trying to do that for years and years? Pronger was the answer, but alas, it was not meant to be.

they should do what Columbus did and try to trade for a decent young goalie from a team that overspent on a mediocre starter in free agency.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
At least their GM is willing to take chances. He's an idiot but still...

They have also have a couple potential young SUPERSTARS.

you must have a very loose definition of the term superstar if you really think that(especially since you even put it in all caps!)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Yep. They've been trying to do that for several years now.

And it's not easy to do via FA.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Holland's style changed with the Salary Cap not after he signed Hossa, you just picked then so you could discount the cup win.

Even the Hossa signing was largely passive, wasn't it? I thought Winters called Holland to gauge interest in Hossa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad